Costume Guild nominations

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I have applied temporary bans before and I have been a bit aggressive in the past, but I've been working on that the last couple of years. My problem with Sasha's site is that for a time, it almost seemed like she was trying to scoop me. That's subsided at this point because she has others sending her data well in advance and I don't have the time to do such or track down sources, but I still don't understand why she or her administrators never approved my request to join her message board. I tried twice in the past and never got an e-mail advising me I'd been approved. So, I'm not particularly concerned at this point.

While I'd love having the traffic her site gets, I barely have the time to do the updates I have right now. I want to do more, but I can never seem to find the time. I have a ton of updates still to do, but haven't done any of them...not to mention all of my grand databases of data are somewhat unfinished and I have no way of publishing them (mostly because I hate MS Access and don't have the time to learn it, nor do I have the time to learn SQL databases).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:Rolo, I'd like to know where these came from? The CDG website still lists official release of nominations as tomorrow morning.
As anonymous said, I got these nominations from Awardsdaily.

For some bizarre reason, Sasha Stone who runs the site (a person I usually agree with) went batshit insane because some folks disagreed with THE SOCIAL NETWORK's nomination. She basically ranted about how anyone who does not think THE SOCIAL NETWORK had great costumes is evil. She then started deleting all the posts that were not pro-THE SOCIAL NETWORK.

I am not sure what brought this on, but I am guessing it might have had to do with the stress of running a busy website. I hope she gets some help before she completely meltsdown.

After witnessing that, I just want to say thank you OscarGuy for creating this board and not being a total nutcase. Too many folks who run websites become power hungry and get some sort of thrill from banning folks. You may disagree with what some of us think, but you have never been a bully. I realize in all the years I have enjoyed your board, I have never taken the time to just say thanks for all your hard work. :)
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:Didn't we have some discussion about the Period nominations including '80s films in recent years? So, it's the same kind of thing.
The Fighter is a 90s and 00s film. Precious was set earlier and it was nominated for Contemporary.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Didn't we have some discussion about the Period nominations including '80s films in recent years? So, it's the same kind of thing.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sonic Youth wrote:I was more impressed with The Fighter's period sets and art direction than with its period costumes. Those horse and buggies were a nice touch.

It seems utterly comical but consider this: When The Godfather came out, everyone marveled at the period re-creation, how it took us back to a bygone era. The action of the film began 27 years earlier. Imagine thinking of a movie set it 1984 that way.

Edited By Mister Tee on 1295547451
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I was more impressed with The Fighter's period sets and art direction than with its period costumes. Those horse and buggies were a nice touch.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

AwardsDaily.com has them up.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Rolo, I'd like to know where these came from? The CDG website still lists official release of nominations as tomorrow morning.
Wesley Lovell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

My predictions for Oscar are:

The King’s Speech
True Grit
Alice in Wonderland
The Tempest
Made In Dagenham

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1295541133
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

EXCELLENCE IN CONTEMPORARY FILM
Black Swan – Amy Westcott
Burlesque – Michael Kaplan
Inception – Jeffrey Kurland
The Social Network – Jacqueline West
Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps – Ellen Mirojnick

EXCELLENCE IN PERIOD FILM
The Fighter – Mark Bridges
The King’s Speech – Jenny Beavan
True Grit – Mary Zophres

EXCELLENCE IN FANTASY FILM
Alice in Wonderland – Colleen Atwood
The Tempest – Sandy Powell
TRON: Legacy – Michael Wilkinson & Christine Bieselin Clark

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”