ADG Winners

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rolotomasi99 wrote:Even though I thought the Academy would fall in love with THE KING'S SPEECH, I figured the guilds would appreciate THE SOCIAL NETWORK.

I'm not getting this one.

The Social Network's art direction/set design was not its strong suit. The writing, the acting, the music, and by extension the director who made it all work were its more award worthy components.

It won't win any acting awards, but could still pull out Best Picture, Director, Score and, of course, Adapted Screenplay.

What amuses is me is how quickly the worm turns. The same prognosticators who prior to the PGA/DGA/SAG awards, thought The Social Network was unstoppable now see it as having no chance against The King's Speech because of its late bloom.

While I'm willing to concede that The King's Speech won votes from people who genuinely liked it and didn't like The Social Network, I have to think that there are a fair number of people who voted against the latter because it had been looking like a one-man show. Maybe some of them voted for The Fighter or True Grit or Inception, but in the end will rally behind The Social Network at the Oscars because it is the only film to keep The King's Speech from winning.

When we think of the old people in AMPAS, The King's Speech's natural supporters, we tend to think of the generation that is now in its 80s and 90s, but those people are dying off at rapid rates. Those Academy members now in their 70s were trailblazers in their youth. In the acting branch alone there are Jane and Peter Fonda, Ellen Bursytn, Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, Al Pacino, Warren Beatty, Vanessa Redgrave, et. al. I can't imagine that group preferring a musty film like The King's Speech over something as cutting edge as The Social Network.

Not only would I like to see The Social Network win because I think it is the better film, I'd like to see it win to shut up all these know-it-alls who really don't know any more than you or me.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1297085852
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

True, it's the Broadcast Critics who pride themselves on forecasting/influencing the Oscars. Even the Golden Globes don't do that.

If anything, most critics want to get people to see the films they like, so they vote for those films. If that includes AMPAS members who might otherwise ignore a certain screener, that's all to the good, but it's not their primary concern.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1297084665
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The King's Speech is a lock for the Art Direction Oscar.

I don't think the NY or LA critics (or even the Hollywood Foreign Press) give a fuck what the Academy thinks. It's only the Broadcast Critics on down who seem to see their role to be to affect the Oscars.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

rolotomasi99 wrote:Hopefully the critics have learned their lesson and will never recognize only one film with all of their awards.
To be honest...as much as I feel discouraged that The Social Network's awards train has been hijacked...I truly hope that critics do NOT take this as any kind of "lesson" to be learned. I would so much rather have the critics groups voting on what they think is the best than any more organizations picking winners based on what the Academy will think.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

So, will WGA be THE SOCIAL NETWORK's only Guild win? I really thought it had a chance to win the contemporary art direction category. I guess ACE is still a small possibility, but I am hoping the editors give it to INCEPTION not only because it deserves it but as a fuck you to the Academy.

Still, I have to say the almost complete shut out of THE SOCIAL NETWORK is pretty surprising. Even though I thought the Academy would fall in love with THE KING'S SPEECH, I figured the guilds would appreciate THE SOCIAL NETWORK. Very strange. Hopefully the critics have learned their lesson and will never recognize only one film with all of their awards. Clearly it pisses off the folks who worked on all those other films that were ignored, and they know how to take revenge.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”