Honorary Oscars

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And here are some other names that are Oscar nominated, but not Oscar winners that still live (as far as I know. Data isn't easy to come by for some older, more obscure nominees). I'm only including those with two or more nominations unless it's a glaring oversight kind of thing. And I've also narrowed it down to people born before 1935.

Of all of these, I think the ones that have the best chance are:

Gerry Hambling
Fay Kanin (nominee and former Academy president)
Michael Cacoyannis
Arthur Penn
Franco Zeffirelli
William A. Fraker
Ruby Dee
Valentina Cortese
Harry Stradling Jr.
Tony Curtis
Angela Lansbury
Dede Allen
Lina Wertmuller
Piero Tosi
Neil Simon
Max Von Sydow
Peter Yates
Christopher Plummer
Paul Mazursky
James Earl Jones
Piper Laurie
Debbie Reynolds
Anouk Aimee
Lalo Schifrin
Diane Ladd
Gene Wilder
Cicely Tyson
Ray Agahayan

FULL LIST:

Harriet Frank Jr.
Lawrence O. Jost
John Aldred
Gerry Hambling
Gloria Stuart
Douglas Slocombe
Hugh Martin
Mario Monicelli
Fay Kanin
Tom Daly
Arthur Laurents
Joyce Redman
Jack Hayes
Michael Anderson
Tonino Guerra
Irving Ravetch
Carol Channing
Michael Cacoyannis
Eleanor Parker
Norman Lear
Jackie Cooper
Arthur Penn
Juanita Moore
Franco Zeffirelli
Charles Durning
Sylvia Miles
William A. Fraker
Glynnis Johns
Jorge Semprun
Doris Day
Ruby Dee
Valentina Cortese
Harry Stradling Jr.
Hal Holbrook
Tony Curtis
Angela Lansbury
Dory Previn
Dede Allen
Colin Low
Lina Wertmuller
John Morris
Samuel Goldwyn Jr.
Laurence Rosenthal
Richard H. Kline
John Kander
Piero Tosi
Neil Simon
Peter Falk
Wolf Koenig
Steve Shagan
Edouard Molinaro
James Ivory
Danford Greene
Theadora Van Runkle
Max Von Sydow
Billy Williams
Peter Yates
Joan Plowright
Christopher Plummer
Robert Loggia
Paul Mazursky
Gena Rowlands
Daniel C. Striepke
Harry Lange
Buck Henry
James Earl Jones
Leslie Caron
Jan Troell
Piper Laurie
Debbie Reynolds
Elaine May
Anouk Aimee
Lalo Schifrin
Diane Ladd
John Boorman
Gene Wilder
Danny Aiello
Cicely Tyson
George Segal
Ray Agahayan
Miroslav Ondricek

Edited By OscarGuy on 1282447229
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

What helps Lansbury is that she HAS been in the public eye recently. And I wouldn't call her work in Beauty and the Beast exactly terrible. Matter of fact, it introduced her to a new generation of viewers who might not be familiar with films like Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

And Nanny McPhee wasn't all that long ago, though most people would consider that fluff work anyway.

But, Bacall had been in more recent offerings, so that may have helped, but remember that the people who will be nominating are all members of the Board of Governors. While the Academy membership itself may have short memories, the Board does not. Gordon Willis only had four credits in the '90s. Robert Boyle hadn't had a screen credit since 1979.

So, the Academy can remember when necessary. The only thing I would think to hurt her chances right now are that she was just named an Honorary Chairman of the American Theater Wing this past year, but that may also be enough to get her recognized. So far, it seems the Academy is looking to recognize those who've never gotten Oscars before. Robert Altman. Robert Boyle. Lauren Bacall. Ennio Morricone. Gordon Willis. Roger Corman is the only recipient I can think of in the last few years that wasn't already an Oscar nominee.

So, if you want to look at a criteria, you may want to start with living legends with multiple nominations but no Oscars who have had an impact on the history and present day of film.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Alain Resnais or Max Von Sydow.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Ullmann would be a great choice. These Honorary awards should be included in the live ceremony again.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

dws1982 wrote:Or, I could see them going slightly outside the box and going with someone like Albert Maysales, or Jan Troell, or Alain Resnais.
Resnais is a very interesting possibility. His career has both landmarks and longevity. Obviously he's someone of whom the great mass of Academy voters would never think. but that was true of Ray and Wajda as well, and the Board of Governors came through for them.

Liv Ullmann feels decades too late -- as Deborah Kerr did -- but long-time fans like me would be pleased.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I think what hurts Lansbury is that she's been in about five theatrically-released films in the past quarter-century. She's had major achievements in television and onstage, but her greatest film achievements are nearly fifty years in the past, and the Academy (and film industry) doesn't always have a very long memory.

These are almost impossible to predict. But I do think Liv Ullmann might get one in the near future. I could see them going for someone like her (or one of the other dozens of actors routinely suggested) and an older director like Arthur Penn or James Ivory for their Honorary Awards.

Or, I could see them going slightly outside the box and going with someone like Albert Maysales, or Jan Troell, or Alain Resnais.

For a Hersholt, previous Academy presidents are always a good bet, so it could be Bob Rehme's time. Or they could go with someone like Mia Farrow, or even (a real outside shot) Sean Penn, given all of his work in Haiti.

Edited By dws1982 on 1282424717
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm hoping for Angela Lansbury, but who knows for sure...they go with an actor instead since they went with Bacall last year.
Wesley Lovell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Who will/should get Honorary Oscars next year? They're gonna announce it in a couple of weeks, right?

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”