Screen Actor's Guild Awards

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I'm really ready for this whole situation to be over.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I liked her, couldn't stand Christian Bale who I felt was doing Daniel Day Lewis impressions. So there we are.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sonic Youth wrote:ETA: In other words, Melissa Leo just won. She also beat out PLEASE GOD NO!!

Loved her speech.
Grating, neurotic self-important actress speech.

I'm with Sabin -- she's the one weak element in The Fighter. I couldn't stand her in Frozen River (you can always see her ACTING) and I couldn't stand her in The Fighter.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sabin wrote:but I don't understand how she has picked up so many awards for such a one note performance.
You mean, like Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs?

I don't think it matters.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Melissa Leo's winning streak is so curious to me. Prior to Frozen River, I was quite a fan of seeing her pop up with exemplary turns in films like 21 Grams. Didn't like Frozen River, which has to be the most instantly forgettable Best Original Screenplay nomination of the past decade, and now she gives possibly her most grating performance to date for The Fighter. I suppose she's due for recognition in the same way that every middle-aged actress who trudges through nameless roles for ages is due, but I don't understand how she has picked up so many awards for such a one note performance.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

As we can see, category fraud didn't make a difference. If it is Hailee Steinfeld's destiny to lose the Oscar, at least she could have lost for the correct category.

ETA: In other words, Melissa Leo just won. She also beat out PLEASE GOD NO!!

Loved her speech.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1296438073
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Venezuela is having some really bad time but (as usual) Venezuelans have this (kind of sad, actually) skill of finding something to let thing go along, to go at ease... This last few months the new thing to ba happy for is Edgar Ramírez, some kind of national treasure. We loved him going up the stage at the Globes when Carlos won Best Mini-Series and then everybody cried out load when he lost to Pacino (nobody cared if it was Pacino the one he lost to neither the fact that most likely NOBODY have seen Pacino's work). If Edgar wins tonight this is going to be wild...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'm just basically dreading that the SAG's -- moments away -- will drain the last drops of suspense out of the year's races.

Prior to last night, I'd have said the template of actors -- Firth, Portman, Bale, Leo (with Bening maybe the strongest upset possibility), and The Fighter for ensemble.

Now I'm just afraid The King's Speech will go wild and take not only ensemble but maybe Geoffrey Rush.

Hoping for interesting/non-suspense-killing surprises. Whatever they might be.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

All right. Let's get my nightmare the fuck over with. Basically: gross inevitability vs. does it matter at this point?

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: The Greater Good (r.u. - PLEASE GOD NO!!!)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role: Colin Firth, PLEASE GOD NO!!! (r.u. - Jesse Eisenberg, The Greater Good)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role: Natalie Portman, Black Swan (r.u. - Annette Bening, The Kids Are All Right)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role: Christian Bale, The Fighter (r.u. - Geoffrey Rush, PLEASE GOD NO!!!)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role: Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit (r.u. - Amy Adams, The Fighter)

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Glee (r.u. - Modern Family)

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Mad Men (r.u . - Boardwalk Empire)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series: Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock (r.u. - Steve Carell, The Office)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series: Jane Lynch, Glee (r.u. - Betty White, Hot in Cleveland)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series: Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire (r.u. - Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series: Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife (r.u. - Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Al Pacino, You Don't Know Jack (r.u. - Édgar Ramírez, Carlos)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Claire Danes, Temple Grandin (r.u. - I don't think TV goes here now that I think about it.)

Edited By Sabin on 1296409856
"How's the despair?"

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”