AFI Top Ten

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Eric wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:2. So far, a Blind Side-style groaner Best Picture candidate has yet to really emerge

No, but I'm seeing someone pop up in various Best Actress trial heats I would've never anticipated. Someone who, if she were to actually make the Oscar ballot, would be holding a slot that would likely have been better held by any number of on-the-bubble contenders. (Which, in this crowded year, would be an even bigger shame than usual.)

That would be Noomi Rapace in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

I never understood the adulation Rapace got for the film.

Edited By Reza on 1292253592
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

The Original BJ wrote:2. So far, a Blind Side-style groaner Best Picture candidate has yet to really emerge
No, but I'm seeing someone pop up in various Best Actress trial heats I would've never anticipated. Someone who, if she were to actually make the Oscar ballot, would be holding a slot that would likely have been better held by any number of on-the-bubble contenders. (Which, in this crowded year, would be an even bigger shame than usual.)

That would be Noomi Rapace in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

But which one? I'm guessing The Fighter will eclipse The Town. Two Boston tales is probably not going to happen.
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

1. Swap one of these out for The King's Speech, and you could conceivably have Oscar's Best Picture lineup, right?

2. So far, a Blind Side-style groaner Best Picture candidate has yet to really emerge -- of the nine films here I've seen, none seem like they'd be embarrassing on a Best Picture roster of ten.

3. Last year, many wondered if we'd see films nominated for Best Picture without any other nominations. Couldn't The Town possibly be such a candidate?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Is this AFI or the Broadcasters? Not an idiosyncratic choice in the bunch.

AFI MOVIES OF THE YEAR

BLACK SWAN
THE FIGHTER
INCEPTION
THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT
127 HOURS
THE SOCIAL NETWORK
THE TOWN
TOY STORY 3
TRUE GRIT
WINTER'S BONE

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”