How Things Look After Toronto

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

The Original BJ wrote:Carey Mulligan is obviously the lead in Never Let Me Go. I would also be shocked if she were nominated for Best Actress.

I've been wanting to write about the movie since I saw it, but I haven't had a chance. The acting standout, for me, was, shockingly Keira Knightley.
Alright, my mistake. I will swap Mulligan for Knightley in my predictions based on your recommendation The Original BJ.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Carey Mulligan is obviously the lead in Never Let Me Go. I would also be shocked if she were nominated for Best Actress.

I've been wanting to write about the movie since I saw it, but I haven't had a chance. The acting standout, for me, was, shockingly Keira Knightley.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:Just like the Academy ghetto-allocates leads in support and we admonish them regularly for doing so, but the PR firms are more responsible for all of that than the Academy members. After all, they have rebelled against that type of placement with nominations such as Keisha Castle-Hughes in Whale Rider which was advertised heavily in support.

As for your assertion, the trailer makes Mulligan's part feel like support, giving the film fully to Keira Knightley. At least, that was my impression never having read the book. Andrew Garfield also seems like a supporting character in the trailer.

As for True Grit, I'm fairly certain Hailee Steinfield will get pushed for support if only because lead is far too crammed full this year. They'll see Jeff Bridges as the lead and since Steinfield isn't really a romantic co-lead, they'll relegate her to support without thinking twice about it.
Exactly what I just said...only you said it better.

The Keisha-Castle Hughes example has to be the most insulting of all the attempts to push a lead performance for a supporting nomination. Who the fuck was the lead if not her...the whales?????
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Just like the Academy ghetto-allocates leads in support and we admonish them regularly for doing so, but the PR firms are more responsible for all of that than the Academy members. After all, they have rebelled against that type of placement with nominations such as Keisha Castle-Hughes in Whale Rider which was advertised heavily in support.

As for your assertion, the trailer makes Mulligan's part feel like support, giving the film fully to Keira Knightley. At least, that was my impression never having read the book. Andrew Garfield also seems like a supporting character in the trailer.

As for True Grit, I'm fairly certain Hailee Steinfield will get pushed for support if only because lead is far too crammed full this year. They'll see Jeff Bridges as the lead and since Steinfield isn't really a romantic co-lead, they'll relegate her to support without thinking twice about it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

rolotomasi99 wrote:You know perfectly well that does not matter to the Academy. Matt Damon in INVICTUS was the co-lead as far as I was concerned but they found a way to cram him into supporting.
It must have been due to all those FYC ads and precursor groups who decided Damon was supporting. Perhaps they, in turn, were misled by all the reviews and Oscar discussion groups like this one who neglected to call Damon's role a lead?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:S. ACTRESS

Carey Mulligan - Never Let Me Go

Kathy is the main character of Never Let Me Go. Undoubtedly, Mulligan's is a lead performance.

You know perfectly well that does not matter to the Academy. Matt Damon in INVICTUS was the co-lead as far as I was concerned but they found a way to cram him into supporting. There are countless examples of that. Hailee Steinfield seems like the lead in TRUE GRIT, but she will most likely be considered supporting for a possible nomination.

I do not in any way question your assertion that Mulligan is the lead. I have not seen the film, so I have no idea if she even deserves a nomination. I was just looking for a filler in that category. However, do not underestimate a studio's ability to push a lead performance for a supporting nomination. We will not know until we see the FYC ads.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1285778684
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:S. ACTRESS

Carey Mulligan - Never Let Me Go
Kathy is the main character of Never Let Me Go. Undoubtedly, Mulligan's is a lead performance.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

BEST PICTURE

127 Hours

Another Year

Black Swan

Inception

The Kids Are All Right

The King's Speech

Shutter Island

The Social Network

Toy Story 3

True Grit

DIRECTOR

Black Swan

Inception

The Kids Are All Right

The Social Network

True Grit

ADAPTED

Shutter Island

The Social Network

True Grit

Toy Story 3

Winter's Bone

ORIGINAL

Another Year

Black Swan

Inception

The Kids Are All Right

The King's Speech

L. ACTOR

Jim Broadbent - Another Year

Leo Dicaprio - Shutter Island

Colin Firth - The King's Speech

Jeff Bridges - True Grit

James Franco - 127 Hours

L. ACTRESS

Julianne Moore - The Kids Are All Right

Annette Bening - The Kids Are All Right

Natalie Portman - Black Swan

Jennifer Lawrence - Winter's Bone

Nicole Kidman - Rabbit Hole

S. ACTOR

Aaron Eackhart - Rabbit Hole

Geoffrey Rush - The King's Speech

Jeremy Renner - The Town

Sam Rockwell - Conviction

Christian Bale - The Fighter

S. ACTRESS

Keira Knightley - Never Let Me Go

Lesley Manville - Another Year

Marion Cotillard - Inception

Helena Bonham Carter - The King's Speech

Hailee Steinfield - True Grit

EDITING

127 Hours

Black Swan

Inception

The Social Network

True Grit

CINEMATOGRAPHY

127 Hours

Black Swan

Inception

Shutter Island

True Grit

SET

Alice In Wonderland

The Deathly Hallows

Inception

Tron Legacy

Shutter Island

COSTUME

Alice In Wonderland

The King's Speech

Shutter Island

The Tempest

True Grit

SCORE

Inception

The King's Speech

Never Let Me Go

The Tempest

True Grit

SOUND

127 Hours

Inception

Iron Man 2

Toy Story 3

Tron Legacy

SOUND EDITING

Inception

Iron Man 2

The Tempest

Toy Story 3

Tron Legacy

VISUAL EFFECTS

Alice In Wonderland

The Deathly Hallows

Inception

Iron Man 2

Tron Legacy

MAKE-UP

Black Swan

The Tempest

The Wolf Man

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1285879563
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Eh. I'm gonna try this out.

