Razzie Predictions

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

7/10. And that will likely be the predictions high point of my weekend.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

'Airbender', 'Sex' Win Razzies
AFP

Martial arts fantasy flick "The Last Airbender" have swept the board at the pre-Oscar Razzie awards for the worst movies of 2010, while "Sex and the City 2" also won one of the dubious honors.

"Airbender," a box office hit but a critical miss, took the Golden Raspberry for worst movie, worst director, worst screenplay and worst supporting actor on Saturday, as well as the useful new category of Worst Eye-Gouging Mis-Use of 3D.

Director M. Night Shyamalan, described as a "repeat offender" at the annual spoof eve-of-Oscars awards, could take some comfort as he failed to win Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel, for which he was also nominated.

"It's this kind of movie that makes you think that the producers had the Razzies in mind when they did it," said John Wilson, founder of the Golden Raspberry Award Foundation, which has been handout out the Razzies since 1981.

The movie tells the story of Aang, a young successor to a long line of Avatars, who must put his childhood ways aside and stop the Fire Nation from enslaving the Water, Earth and Air nations.

Shyamalan "re-imagined the faux-anime TV series 'The Last Airbender' into a jumbled, jump-cut mess of a movie that fans of the TV show hated even more than critics did (if that?s even possible!" said Razzie organizers.

Someone must have liked it though, as the summer 2010 movie has so far taken nearly $320 million at the box office around the world, according to the Box Office Mojo movie tracking website.

"Sex and the City 2" -- which has earned $290 million -- meanwhile earned worst ensemble Razzie, as well as the worst actress award, jointly bestowed on the stars Sarah Jessica Parker, Kristin Davis, Kim Cattrall and Cynthia Nixon.

Worst actor meanwhile went to Ashton Kutcher, for his performance in two films: "Killers" and "Valentine's Day," while the unfortunate Jessica Alba won worst supporting actress for four movies she appeared in last year: "The Killer Inside Me," "Little Fockers," "Machete" and "Valentine's Day."

The Razzies winners were announced on the eve of the Academy Awards, the climax of Hollywood's annual awards season.

British historical drama "The King's Speech" is the frontrunner, although others vying for Oscars glory include Facebook movie "The Social Network," ballet thriller "Black Swan," and classic Western remake "True Grit."

Nominees for the Razzies rarely turn up to claim their awards up at the spoof pre-Oscars event -- this year was no exception at the Barnsdall Gallery Theater in Los Angeles.

Actress Halle Berry turned up in 2005, and Sanda Bullock gamely appeared last year, handing out DVD copies of her offending performance in box office flop "All About Steve."

The following day she won best actress Oscar for her role in "Blind Side."

While the Oscars winners are voted on by the nearly 6,000 voting members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the Razzies are chosen by 637 voters in 46 US states, and 17 other countries, organizers say.

Unlike the prestigious gold-plated Oscar statuettes handed out Sunday evening, the Razzie trophy is in the form of a raspberry, roughly the size of a golf ball, sprayed with gold paint and nestled on a reel of old Super 8 film.

It has an estimated value of about five dollars.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Last minute.

RAZZIES
Worst Movie
The Bounty Hunter
The Last Airbender
Sex and the City 2
Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Vampires Suck
LOSER – this is an interesting race between The Last Airbender, Sex and the City 2, and Twilight. The former two are in a horserace for worst reviewed movie of the year with Airbender at 6% on RT and Sex and the City 2 at 16%. Twilight has 50% but nine nominations. So does The Last Airbender. I'm thinking that Shyamalan's film as the most venemous word of mouth of the year, so it's the likely winner.

Worst Director
Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer, Vampires Suck
Michael Patrick King, Sex and the City 2
M. Night Shyamalan, The Last Airbender
David Slade, Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Sylvester Stallone, The Expendables
LOSER – Shyamalan has never "won" for directing. Just screenwriting and acting. I think his infamy will win out over the lesser known King or Slade. I don't think there's enough venom out there for The Expendables.

Worst Actor
Jack Black, Gulliver’s Travels
Gerard Butler, The Bounty Hunter
Ashton Kutcher, Killers & Valentine’s Day
Taylor Lautner, Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Robert Pattison, Twilight Saga: Eclipse & Remember Me
LOSER – hard to say. Black is probably out, and I don't think this is Kutcher's worst year. Butler could be The Bounty Hunter's sole "win", but I think Pattison is due at this point.

Worst Actress
Jennifer Aniston, The Bounty Hunter & The Switch
Miley Cyrus, The Last Song
Megan Fox, Jonah Hex
Katherine Heigl, Killers & Life As We Know It
Kim Cattrall, Kirsten Davis, Cynthia Nixon, AND Sarah Jessica Parker, Sex and the City 2
Kristen Stewart, Twilight Saga: Eclipse
LOSER – the SATC girls. Definitely.

Worst Supporting Actor
Billy Ray Cyrus, The Spy Next Door
George Lopez, Marmaduke, The Spy Next Door & Valentine’s Day
Dev Patel, The Last Airbender
Jackson Rathbone, The Last Airbender & Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Rob Schneider, Grown Ups
LOSER – Billy Ray Cyrus could win on principle, but he got it last year. I'm guessing Rathbone for both The Last Airbender and Twilight. That's about as horrid a year as you can hope for.

Worst Supporting Actress
Jessica Alba, The Killer Inside Me, Little Fockers, Machete, & Valentine’s Day
Cher, Burlesque
Liza Minnelli, Sex and the City 2
Nicola Peltz, The Last Airbender
Barbra Streisand, Little Fockers
LOSER – normally, I would pick either Minnelli or Streisand, but Jessica Alba has never won and she's had quite a productive year.

Worst Screenplay
The Last Airbender
Little Fockers
Sex and the City 2
Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Vampires Suck
LOSER – it's between The Last Airbender, SATC2, and Twilight. I'm thinking Shyamalan wins again.

Worst Screen Couple
Jennifer Aniston & Gerard Butler, The Bounty Hunter
Josh Brolin’s Face & Megan Fox’s Voice, Jonah Hex
The Entire Cast of Sex and the City 2
The Entire Cast of Twilight Saga: Eclipse
The Entire Cast of The Last Airbender
LOSER – same three. Guessing The Last Airbender again.

Worst Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel
Clash of the Titans
The Last Airbender
Sex and the City 2
Twilight: Eclipse
Vampires Suck
LOSER – this one I think will go to Twilight.

Worst 3-D
Cats & Dogs 2
Clash of the Titans
The Last Airbender
Nutcracker 3D
Saw 3D
LOSER – The Last Airbender.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”