Directors Guild of America

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

(Greg @ Jan. 10 2011,1:19)
I take it that Russell is the one outside of the four?

Absolutely not! The fact that I'm still unclear as to whether or not his name is Tom Hooper or Hopper says something to the relative anonymity and horrific visual style he presents in The King's Speech, a film that can have all the nominations it wants but I pray directing, cinematography, and editing fall by the wayside.

David O. Russell makes strange movies birthed of active choices, some of which pay off and some don't. He makes films that are either conceptual messes or messes of execution. I (heart) Huckabees has a wonderful spirit to it, but there's nary a scene in the film that isn't kind of a mess. Three Kings is a sublimely confidently executed film, full of wit and panache. Ultimately, I don't know what it's trying to say. It's exemplary work for hire. In a way, so is The Fighter, a movie that is centerless, has nothing to say, and isn't that powerful on the page. David O. Russell invests every margin of the film with a behavioral energy that keeps it invigorating. I wish he had reworked the script a little because arguably he's the most intelligent of the five nominated directors, but he DIRECTS it.

I don't know what Hoo/pper brings to the table per se, but I don't really agree with any of his visual choices, and he certainly had no foresight enough to instill a sense of dread for the onslaught of Naziism throughout his film, giving it the urgency that it needed. To contrast, Roman Polanski as writer and director very wisely shuffles Harris' Grisham-ian conceit until well into the second act such that for the duration of The Ghost Writer it truly feels as though we're watching vintage stylish Polanski.

I can't fault David Fincher's technical proficiency nor imagine a better fit for the myopic script. I think that the film is as entertaining as it is must be credit to his work, although I'd rank it below Se7en, The Game, Fight Club, and Zodiac. Likewise, Darren Aronofsky's movie has ignited a firestorm of "What Is It? Is It Anything? Do We Need It? Do These Questions Matter?" I think five sides are trying to ghettoize it into nine camps (some for Camp). But I like it as a dumb, gripping piece of work, combining The Fountain's wonkiness with The Wrestler's faux verité. Again: I'd rank it below most of his work.

I've been quite vocal about my disdain for Inception. Only the second half of Batman Begins is worse in Nolan's canon. I would argue that as a director, he is devolving. I read he is a fan of Michael Bay and this is becoming evident in the cut-cut-cut monotony of his recent films, however The Dark Knight thrives with an urgency that requires it. If every subsequent Nolan film has the same tempo, count me out. Inception is a failure of screenwriting, a half-failure of directing, and a total success of producing. Nolan the Director is the anonymous presence here, yet I hold so many of his films in high esteem that I can't help but be happy for the man and pissed at the work.

If the Class of 2010 includes Darren Aronofsky, David Fincher, Christopher Nolan, and David O. Russell, then count me shocked into support.

(rolotomasi99 @ Jan. 10 2011,4:25)
Debra Granik walks all over these boys. What she was able to do on such a small budget and with both professional and non-professional actors was amazing. I hope Focus Features or the Weinsteins snap her up and nurture her career.

Damn skippy, son. She's my date for the ball.

Edited By Sabin on 1294698614
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Big Magilla wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:I guess OscarGuy was right. Since the Director's Guild gave the award to a woman last year, they could not be bothered to even nominate one of the two strong female contenders. I still hope Granik can pull a surprise nomination, though I have resigned myself to these five nominees. Some good (Nolan and Aronofsky), some bad (Hooper), and some good directors doing dull work (Fincher and Russell).

It's not so much that they couldn't be bothered, but that they felt no obligation to honor a female director because "it was time" as many of them thought last year.

I wouldn't call Hooper a "bad" director, but he's a TV director who IMO doesn't quite know how to direct for the big screen. The bad director in this bunch is Aronofsky for the overheated, overpraised Dying Swan movie. The one who got shafted is Danny Boyle, whose 127 Hours is worth five True Grits and ten Dying Swans.

Debra Granik walks all over these boys. What she was able to do on such a small budget and with both professional and non-professional actors was amazing. I hope Focus Features or the Weinsteins snap her up and nurture her career.

It seems a tad silly to call BLACK SWAN overheated when praising 127 HOURS. I enjoyed both films, but neither one was a model of cinematic restraint.

Do you think Hooper's background in TV is why he shot so many damn close ups? Did he not get that we would be able to see their faces just fine on the big screen?

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1294698480
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

MovieWes wrote:
Damien wrote:Not that I expected it, but I was hoping that Roman Polanski would be nominated for a real Polanski film rather thn Aronofsky for a pathetic imitation of a Polanski film.
Do you have something against outstanding films Damien?
One of the stupider remarks I've read around here in a while.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rolotomasi99 wrote:I guess OscarGuy was right. Since the Director's Guild gave the award to a woman last year, they could not be bothered to even nominate one of the two strong female contenders. I still hope Granik can pull a surprise nomination, though I have resigned myself to these five nominees. Some good (Nolan and Aronofsky), some bad (Hooper), and some good directors doing dull work (Fincher and Russell).

It's not so much that they couldn't be bothered, but that they felt no obligation to honor a female director because "it was time" as many of them thought last year.

