Your Nominations Day Wish

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Vanessa Redgrave nominated in Supporting Actress for Letters to Juliet - probably not going to happen, but if it does... :laugh:
I find your championing of her quite endearing. It almost makes me want to check out the film. :)
Just almost?

The main romantic triangle involving Amanda Seyfried, Christopher Egan and Gael Garcia Bernal is a bit formulaic, but not uninvolving. It's the subplot, however, that makes it interesting as it echoes Redgrave's real life romance with Franco Nero. Too bad they didn't tell their real life story, which would be even more fascinating.

The two became lovers on the set of Camelot, had a child 40 years ago and stayed together for some years, eventually drifting apart. They were reunited at Natasha Richardson's wedding to Liam Neeson when Natasha asked Franco to give her away. They married a few years ago when Vanessa was 69 and Franco was 65.

I have somewhat of a personal connection to the film in that one of the tourists on my recent trip to Italy had a letter to Juliet she brought from her nine year-old actress/singer granddaughter in Houston wanting to know if the boy she was in a play with was "the one". I read both the letter and the answer from the "friend" of Juliet who responded to her.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Dale Dickey (and John Hawkes), and Olivia Williams.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:Vanessa Redgrave nominated in Supporting Actress for Letters to Juliet - probably not going to happen, but if it does... :laugh:
I find your championing of her quite endearing. It almost makes me want to check out the film. :)

My nominations day wish: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World in Adapted Screenplay. Not gonna happen but hey, I want it to happen.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Ghost Writer for anything
Mark Wahlberg
Julianne Moore
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

I've always liked supporting performances that come in for a short time, knock it out of the park, and leave. Duvall got a nomination for Apocalypse Now for doing just that, Wilford Brimley did it in Absence of Malice but didn't get nominated.

She won't get a nomination this year, but I loved Patricia Clarkson's 9 minutes of work in Shutter Island. While I'm at it, I loved her in Easy A as well.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Jacki Weaver would be my one wish.

But like Mister Tee, I also am hoping for a shakeup of the slate. It wasn't that long ago that City of God came literally from nowhere to score major nominations, and I could think of plenty of pleasing surprises that could provide exciting jolts that wouldn't be nearly as unlikely as those City of God noms seemed.

Also, a year without category fraud...or at least the most painfully obvious case.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I could go lots of ways -- Gosling maybe foremost -- but I think the spirit of the request is, someone so on the periphery that it would almost constitute a shocker.

So, I'll go with Olivia Williams...who knocked me out when I saw her film, but who, until the National Society, appeared to be totally overlooked. There are probably 7 or 8 women more likely than she to show up in supporting actress, but none I would cheer more loudly.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Vanessa Redgrave nominated in Supporting Actress for Letters to Juliet - probably not going to happen, but if it does... :laugh:
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for Best Original Score for The Social Network.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

1. Lesley Manville appearing in either category
2. Roman Polanski
3. Dogtooth
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

The Ghost Writer for Best Picture.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

What is your one -- reasonably possible -- wish in the nominations?

Mine is that Mark Wahlberg is nominated for Best Actor. He generously allowed his fellow actors to have the showy roles (mostly of whom were pretty wonderful) while being close to unassuming himself. An yet, that acting choice was completely right for the character, who quietly was trying to find himself in a sea of excessive influences. It's a beautifully subtle performance -- and I hope not too subtle for voters to have taken notice of it.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”