Best Picture
127 Hours
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
Love and Other Drugs
Rabbit Hole
Secretariat
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit

Best Director
Danny Boyle, 127 Hours
Lisa Cholodenko, The Kids Are All Right
Joel & Ethan Coen, True Grit
David Fincher, The Social Network
Tom Hopper, The King's Speech

Best Actor
Jeff Bridges, True Grit
Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network
Colin Firth, The King's Speech
James Franco, 127 Hours
Paul Giamatti, Barney's Version

Best Actress
Annette Bening, The Kids Are All Right
Anne Hathaway, Love and Other Drugs
Nicole Kidman, Rabbit Hole
Diane Lane, Secretariat
Julianne Moore, The Kids Are All Right

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale, The Fighter
Aaron Eckhart, Rabbit Hole
Andrew Garfield, The Social Network
Mark Ruffalo, The Kids Are All Right
Geoffrey Rush, The King's Speech

Best Supporting Actress
Helena Bonham Carter, The King's Speech
Minnie Driver, Barney's Version
Sandra Oh, Rabbit Hole
Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit
Dianne Wiest, Rabbit Hole

Best Original Screenplay
Another Year
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
...uh...something else.

Best Adapted Screenplay
127 Hours
Rabbit Hole
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit

Best Cinematography
Inception
The King's Speech
Secretariat
Shutter Island
True Grit
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I didn't get that implication from your comments. I checked it out on IMDb. where there is no posted U.S. release date.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that Uncle Boonmee is sans distribution. It's been picked up by the small gay-themed distributor Strand. I don't believe it's expected to be shown theatrically in the states until 2011.

Edited By rain Bard on 1285261382
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I suppose they could be jaded, but maybe it's just the overwhelming volume. It could be that they feel obligated to sit through the films they know they'll be asked about and sample those they don't expect to have to and if they find they like them, stay, but if they're bored, then walk out.

The walkouts on Uncle Boonmee are surprising, though. It's also surprising that no one has picked the film for distribution in the U.S. Maybe it will have better luck after it plays at the New York Film Festival this Saturday.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Big Magilla wrote:
rain Bard wrote:Of the 200+ other features in the festival, the ones it was impossible to escape hearing all about included 127 Hours, the King’s Speech and Black Swan. Anything else paled in comparison for "being-talked-about". As a first-time attendee of the festival, I didn’t expect to see so many walkouts at every press screening I attended (not so the public screenings). But apparently nobody walks out of films like these. Marching orders from editors? Or publicists? Who knows?

Intriguing.

Let me indulge in a little elaboration. After watching the Illusionist on the second afternoon of the festival with a friend (also from San Francisco- there was quite a contingent of familiar faces at the Press & Industry screenings I attended, mostly programmers for local festivals and venues, but a few other critic/writer types too) I noted how few walkouts there were at this distribution-deal-in-place film, compared to my previous screenings (Lapland Odyssey, Poetry, Marimbas From Hell, a Useful Life and the Strange Case of Angelica), which each must have had at least a dozen mid-film exits apiece. While my friend, who had just come from Black Swan and the Woody Allen film, had felt just the opposite- that he hadn't noticed ANY walkouts at those American films, and was disheartened to see what he felt were so many people (actually probably more than a dozen as well, but this was out of an audience of hundreds- one of the largest crowds I sat among in the P&I screenings) not responding to a film he found so emotionally resonant.

I get the sense that a lot of the critics at these screenings treat the festival as an elaborate junket, where they get to see 10 or 15 of the fall season's pre-hyped films all in one go. They may take advantage of the fact that there are 200+ other films screening near them to sample a few, and get a sense of them (Occasionally I'd even see people enter the screening room for the first time, an hour into a film), but if they're not guaranteed a paycheck for writing about them in their local outlet, there's no incentive to stick with the whole film, especially if there's anything challenging about it. Even Cannes winner Uncle Boonmee, which I'd think would be required viewing for any film professional, had about a dozen walkouts.

The line for the first Black Swan P&I screening, by the way, dominated the multiplex it was in so much that volunteers who saw me walk by it assumed I was trying to cut in line and reprimanded me, until I explained that I was actually on my way to another film a few rooms over. Though before attending Toronto I had a sense of it being a festival where critics and audiences find new "discoveries", there's clearly some factor (or factors) that preordain most or all of these discoveries before the festival, or its press screenings, begin. The King's Speech felt like a foregone breakout before it had its first showing at the festival, for example. Whether that's because of Telluride, because of behind-the-scenes publicist wrangling, or what, I do not know.

By comparison, the year I attended Sundance as press, I genuinely felt like there were surprises that were able to cut through the hype of expectations due to stars present, distribution deals, etc.

Edited By rain Bard on 1285225985
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This really isn't the thread to bring my attention to any game...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:I recognize what Eric said as being facetious, but I also think Reza was trying to make a joke upon the joke, but I'm not 100% clear on what the desired result was.
Nothing actually OG......just trying to get your attention. You DID finally get back to the game.....only you need to make corrections.

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”