83rd Oscars Trivia

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Fact: this is the first internet "Oscar Trivia" thread with an NC-17 rating.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Mister Tee wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:...if Michele Williams joins Bening and Portman, we'll have three best actress nominees who received on-screen oral pleasure.

This came true, and, killer stat: all three actors who provided the pleasure -- Julianne Moore, Mila Kunis and Ryan Gosling -- found themselves without nominations.

So would that make Chloe Sevigny and Hilary Swank the only oral sex pair (both the giver and receiver) to both be nominated?

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1296070080
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

MovieWes wrote:
anonymous wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:The first year since 2000 without an African-American acting nomination (pretty astonishing after all those years of accused Academy racism)
Well, Hailee Steinfeld is actually 1/8 African American (and 1/4 Filipino!).
And how do you know anything about Hailee Steinfeld's lineage Irvin?
Per Wikipedia:

"Steinfeld was born in Tarzana, Los Angeles, the daughter of Cheri, an interior designer, and Peter Steinfeld, a personal fitness trainer. She has an older brother, Griffin,and her uncle is fitness trainer Jake Steinfeld. Her father is Jewish and her mother is of Filipino, African-American and European-American descent."

Somebody should tell that to Laurence O'Donnell, who is fast becoming as much of a windbag on the left as the Fox news idiots are on the right. For no good reason, his opened his show leading up to Obama's Sate of the Union address last night with the line "on the day that the Oscars did not nominate any African-Americans" or some such nonsense, saying the last time that happened Bill Clinton was in the White House. What that had to do with the State of the Union I don't know. He never followed up on the comment.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

anonymous wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:The first year since 2000 without an African-American acting nomination (pretty astonishing after all those years of accused Academy racism)
And how do you know anything about Hailee Steinfeld's lineage Irvin?
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

By my calculations this year the ten Best Picture Nominees earned 69 total nominations. No BP nominee received less than four nominations. Comparing to last year when the ten BP nominees received 54 total nominations, possibly indicating more parity this year and no 'Blind Side' type films.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Edited By anonymous on 1296028217
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Uri wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:Also:

Javier Bardem becomes the first person to win an Oscar for an English-language performance, then get nominated for a foreign-language performance
Actually, Ingrid Bergman was nominated for Swedish speaking Autumn Sonata after being nominated 6 times for English speaking films, and winning twice.
She actually won THRICE.

THRIIIIICE. :p :D (Conan O'Brien reference).
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

FilmFan720 wrote:Also:

Javier Bardem becomes the first person to win an Oscar for an English-language performance, then get nominated for a foreign-language performance

Actually, Ingrid Bergman was nominated for Swedish speaking Autumn Sonata after being nominated 6 times for English speaking films, and winning twice.

Edited By Uri on 1296025704
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Also:

The first year since 2004 to have 2 films each garner 3 Acting Nominations

The first year since 2000 without an African-American acting nomination (pretty astonishing after all those years of accused Academy racism)

Rooster Cogburn joins the short list of roles that brought 2 different actor Oscar nods
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

flipp525 wrote:- Third consecutive year in which two actresses from the same film have been nominated in the Best Supporting Actress category and the seventh time in the past decade.
And it hasn't happened in a category outside of Supporting Actress since 1991, when it happened in Actress AND Supporting Actor
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

- Third consecutive year in which two actresses from the same film have been nominated in the Best Supporting Actress category and the seventh time in the past 11 years.

- Not sure if this is of note at all, but all five Best Actress nominees play contemporary, fictional characters in their respective films.

Edited By flipp525 on 1296016031
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Here's a first (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken)... Dogtooth is the first film nominated in any category that features a male erection (GASP)!
Don't ask me how I am pulling this one out of thin air, but Angels and Insects would have been the first.
FilmFan, you are right. And like Dogworth - semi erect.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

anonymous wrote:
MovieWes wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Here's a first (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken)... Dogtooth is the first film nominated in any category that features a male erection (GASP)!
Didn't Boogie Nights have one too? It's been a while since I saw it, so maybe I'm misremembering.
He showed his penis but it wasn't erect.

As for the masturbation question, how quickly you guys have forgotten Kevin Spacey in American Beauty.
O.K. semi erect then.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

MovieWes wrote:
Didn't Boogie Nights have one too? It's been a while since I saw it, so maybe I'm misremembering.
He showed his penis but it wasn't erect.

As for the masturbation question, how quickly you guys have forgotten Kevin Spacey in American Beauty.
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Sonic Youth wrote:I never knew trivia could be so interesting.
I think "exciting" is a more apt description.

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”