Best Song Contenders (unofficial)

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

While I wouldn't call [the 127 Hours song] integral to the storytelling, it does play a pivotal emotional cue in the film and later returns. That makes it a good bet for a nomination.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I believe there's an original song in 127 Hours by A.R. Rahman and Dido called "If I Rise".
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Hmm, I missed those. Thanks for the heads up, guys! :)
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Add "To the Sky" written by Adam Young and performed by Owl City from the film Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'd reiterate my support for the title song from Life During Wartime -- a soothing ballad utterly at odds with the film. Normally you'd think Oscar voters would steer way clear of anything from such a movie, but Academy pet Marc Shaiman's connection to it could help it make inroads.
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Okay, because I'm always curious as to how this is going to look before they announce the contenders, I've gone through the current releases as well as any songs that have been announced. So, of course, this list isn't complete, but it's what I've compiled as to songs that were originally written (or at least, I believe they are) for 2010 movies. I've listed them alphabetically by the movies (not song titles) and wrote out who wrote them/who performed them:

- “Alice”; Alice in Wonderland (Avril Lavigne)
- “Prettiest Girls”; Despicable Me (Pharrell Williams)
- “The Way It Is (Vector’s Theme)”; Despicable Me (Pharrell Williams & D.A. Wallach/D.A. Wallach)
- “Better Days”; Eat Pray Love (Eddie Vedder)
- “The Long Road”; Eat Pray Love (Eddie Vedder/Eddie Vedder & Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan)
- “Eclipse (All Yours)”; Eclipse (Emily Haines, James Shaw & Howard Shore/Metric)
- “My Love”; Eclipse (Sia Furler & Oliver Kraus/Sia)
- “Neutron Star Collision (Love is Forever)”; Eclipse (Matthew Bellamy/Muse)
- “The Clap”; Get Him to the Greek (Dan Bern & Mike Viola/Infant Sorrow)
- “Furry Walls”; Get Him to the Greek (Dan Bern, Mike Viola & Judd Apatow/Infant Sorrow)
- “Sticks and Stones”; How to Train Your Dragon (Jon Thor Birgisson/Jonsi)
- “Never Say Never”; The Karate Kid (Adam Messinger, Nasri Atweh, Justin Bieber, Thaddis Harrell, Jaden Smith & Omarr Rambert/Justin Bieber & Jaden Smith)
- “Someday (Theme from Knight and Day)”; William Adams, Stacy Ferguson, George Pajon & Allan Pineda/ The Black Eyed Peas)
- “I Hope You Find It”; The Last Song (Jeffrey Steele & Steve Robson/Miley Cyrus)
- “When I Look at You”; The Last Song (Hilary Lindsay & John Shanks/Miley Cyrus)
- “I Remain”; Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (Alanis Morissette & Mike Elizondo/ Alanis Morissette)
- “Indefatigable”; Scott Pilgram vs. the World (Beck/ Michael Cera, Alison Pill, Mark Webber & Beck)
- “Romana”; Scott Pilgram vs. the World (Beck/Michael Cera)
- “Summertime”; Scott Pilgram vs. the World (Beck/ Michael Cera, Alison Pill, Mark Webber & Beck)
- “I Am Free”; Secretariat (Randall Wallace & Nick Glennie-Smith/Andrew Wallace)
- “It’s Not How Fast, It’s Not How Far”; Secretariat (Randall Wallace & Nick Glennie-Smith/Andrew Wallace)
- “It’s Who You Are”; Secretariat (Randall Wallace/A J Michalka)
- “Love is Your Color”; Sex and the City 2 (Salaam Remi & Claude Kelly/Jennifer Hudson & Leona Lewis)
- “We Belong Together”; Toy Story 2 (Randy Newman)
- “Jump Then Fall”; Valentine’s Day (Taylor Swift)
- “Today Was a Fairytale”; Valentine’s Day (Taylor Swift)
- “Shine”; Waiting for Superman (John Legend)
- “?”; Burlesque
- “?”; The Illusionist (Sylvian Chomet/ )
- “?”; Tangled

I do think that a few songs that we're unaware of from potential Oscar bait movies are still out there, so not all of these have much of a chance (hopefully almost all of them), but they would make up the Best Song Finalists list that gets released every year since 2005.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”