I wouldn't call Hooper a "bad" director, but he's a TV director who IMO doesn't quite know how to direct for the big screen. The bad director in this bunch is Aronofsky for the overheated, overpraised Dying Swan movie. The one who got shafted is Danny Boyle, whose 127 Hours is worth five True Grits and ten Dying Swans.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1294692981
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote:Still, I do think Nolan is a very likely nominee, not necessarily as a makeup for his Dark Knight omission, but as an "it's time" recognition for a director with a track record for both commercial hits and critical acclaim.
I'd say likelier than last time, but still not in the bank.

And maybe your phrasing suggests you see it much the way I do: while the fanboys think Nolan is overdue strictly because of The Dark Knight, if any past credit helps with the Directors' branch, it's Memento.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Hollywood Z wrote:So, if anything, Nolan is a solid lock for Inception, if only for the Academy to make up for snubbing him. And we all know the Academy and making up awards...
Well, I don't think Nolan is a LOCK -- the number of Best Picture nominees have changed, but the makeup of the Academy (i.e. the same people who voted for the 2008 nominees) hasn't much changed.

Still, I do think Nolan is a very likely nominee, not necessarily as a makeup for his Dark Knight omission, but as an "it's time" recognition for a director with a track record for both commercial hits and critical acclaim.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I guess OscarGuy was right. Since the Director's Guild gave the award to a woman last year, they could not be bothered to even nominate one of the two strong female contenders. I still hope Granik can pull a surprise nomination, though I have resigned myself to these five nominees. Some good (Nolan and Aronofsky), some bad (Hooper), and some good directors doing dull work (Fincher and Russell).
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Hollywood Z wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:I think the weakest of the five here might be Nolan, who has already shown that he isn't overly popular with the Academy (The Dark Knight "snub"), and because I think Inception feels more like a bottom-5 BP nominee than one of the top films (if we only had five films, it would not be near a lock for a nomination).
But if you're looking at the Best Picture nominees as a 5-slate only and don't forget, it was the fallout from the snubbing of The Dark Knight (and Wall-E) that has led to the current list of ten nominees for Best Picture, so that the Academy can "reward mainstream films as well as show support to smaller independent films." So, if anything, Nolan is a solid lock for Inception, if only for the Academy to make up for snubbing him. And we all know the Academy and making up awards...
As I've said here before, the decision to go to ten was made not by AMPAS members -- much less by the directors' branch -- but by the Board of Directors. The fact that this small clique responded to the moaning over Dark Knight's exclusion tells us nothing about how another small group -- the directors' branch -- will behave this time.

If anything, they may be inclined to reinforce thieir original judgment, as they likely don't think it was anything to be ashamed of.
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

FilmFan720 wrote:I think the weakest of the five here might be Nolan, who has already shown that he isn't overly popular with the Academy (The Dark Knight "snub"), and because I think Inception feels more like a bottom-5 BP nominee than one of the top films (if we only had five films, it would not be near a lock for a nomination).
But if you're looking at the Best Picture nominees as a 5-slate only and don't forget, it was the fallout from the snubbing of The Dark Knight (and Wall-E) that has led to the current list of ten nominees for Best Picture, so that the Academy can "reward mainstream films as well as show support to smaller independent films." So, if anything, Nolan is a solid lock for Inception, if only for the Academy to make up for snubbing him. And we all know the Academy and making up awards...
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

It baffles me why people, here and elsewhere, continue to speak of The Fighter as some sort of weakling candidate. It's showing up everywhere, and it's doing business well in excess of most adult dramas. Is it just the fact that Black Swan, True Grit and Social Network have done even better, in this extraordinary year for mainstream drama?

I once again lament the existence of the ten, because we're looking at a fascinating 6-(or -7, since I still give Boyle a shot at "lone director") into-5-won't-go in both film and director. 2008 gave us a 5-for-5 matchup, and last year's directing five matched the DGA and the films we thought of us as the main competition, but this year feels ripe for variance. Director will still be interesting, but film is a bore, since everyone gets to play.

I guess if David Poland simply declares something it instantly becomes untrue -- i. e., he last week announced True Grit had become the clear front runner.

I agree, FilmFan, that Nolan is utterly vulnerable for the AMPAS directing nod. His fanboys seem to have forgotten he scored every one of these Guild nods for Dark Knight as well.

Hooper also seems the sort of candidate who could slip off, except for the fact his film is such a prime best picture contender; such entries are rarely left off by the directors' branch, however vanilla their achievements.

I see these five plus Coens & Boyle as the most likely directing nominees, with Granik a wild card.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Sabin wrote:I am very excited at the prospect of four very talented young turk filmmakers getting recognized, even if I don't love their films.
I take it that Russell is the one outside of the four?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Yeah, I think Russell is a lock here, and that The Fighter is a pretty strong contender across the board. I still think that if any film can usurp The Social Network, it is Russell and his film.

I think the weakest of the five here might be Nolan, who has already shown that he isn't overly popular with the Academy (The Dark Knight "snub"), and because I think Inception feels more like a bottom-5 BP nominee than one of the top films (if we only had five films, it would not be near a lock for a nomination).
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Damien wrote:Not that I expected it, but I was hoping that Roman Polanski would be nominated for a real Polanski film rather thn Aronofsky for a pathetic imitation of a Polanski film.
Do you have something against outstanding films Damien?
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

.................and the DGA goes to David Fincher............followed by the Oscar.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Not that I expected it, but I was hoping that Roman Polanski would be nominated for a real Polanski film rather thn Aronofsky for a pathetic imitation of a Polanski film.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”