The PETER TRAVERS TOP TEN LIST contest - 2011

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: The PETER TRAVERS TOP TEN LIST contest - 2011

Post by FilmFan720 »

I think it may have been 2001, because I have a very strong memory of that Top 10 List with Ocean's 11 in it. Don't ask me why.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

There've been a few gaps in between years, but I think the first contest was 2002.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

How many years in a row has this been running?
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Yes, it's the 2011 thread. I bumped it up to say sorry, but I won't be able to hold the contest this year. It's gotten a little late and I won't have much time. I'm really sorry I let it go for too long, but if anyone else wants to run it this year, please do. Travers' list will probably be up by the end of the week, or maybe a little later.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sonic Youth wrote:The list is out! In fact, the list has been out since before rolo's and maybe Magilla's submission. However, it doesn't look as if you two had peeked before submitting so I will allow them. Moderator's privilege!
I promise I had no idea. I just used RottenTomatoes to see which films he gave four and three-and-a-half star reviews to, and then just put them in random order (except DRIVE which I was certain was going to be number one).
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Congrats to FilmFan. Can't believe I tied for second place.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Woohoo!!!!!

Sonic, I don't think there has been an in-between year. I either get really lucky or my true colors show:)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

And the winner of the 2011 Peter Travers Top Ten List contest is.....

FilmFan720!!

It's really amusing. Every year without fail, FilmFan either wins or comes in dead last. I can't remember an in-between year. But this year, his guesses have merited a positive outcome. He guessed 9 of the films correctly, and he guessed their correct places on the list an astonishing 4 times (The Artist, The Descendants, Moneyball and Harry Potter at nos. 2, 3, 4 and 10 respectively). Despite a one point deduction for missing the tie, he wins the contest with a total of twelve points. Congratulations! Could someone check the trunk of his car to see if Travers is in there?

This was a decent scoring year, and except for FilmFan no one did particularly well or poorly for their scores to stand apart from the rest. Everyone is tied with someone. The runner-ups are:

10 points: anonymous1980, Sabin, Big Magilla, and rolotomasi99.
9 points: Sonic Youth (hey, I didn't suck this year!), Damien and Okri.
8 points: Dien and Barrybrooks2011 (welcome back!)
7 points: rudeboy, ksrymy and Bog.

Thank you all for your participation. I think this year had the most contestants of any other year. The UAADB community is still alive and kicking.

Feel free to double-check your scores in case I made any mistakes.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/list ... e-19691231

And here's a comment someone left over there:
I'm pretty annoyed with you right now, Peter Travers. I have been compiling a list of every movie you gave 3 1/2 or 4 stars to this past year. Margin Call you only gave 3 stars. Yet it is #8 on your last. When I had the chance to see the movie in the theaters, I instead chose to follow your advice and go for a 3 1/2 star movies not on your list: A Dangerous Method, Melancholia, Like Crazy, Marth Marcy May Marlene, The Skin I Live In, 50/50, The Ides of March, Higher Ground, Attack the Block, Cars 2, X-Men:First Class, Incendies, Meek's Cutoff, Hanna, Win Win.

Then, you chose to give The Descendants a 4 star rating, and The Artist a 3 1/2 star rating, but you say that The Artist is higher on your list than The Descendants?
After your top 10 list last year actually were the 10 best picture oscar nominees, I've been paying more attention to your reviews. But here, you have contraidctied yourself in two different areas. I can't accept that from the person who is supposed to help me chose which movie to spend money on and go see, and which to wait for video.
For this, you belong in the Scum Bucket.
Was this written by any one of you in a fit of anger, by any chance? I do not approve of abusing the Trav!

Was Margin Call a three-star movie? Hmm... I may have misled everyone in my rules. Er, sorry.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

The list is out! In fact, the list has been out since before rolo's and maybe Magilla's submission. However, it doesn't look as if you two had peeked before submitting so I will allow them. Moderator's privilege!

1. Drive
2. The Artist
3. The Descendants
4. Moneyball
5. Midnight in Paris
6. Hugo
7. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
8. Margin Call
9. The Tree of Life
10. The Help / Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows 2 / War Horse

A THREE-WAY tie at no. 10. I don't know if that will be an issue or not.

Time to tabulate! Expect the winners later tonight. (Thank god the weather is awful where I am.)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Who cares, I'm not going to win anyway, but go ahead and drop Win Win. I'll take my chances with Incredibly Loud.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote:No idea, no time to check out his reviews so this is pretty much a crap shoot for me, but being somewhat familiar with his tastes I'll give it a shot:

1. Drive
2. Moneyball
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
4. The Tree of Life
5. The Descendants
6. The Artist
7. The Rise of the Planet of the Apes
8. War Horse
9. Hugo
10. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close if he sees it in time - Win Win if he doesn't
Sorry, Magilla, but you've got to choose one, unless you want it to be a tie (for which you risk losing a point). That's what makes the contest challenging.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I have never done this before, but everyone else seems to be doing it so why not.

1. Drive
2. The Descendants
3. The Artist
4. The Tree Of Life
5. Midnight In Paris
6. Moneyball
7. Hugo
8. Melancholia
9. Win Win
10. Attack The Block
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

No idea, no time to check out his reviews so this is pretty much a crap shoot for me, but being somewhat familiar with his tastes I'll give it a shot:

1. Drive
2. Moneyball
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
4. The Tree of Life
5. The Descendants
6. The Artist
7. The Rise of the Planet of the Apes
8. War Horse
9. Hugo
10. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close if he sees it in time - Win Win if he doesn't
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

This is a great turnout this year, guys. Thanks to everyone for participating.

Anyone else?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “2011”