The Weekend's Offerings

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:
Greg wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Jane Fonda looked lovely, but a joke about a cougar? Can a 73 year-old woman, no mater how good she looks, still be considered a cougar?
Keeping to the theme of my previous post, yes, Jane Fonda can still be considered a cougar. It is just that now she is a cougar for Colin Firth and not Jesse Eisenberg.
Not even Colin. Jeff Bridges maybe.
Clem Bevans.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Greg wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Jane Fonda looked lovely, but a joke about a cougar? Can a 73 year-old woman, no mater how good she looks, still be considered a cougar?
Keeping to the theme of my previous post, yes, Jane Fonda can still be considered a cougar. It is just that now she is a cougar for Colin Firth and not Jesse Eisenberg.
Not even Colin. Jeff Bridges maybe.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Edited By Greg on 1295205576
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

One reason I was hoping that Colin Firth and Jesse Eisenberg would tie is the chance that they might French kiss each other the way Sandra Bullock and Meryl Streep did when they tied. Oh well.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I see no one posted the Broadcast winners. But, of course, there's no need to! Thank god we don't have a predict-the-Broadcast-ers contest -- everyone would score 100% ever year!

When I read that Best Documentary was presented by the Kardashians, I remembered why I don't watch this show.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

He has a WGA award for writing an Onassis TV biopic in the 1980s, and a couple of other TV movie nods. He also wrote Tucker: A Man and His Dream.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Uri wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Worst: The King's Speech writer. An expert with words? Where were they?

Have you seen the movie he wrote? Since if you did, you shouldn't have been surprised at all.

Yes, I've been complaining about it longer than you have.

As I said just yesterday, he's an old hack, whose only prior screen credits, if I recall correctly, were the horrible cartoon versions of The King and I and Camelot. He also wrote the abysmal TV movie, Malice in Wonderland with Elizabeth Taylor and Jane Alexander out of their leagues playing Louella Parsons and Hedda Hopper.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1295107328
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Fincher and Rooney Mara are in Sweden filming The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo so they have have an excuse, but where was Justin Timberlake? Licking his wounds because he's no longer on the short list of possible Oscar nominees?

And where was Mark Wahlberg? Odd he wasn't there. The Fighter was his dream project.

I hope Colin Firth's acceptance speech Sunday night at the Globes is more coherent than the one last night. His halting remarks seemed to be parodying his character in The King's Speech.

Also, how pregnant is Natalie Portman? I thought she was only three or four months along, but she looks like she's going to pop any minute.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Big Magilla wrote:Worst: The King's Speech writer. An expert with words? Where were they?
Have you seen the movie he wrote? Since if you did, you shouldn't have been surprised at all.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The most fun I had during a presenter routine was Joan Rivers and Sarah Silverman. I really liked the speech by the guy who won for Easy A (which was also the best win of the night for me).

I didn't like the first Jackass segment and every one after that was more excruciating. I even called the Black Swan spoof earlier in the evening. A thorough waste of time, but I'll give the BFCA this. They managed to get Maroon 5 as a frickin' House Band and Jane Fonda to present Best Picture. Most of the important nominees were there (though, I find it hilarious that David Fincher was not).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

So, did anyone besides Wesley and me end up watching this thing?

Terrible show, flat comedy routines, both the filmed segments and the presenters' lines. Jane Fonda looked lovely, but a joke about a cougar? Can a 73 year-old woman, no mater how good she looks, still be considered a cougar?

Best speech: Christian Bale's. Worst: The King's Speech writer. An expert with words? Where were they? He couldn't even pronounce Helena Bonham Carter's name properly. It's Hell - en - a, not Hih - layne - a.

Awards were fairly predictable and the Tarantino tribute was totally without merit. Nice job with the Matt Damon tribute, though.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

FilmFan720 wrote:Sorry Greg, but Eisenberg is not paralleling Bullock in the least. A big reason Sandra Bullock won last year is because she is one of the biggest movie stars in the world, whom everyone in Hollywood loves, finally tackling a dramatic role in a blockbuster movie. Eisenberg is an up-and-comer who no one considers "due" for an award, while Firth is the respected thespian (whom everyone in Hollywood adores) who finally got the breakout leading role they have been waiting for. If Eisenberg manages a win, it is for being part of The Social Network and being brought along in a landslide, a completely different reason than Sandra Bullock winning.
What I meant by paralleling is that everyone at the beginning assumed Firth would win, like Streep; but, a little while into the season Eisenberg is starting to surprise and pick up some awards, like Bullock. I did not mean that Eisenberg is a beloved veteran like Bullock.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:I'm thinking of taking a half-page from Sonic's book tomorrow night and not watching the Broadcasters' show.
Ah! But you have to do more than skip the show. You also have to avoid the results to the best of your ability. Do you have what it takes to do that?
Absolutely not -- hence, my use of the modifier "half-".

I'd never blame the Globes for wrecking the Oscars. They've been around my entire life, sometimes echoing Academy choices, sometimes being miles away -- and the years they did echo them, it was more due to a pre-established consensus than one they helped form. If you eliminated all the other joy-killers -- especially BFCA & SAG -- and left the Globes in place, I don't think you'd hear the complaints you do now.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Sorry Greg, but Eisenberg is not paralleling Bullock in the least. A big reason Sandra Bullock won last year is because she is one of the biggest movie stars in the world, whom everyone in Hollywood loves, finally tackling a dramatic role in a blockbuster movie. Eisenberg is an up-and-comer who no one considers "due" for an award, while Firth is the respected thespian (whom everyone in Hollywood adores) who finally got the breakout leading role they have been waiting for. If Eisenberg manages a win, it is for being part of The Social Network and being brought along in a landslide, a completely different reason than Sandra Bullock winning.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I think there is a reasonable chance that the BFCA gives a lead actor tie between Colin Firth ans Jesse Eisenberg, like they did last year between Meryl Streep and Sandra Bullock, as I see Firth's trajectory this awards season paralleling Streep and Eisenberg Bullock.

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”