Cinema Audio Society Nominations

Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Garfield is probably the likeliest of these. I'm just unsure of his chances as he does not have a ton to do in The Social Network. The film fails to shift any kind of real focus over to him. He's quite good but none of the supporting performances have the gravity they need. I'm perhaps unwisely predicting John Hawkes on the basis that he is amazing, everyone's worked with him, and the film is going to be seen.

It wouldn't be unwise, but it could be unlikely unless Winter's Bone scores a Best Picture nomination.

Original Score? The film has the best composition of the year but on the whole the Academy tends to nominate the same people year after year. I'm predicting Alexandre Desplat, A.R. Rahman, Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard for The Tourist, and someone else.

Or they have a tendency to nominate someone new based on the Best Picture pedigree, like Buck Sanders, Jan A.P. Kazmarek, Gustavo Santololallo, Howard Shore, James Horner, Danny Elfman and...wait for it...A.R. Rahman. How else do these composers who get ad nauseum amounts of nominations begin?

Cinematography? The film looks amazing, but it's not a pretty film, it's a gritty film. It's a film of interiors in a category that time and time again honors exteriors.

Gritty has worked to the advantage of numerous films: Saving Private Ryan, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, The Hurt Locker, Slumdog Millionaire, Children of Men and Good Night and Good Luck. Generally, it's if they combine the gritty camera work with a finesse of beauty, which the Social Network not only achieves, but also has that technical aspect of being completely shot digitally, which the last two films that have won were completely shot on digital cameras.

Sound Mixing could certainly happen. There's no reason why it couldn't except I think there are more viable contenders for the prize like Black Swan, Inception, Shutter Island, Toy Story 3, and True Grit.

Here is where I completely agree with you. While when I watched Black Swan, I said to myself "what a great, subtle psychological use of sound" with the feathers rustling in the background or the pulsating volumes to convey Nina's state of mind. However, I didn't get that sense watching (listening) to The Social Network. I didn't go "wow, listen to how crisp that dialog was" because, honestly, it sounded like every other nicely recorded dialog heavy film. So, Sabin, while I wouldn't be surprised if The Social Network was nominated for Best Sound Mixing, I'm not really expecting it.

The Social Network doesn't need a ton of nominations to win.

True, while it won't come close to the number of nominations that The King's Speech or Inception are most likely going to get, it will, at this stage in the game, most likely win.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I currently think that The Social Network will garner five nominations and win three. Best Picture, Director, Actor, Adapted Screenplay, and Film Editing. It has the capacity for nominations for Andrew Garfield in Support, Original Score, Cinematography, and Sound Mixing but I don't think these will happen.

Garfield is probably the likeliest of these. I'm just unsure of his chances as he does not have a ton to do in The Social Network. The film fails to shift any kind of real focus over to him. He's quite good but none of the supporting performances have the gravity they need. I'm perhaps unwisely predicting John Hawkes on the basis that he is amazing, everyone's worked with him, and the film is going to be seen.

Original Score? The film has the best composition of the year but on the whole the Academy tends to nominate the same people year after year. I'm predicting Alexandre Desplat, A.R. Rahman, Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard for The Tourist, and someone else.

Cinematography? The film looks amazing, but it's not a pretty film, it's a gritty film. It's a film of interiors in a category that time and time again honors exteriors.

Sound Mixing could certainly happen. There's no reason why it couldn't except I think there are more viable contenders for the prize like Black Swan, Inception, Shutter Island, Toy Story 3, and True Grit.

The Social Network doesn't need a ton of nominations to win.
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

To Sabin's I would add:

The Social Network (10) - Picture, Direction, Adapted Screenplay, Lead Actor, Supporting Actor, Original Score, Film Editing, Cinematography, Sound Mixing, Art Direction

Edited By Greg on 1294360302
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Right now, here's where I stand:

The King's Speech (11) - Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay, Original Score, Cinematography, Film Editing, Art Direction, Costume Design.

Inception (10) - Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Original Score, Cinematography, Film Editing, Art Direction, Sound Mixing, Sound Effects, Visual Effects.

True Grit (10) - Picture, Directors, Actor, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Film Editing, Production Design, Costume Design, Sound Mixing.
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Hollywood Z wrote:I sincerely hope that Black Swan makes it into the nominees, even into the Sound Editing category, too. If that happens, Black Swan may be the movie that ends up with the most nominations this year: Picture, Director, Actress, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, Sound Mixing and Sound Editing - 9. I can only see The Social Network locking in 8 at most: Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Score, Cinematography, Editing. If it sneaks in for Sound Mixing, then get ready for a sweep.
Both True Grit and The King's Speech can have 9 or more noms:

True Grit: Picture, director, actor, sup actress, screenplay, cinematography, editing, art direction, sound - 9

The King's Speech: Picture, director, actor, sup actor, sup actress, screenplay, score, art direction, costume design, editing - 10
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

I sincerely hope that Black Swan makes it into the nominees, even into the Sound Editing category, too. If that happens, Black Swan may be the movie that ends up with the most nominations this year: Picture, Director, Actress, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, Sound Mixing and Sound Editing - 9. I can only see The Social Network locking in 8 at most: Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Score, Cinematography, Editing. If it sneaks in for Sound Mixing, then get ready for a sweep.
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

From my recollection, they were:

2009 - Avatar, District 9, The Hurt Locker, Star Trek, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

2008 - The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Quantum of Solace, Slumdog Millionaire, Wall-E

2007 - The Bourne Ultimatum, Into the Wild, No Country for Old Men, 300, Transformers

2006 - Babel, Blood Diamond, Dreamgirls, Flags of our Fathers, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

2005 - Crash, King Kong, Memoirs of a Geisha, Walk the Line, War of the Worlds

2004 - The Aviator, The Bourne Supremacy, Finding Neverland, Ray, Spider-Man 2

2003 - The Last Samurai, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, Seabiscuit
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

They usually do three or four, and only twice failed to nominate the eventual Best Picture winner. I say The Social Network is out and either True Grit or Shutter Island for Toy Story 3 and/or Tron.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

A strangely low key set of nominees. I think Inception probably has this award, but I wonder how Oscar will compare. I may need to go back to my research on the CAS and see how they fare.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Cinema Audio Society film Nominees Include Shutter Island
by: Anne Thompson

The Cinema Audio Society nominees for sound in motion pictures in 2010 are Black Swan, Inception, Shutter Island, The Social Network and True Grit. These are the bigger-scale movies of the year, the ones most likely to factor in the technical categories. I’m surprised not to see Alice in Wonderland and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I in this list. Shutter Island has been left out of many critics and guild votes.

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”