ASC Winner

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I love INCEPTION and would be happy if it won every award it is nominated for, but I really hope the Academy gives the cinematography award to Deakins. I do not think he will ever be able to top his work on THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES, but this would still be a worthy victory for him.

Below is a short look at the cinematography of the film and an interview with Deakins. I posted this somewhere else, but I think it bears repeating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urfq1WJ8fcI
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'd say either of Deakins' 2007 entries were more fully representative of his abilities than True Grit (and preferable to any of this year's nominees). But there was enough of True Grit that was impressive for me not to begrudge him if he wins.

I guess my vote'd be for Black Swan.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

True Grit is the only Oscar nominee that takes place largely in exterior. The Academy used to LOVE those types of films, which should make it a strong contender.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote:True Grit has some absolutely glorious shots. The Coen Bros. are visual stylists, and yet True Grit for much of the run has the feel of the work of a Ron Howard western.

I couuldn't agree with you more. That closing shot of the older Mattie walking into the distance is one of the most stunning images from this past year in film. And the other shot of her walking down the hallway from behind (used prominently in the previews) is also quite evocative.

It's almost like a different cinematographer took over for the last half hour of the film.

Edited By flipp525 on 1297712409
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I don't like Inception but I think Wally Pfister's cinematography is so integrally tied to the use of practical special effects that the fact that it looks as good as it does wrt Nolan's dullard coverage scheme is rather miraculous. You can let single images wash over you in Inception and their irritation factor has nothing to do with his work.

True Grit has some absolutely glorious shots. The Coen Bros. are visual stylists, and yet True Grit for much of the run has the feel of the work of a Ron Howard western.

Edited By Sabin on 1297711957
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Surprised no one else has posted this yet.

Wally Pfister/Inception

Not definitive, because:

1) ASC, though not as utterly in their own world as they were in the 80s/early 90s, match up with the Oscars less often than other Guilds

2) Deakins was already a two-time winner, plus took a lifetime award this year, where Pfister was on his fourth nomination without a win, and may have been seen as due

It strikes me every below-the-line category this year, save visual effects and sound editing, is competitive.

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”