Question about Art Directors/Costume Designers

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Interior design is one small aspect of Art Direction. For instance, would you consider the dream worlds that are created to be modern? Look at those tall, identical buildings, the houses suspended over water. They have a distinctively futuristic style, which is what makes me think they'll go fantasy with Inception. Black Swan, on the other hand, I'm feeling may go contemporary. Most of the designs aren't really fantastical. Some of the images may be, but I don't think they'll really push it away (especially costume design) into the fantasy category).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

That's kinda what had me wondering which way they would go with these. I had a feeling that Inception might go under the Fantasy category, despite having interior design work that is obviously modern. They did the same thing with The Dark Knight, even though it wasn't much of a fantasy setting.

Black Swan, though...
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Inception, since it's science-fiction will very likely go in under Fantasy. Black Swan, I'm not sure about.

No guarantees, though since both groups have been wishy-washy on their definitions.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Will Black Swan and Inception be nominated as contemporary pieces or fantasy? Is there a way to tell how they're being submitted/judged?
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”