83rd Oscars Trivia

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

flipp525 wrote:- Third consecutive year in which two actresses from the same film have been nominated in the Best Supporting Actress category and the seventh time in the past 11 years.
And Amy Adams is in two of them.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

The Social Network is the first Best Picture nominee produced and distributed by Columbia Pictures since 1995's Sense and Sensibility. It also stands as one of only three major distributors to not receive a Best Picture nomination in that 15-year span of time. The others are MGM and United Artists. MGM hasn't been nominated since 1987's Moonstruck and United Artists hasn't been nominated since 1988's Rain Man.

It should be noted, however, that both TriStar and Sony Pictures Classics have received Best Picture nominations since Columbia's last Best Picture nomination.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

anonymous wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Susanne Bier becomes the first woman to have directed two films nominated for Best Foreign Language film.

After the Wedding and now It's a Better World.
No. 2nd. Caroline Link was first. Beyond Silence and Nowhere in Africa (which won).
I love NOWHERE IN AFRICA.

Also, for the second year in a row, every single nominee in the costume category was a woman. The costume department has always been a pretty good place for female artisans, but usually there is at least one male nominated.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Michael Arndt is the first person to receive writing Oscar nominations for both live-action and animation.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Precious Doll wrote:Susanne Bier becomes the first woman to have directed two films nominated for Best Foreign Language film.

No. 2nd. Caroline Link was first. Beyond Silence and Nowhere in Africa (which won).

Edited By anonymous on 1296204360
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Susanne Bier becomes the first woman to have directed two films nominated for Best Foreign Language film.

"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Real trivia...or at least an interesting pattern.

The first woman nominated for directing was in 1976 (SEVEN BEAUTIES).

Ten years later the first film nominated for Best Picture directed by a woman (CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD - 1986).

A couple years later, two consecutive years of a Best Picture nominee directed by a woman (AWAKENINGS - 1990 and PRINCE OF TIDES - 1991).

Three years later, the first combined nomination for a female director and her film for Best Picture (THE PIANO - 1993).

Another ten year wait until that happens again (LOST IN TRANSLATION - 2003).

Then a couple years pass for another Best Picture nominee with a female co-director (LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE - 2006).

Three years after that we have not only two Best Picture nominees directed by women, but one of those films winning Best Picture and a woman winning Best Director (AN EDUCATION - 2009 and THE HURT LOCKER - 2009).

Followed the next year by two Best Picture nominees directed by women (THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT - 2010 and WINTER'S BONE - 2010).

With ten nominees for Best Picture, I am hoping we can start having a good streak of at least one Best Picture nominee being directed by a woman every year.

I hear Vera Farmiga's directorial debut HIGHER GROUND is getting good press from Sundance. Maybe it or another film could find itself in the top ten.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1296167109
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

(Damien @ Jan. 27 2011,1:52)
I think Supporting Actor nominee Sal Mineo has a visible hard on in a scene where he's talking to James Dean in Rebel Without A Cause.

New topic of trivia conversation: actors with secret boners. Isn't anybody the daughter or son of a previous winner?

Nah, fuck that. That's not why we're here. TRIVIA! Natalie Portman is the first nominated actor or actress to go down on herself.

Also since her last nomination almost ten years ago, Nicole Kidman has become the most recent nominee that also functions as a Before and After on the dangers of plastic surgery.

Edited By Sabin on 1296163250
"How's the despair?"
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I think it's only really interesting when one of the "big four" tech categories (cinematography, editing, art direction and costume design) is completely without a single best picture nominee, as it was for cinematography in 2006.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

rain Bard wrote:
Greg wrote:All the nominees in the Makeup category are the respective films' sole nominations. I think it has been a very long time since this has happened outside ot the Foreign Film, Documenatry, and Short Subject categories.
Five years since it happened in the Animated Feature category.
Not even that far...Best Song, 2007 (although that includes Enchanted's 3 nods)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Greg wrote:All the nominees in the Makeup category are the respective films' sole nominations. I think it has been a very long time since this has happened outside ot the Foreign Film, Documenatry, and Short Subject categories.
Five years since it happened in the Animated Feature category.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

All the nominees in the Makeup category are the respective films' sole nominations. I think it has been a very long time since this has happened outside ot the Foreign Film, Documenatry, and Short Subject categories.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mister Tee wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:...if Michele Williams joins Bening and Portman, we'll have three best actress nominees who received on-screen oral pleasure.

This came true, and, killer stat: all three actors who provided the pleasure -- Julianne Moore, Mila Kunis and Ryan Gosling -- found themselves without nominations.

But in "providing pleasure," they experienced pleasure, too.

I think Supporting Actor nominee Sal Mineo has a visible hard on in a scene where he's talking to James Dean in Rebel Without A Cause.

Edited By Damien on 1296114891
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:...if Michele Williams joins Bening and Portman, we'll have three best actress nominees who received on-screen oral pleasure.

This came true, and, killer stat: all three actors who provided the pleasure -- Julianne Moore, Mila Kunis and Ryan Gosling -- found themselves without nominations.

So would that make Chloe Sevigny and Hilary Swank the only oral sex pair (both the giver and receiver) to both be nominated?

I'm pretty sure Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal's characters did some oral sex offscreen in Brokeback Mountain.

And oh, Jane Fonda and Jon Voight in Coming Home.

Edited By anonymous on 1296111415
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sonic...I just shake my head when looking at the discussion in this thread and move on.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”