The Weekend's Offerings

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mister Tee wrote:I'm thinking of taking a half-page from Sonic's book tomorrow night and not watching the Broadcasters' show.

Ah! But you have to do more than skip the show. You also have to avoid the results to the best of your ability. Do you have what it takes to do that?

I'll have no problem missing the Broadcast broadcast since I have a party Friday night, and the show is idiotic anyway. But I'm breaking my vow of precursor chastity and submitting to the Globes. This is the one exception I'm making until the AMPAS nomination announcement. I mean, come on. It's the Golden Globes! How can you miss it???

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1294984037
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote:Tee -- I haven't watched the Broadcast Awards the last few years. In fact, I think I've only seen the ceremony twice -- '03 and '05.

And I don't feel like I've missed a thing. Awards season is tedious enough as it is, and these fools are the biggest joke of them all.
What you don't know, then, is they've goosed the shows with a singing/dancing host (last year it was Chenoweth) and special tributes (they did one to John Hughes last year, too, which -- since the call themselves critics -- struck me as even more offensive than AMPAS doing it). They're no longer content to predict the Oscars; they're trying to BE them.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Tee -- I haven't watched the Broadcast Awards the last few years. In fact, I think I've only seen the ceremony twice -- '03 and '05.

And I don't feel like I've missed a thing. Awards season is tedious enough as it is, and these fools are the biggest joke of them all.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

If The King's Speech wins anything other than Best Actor from either the BFCA or the Globes, I'll think I'm back in the 1930s.

I don't anticipate any deviation from the Firth/Bale/Fincher/Sorkin wins, though my GG predictions (to be published tomorrow on CinemaSight) include an upset in Screenplay just to liven things up, but I'll probably fall out of my chair if it actually happens.

I see the two actress categories more open to surprise - with Jennifer Lawrence triumphing in lead and Amy Adams in support at either, or both, of these weekend soirees.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'm thinking of taking a half-page from Sonic's book tomorrow night and not watching the Broadcasters' show. Not that their "follow my lead, Oscar" choices will be any less irritating to read about than to see in real time...just that I'm thinking the season might not wear out so quickly if I don't have to see the same actors give the same speeches up to half a dozen times. Especially since the next time is only two days later, and that one I know I'll watch.

I'll probably wuss out in the end and watch, but I'm at least considering this, which is a radical step by recent standards.

Anyway, what might happen there to interest us?

I guess we want to pay attention to their best picture pick. I think it's hugely unlikely they'll stray from The Social Network path -- they've always echoed true critics' consensuses, ones that went on to win the Oscar (No Country and Hurt Locker) and ones that didn't (Sideways and Brokeback). But if they should shock us by picking The King's Speech, it'll say this key weathervane isn't willing to commit to the most dominant critic consensus of the decade. Which means...something.

I'd also watch their best actress choice. As I mentioned a while ago, they've hedged their bets with statistically unlikely ties two years in a row in this category, and they've got to be tempted to do so again with the Bening/Portman choice in front of them. If not, they'll give us some idea if the Portman juggernaut is strictly a blogger fantasy or something real.

Otherwise, I'd be very surprised if they veered from the Firth/Bale/Leo template -- though I suppose they could demonstrate the depth of their whoredom by selecting Steinfeld. As for their below-the-line choices...who gives a damn?

The Globes could actually be a good bit more fun, because, while everyone else has been desperately trying to join Oscar formation over the past decade, they've gone their own way -- Slumdog is the only best film they've anticipated since 2003, and they've had off-script winners in other categories, like Clive Owen, Cate Blanchett, Mickey Rourke and Julian Schnabel. I doubt they'd bypass Social Network entirely -- say, in script and director -- but they might go for King's Speech in the end just because they're foreign and proud of it, dammit. None of which would have the slightest connection the ultimate Oscar outcome -- all the more reason it might be fun.

I suppose we'll start a Golden Globes prediction thread in the next day or two. I'll have to dig up the nominees list and remind myself which poor saps got nominated for comedy.

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”