Directors Guild of America

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

OscarGuy wrote:David O. Russell showing up means that The Fighter has a great deal of respect that hasn't really been in evidence.
Hmm...it's seemed to me that love for The Fighter has been prevalent virtually everywhere.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

David O. Russell showing up means that The Fighter has a great deal of respect that hasn't really been in evidence. I never expected the Coens to earn a nomination for True Grit and, strangely Darren Aronofsky was the one director I had thought would be on the fringe, but I guess he's the mainstream now.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think that will happen too, re: Hailee Steinfeld.

I am very excited at the prospect of four very talented young turk filmmakers getting recognized, even if I don't love their films.
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

the surprise here is the omission of the Coens, although the extremely positive box-office numbers of Tue Grit guarantees a best picture nomination (and I have the feeling that Haille Stanfield will make it as a best actress nomination instead of supporting)

Edited By mlrg on 1294680572
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

According to the DGA website, the nominees are:

- Darren Aronofsky; Black Swan
- David Fincher; The Social Network
- Tom Hooper; The King's Speech
- Christopher Nolan; Inception
- David O. Russell; The Fighter
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”