Cannes reviews

Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Damien wrote:
Uri wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:France wins three awards, Mike Leigh's film wins nothing.

So that's why for the past two weeks Damien hasn't been washing, wearing his scruffy wig and those ridiculous shades – he was moonlighting as the head of the jury at Cannes!

But I took time off to go to the nearby Convent of St Genevieve to present the Sisters with a pleasing assortment of chocolates.

I have high hopes you were naked when you made sure life is sweet for these career girls. That would have made them happy-go-lucky for another year.

Edited By Uri on 1274687047
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Uri wrote:

So that's why for the past two weeks Damien hasn't been washing, wearing his scruffy wig and those ridiculous shades – he was moonlighting as the head of the jury at Cannes!

But I took time off to go to the nearby Convent of St Genevieve to present the Sisters with a pleasing assortment of chocolates.

Edited By Damien on 1274682108
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Juliette Binoche becomes, I think, the third person to win the top acting awards at Berlin/Cannes/Venice, after Jack Lemmon and Sean Penn. I don't know of anyone else. Isabelle Huppert has won awards at all three, but her award from Berlin was a special ensemble citation.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

It helps that Binoche seems to be in every third movie coming out of Europe (at least that's my impression based on all the times she turns up on Independent Film Channel). She's certainly had an impressive career -- far beyond what I'd have thought the first time I saw her (in The Unbearable Lightness of Being).

Having said earlier that the favorites never win, I'd note this slate is fairly close to what overall critical reaction would have led me to expect. Of those films receiving the highest praise, Uncle Boonmee and Of Gods and Men seemed the most Cannes-ish by far.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I'm glad for Elio Germano - the best young Italian actor of these years - co-winning Best Actor (and with such a star as Javier Bardem).

And of course, as someone who's in love with Juliette Binoche since I saw her - long ago - in a small role in a Godard movie, I'm also very glad for her Best Actress prize. And yes, it's possible that she's now the most internationally celebrated actress in the history of movies (Magnani never won at Cannes, Loren never a competitive award at Berlin).

Edited By ITALIANO on 1274641890
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

France wins three awards, Mike Leigh's film wins nothing.

Juliette Binoche has now won an Oscar, a BAFTA, a Cesar, a Silver Bear, a Volpi, and now the Prix d'interpretation feminine. Does this mean she's the most celebrated actress in the world (or at least the U.S.-European subset of it?)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Palme d'Or - UNCLE BOONMEE!
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Grand Prix - Of Gods and Men
Best Actor - Javier Bardem, Biutiful AND Elio Germano, La Nostra Vita
Best Actress - Juliette Binoche, Certified Copy
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Best Actor: Javier Bardem, Biutiful
Best Actress: Juliette Binoche, Copie Conforme
Short film award Chienne d’Histoire
Año Bisiesto wins Camera d’or
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Jury Prize - The Screaming Man (Mahamat-Saleh Haroun)
Best Director - Matheiu Amalric, On Tour
Best Screenplay - Lee Chang-dong, Poetry
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Thank you, Sonic.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

If anyone wants to watch the ceremony, it's here:
http://festival-cannes.canalplus.fr/festiva....cloture

It's on now.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Oh, and Sonic, there's actually an easier way to do it...it's a little cumbersome when you first do it, but...

(let me preface by saying these directions are for Firefox users, but MSIE users should be able to do it in a somewhat similar manner)

If you go to the page you want to read even after it goes black, hit the View tab at the top of your browser and select Page Source. From there, you just page down to the content you're looking for. It's going to be in html code, but the text is perfectly readable.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I stopped even visiting Variety. If they are going to be stingy with their content (and if you've seen the prices they want for their "electronic editions", you know they're hoping to make more money out of it), I'm going to look elsewhere for my entertainment news. I've started going to hollywoodreporter.com. I don't love their site much as it's hard to navigate and I can't find a search box anywhere, but at least they aren't hiding their content hoping you'll buy a subscription.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “83rd Predictions and Precursors”