OFTA Film Awards Nominations

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The only way I'm going to catch Made in Dagenham at this point is to wait for the DVD. I think it played a week, maybe two, in the only theatre within a reasonable distance that shows so-called art films.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Big Magilla wrote:Just out of curiosity, how did the comment about Made in Dagenham get into my quote? I may have said that if I had seen the film, but since I didn't... :)
Lol. I added that comment just before pushing the add replay button and i obviously wrote it in the second box of the page instead of in the first.

If you catch "Made in Dagenham" i'm sure you'll like the costumes too.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sabin, he may have made a feature 12 years ago, but he was determined to be eligible because that film never saw theatrical release. Showing at film festivals does not count as theatrical release.

Lesley Manville may have been the product of category confusion, something we may rectify in future years if the membership is amenable.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

THE GOOD
Roman Polanski and Olivia Williams.
Hailee Steinfeld for lead.
Tron Legacy for Best Original Score.
Scott Pilgrim for Best Original Song, Film Editing, Costume Design, Sound, Sound Effects, Visual Effects, and Titles Sequence.
Shutter Island for Cinematography.
No King's Speech for Cinematography.
127 Hours for Sound and Sound Effects.
I like all the Most Cinematic Moments. None of them are quite there but they're good.

THE BAD
Nominations for Danny Boyle and the script and cinematography for 127 Hours.
No John Hawkes or Winter's Bone for screenplay.
Derek Cianfrance nominated for Best First Feature when he made a feature twelve years ago.
True Grit for cinematography.
Black Swan for Sound and Visual Effects but not Sound Effects.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Just out of curiosity, how did the comment about Made in Dagenham get into my quote? I may have said that if I had seen the film, but since I didn't... :)
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Big Magilla wrote:As far I Am Love goes, I am happy to say I am one of the snubbers. The film was a bore. The Italian film that should have been nomianted, but wasn't is Vincere, but that's probably due to the majority fo the voters not having seen it. Also delighted with "Made In Dagenham" making the Costumes top5.
I Am Love may not be an excellent film, but it had wonderful cinematography, editing and art direction. The same goes for Vincere: wonderful cinematography, art direction, costume design and a good perfromance by Fillippo Timi who i liked more than the adored in this board Mezzogiorno. I had problems with it's screenplay though.

I am sad that Manville didn't make it. She deserved a nod. It was wonderful to see Emma Stone making the cut, she was in my ballot. Also happy to see the first greek film nominated by OFTA. Best of luck to "Dogtooth" in the Oscars nominations morning.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

As far I Am Love goes, I am happy to say I am one of the snubbers. The film was a bore. The Italian film that should have been nomianted, but wasn't is Vincere, but that's probably due to the majority fo the voters not having seen it.

Another Year finally opened in my neck of the woods on Friday, but I had other things to do the last few days and it would have been too late anyway.

I voted for Nicole Kidman, but I suspect, this is again a performance that wasn't seen by a lot of people. I am glad that four of my choices for Best Actor and Supporting Actor made the cut.

Emma Stone in Best Actress was a surprise, but a welcome one.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Good set of nominations overall

Snubs
Lesley Manville and Another Year
I Am Love
Nicole Kidman

Surprises
Emma Stone and Easy A
Scott Pilgrim Vs the World
3 newcomers in the Best Actress category
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”