Kristen Scott Thomas - Leaving

Best Screenplay
Clio Barnard - The Arbor

Most Promising Newcomer
Ben Wheatley - Director/Co-Producer of Down Terrace

Best Documentary
A Day in the Life: Four Portraits of Post-War Britain

Technical Achievement Award
Gareth Edwards, for his Cinematography, Production Design and Visual Effects of Monsters

Peter Sellers Award for Comedy
Roger Allam - Tamara Drewe

Alexander Walker Special Award
Christopher Nolan for his contribution to film
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

From IMDb.:

Hollywood newcomer Andrew Garfield upset Oscars favourite Colin Firth to scoop a Best Actor prize at the Evening Standard Film Awards in London on Monday.

The 27 year old was recognised for his roles in Never Let Me Go and The Social Network, putting an end to Firth's monopoly of the awards season for his turn as King George VI in The King's Speech.

In a filmed message, Garfield told the crowd at the London Film Museum, "I really, really appreciate it and intend to let this spur me and provide more fuel for my fire".

Meanwhile, Kristin Scott Thomas was named the Best Actress for her part in French film Leaving, in which she plays a married woman who has an affair with a builder.

Filmmaker Peter Mullan's drama Neds, about violent youths in 1970s Scotland, won Best Film, beating Mike Leigh's Another Year and animated movie The Illusionist.

Other winners included Roger Allam, who accepted the Peter Sellers Comedy Award for his portrayal of a cheating writer in Tamara Drewe, and Gareth Edwards, who received a technical achievement trophy for his low-budget sci-fi movie Monsters.

Inception director Christopher Nolan was honoured for his contribution to cinema with the The Alexander Walker Special Award, named after the Evening Standard's late film critic.

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”