83rd Oscars Trivia

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Darren Aronofsky was in talks to also direct The Fighter but dropped out to do Black Swan.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

There was at least one person connected with each best picture nominee that was either connected with another one or connected with someone who was connected with another one.

Matt Damon dropped out The Fighter to make True Grit.

True Grit's Jeff Bridges was in Tucker: The Man and His Dream written by The Kings' Speech's David Seidel.

The King's Speech's Harvey Weinstein and The Social Network's Scott Rudin were battling collaborators on previous nominees The Hours and The Reader.

Winter's Bone's Jennifer Lawrence lost the title role in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo to The Social Network's Rooney Mara.

The Social Network's Rooney Mara's sister Kate was in 127 Hours.

127 Hours's James Franco was in talks to play the part that went to Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Inception.

Inception's Cillian Murphy from Danny Boyel's 28 Days Later was in talks to star in 127 Hours.

The Social Network's producer Kevin Spacey won an Oscar for American Beauty for which The Kids Are All Right's Annette Bening was previously nominated.

True Grit's Hailee Steinfeld's uncle Jake "Body by Jacke" Steinfeld was in The Money Pit with Toy Story 3's Tom Hanks.

Black Swan's Darren Aronofsky was an executive producer of The Fighter.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Unfortunately, no. John Madden is boringly functional, whereas Tom Hoo/pper made horrible visual choices. It's actually hard to decide who is a worse Oscar winner this decade: Tom Hoo/pper or Ron Howard? I mean, Tom Hooper did a pretty bad job shooting his film. I understand that some people were impressed with his work in a "dangling-keys-in-front-of-your-face-when-you're-five-months-old kinda way (Oh, look! He's doing stuff! I'm used to costumed films not doing stuff!), but he's certainly better with performances, which is to say three of his actors. Also, I'm pretty sure that the manner in which The King's Speech was acquired was different from the in-house production work on Shakespeare in Love.

Unless Harvey Weinstein's gauche PG-13-ening of The King's Speech rubs Tom Hoo/pper the wrong way, he's in the Miramax stable for goodsies. But he's slightly more removed from John Madden territory than Ron Howard territory. It's too soon to say who will end up the better/worse director. Ron Howard did make Frost/Nixon which was well done, and Apollo 13 operates more on a functional basis than a directorial one but it holds up pretty well. I don't think he's done anything as horrid as That Wall though.
"How's the despair?"
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

I was lazy, but there are Eastwood and Freeman. Again – both films are part of a bigger entity, meaning the Eastwood opus. Then again, as Sabin might say, aren't John Madden and La Hoo/pper one entity too?
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Big Magilla wrote:
Uri wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:Colin Firth joins the club of actors who have appeared in 3 Best Picture Winners.
Speaking about actors in best pictures, isn't the fact that Firth and Rush were in both SiL and TKS unprecedented?
No. Off the top of my head, Pacino and Duvall in Godfather and Godfather II.
Off course. How silly of me. But, apart from the Godfather saga, which after all, is kind of one entity, can you think of other examples?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Uri wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:Colin Firth joins the club of actors who have appeared in 3 Best Picture Winners.

Speaking about actors in best pictures, isn't the fact that Firth and Rush were in both SiL and TKS unprecedented?

No. Off the top of my head, Pacino and Duvall in Godfather and Godfather II.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1298968908
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Colin Firth joins the club of actors who have appeared in 3 Best Picture Winners.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe Lora Hirschberg is the first woman to win for Sound Mixing. If she is, she got to the podium ahead of multiple-nominated-but-Oscarless Anna Behlmer.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Greg wrote:Other than the winners for Foreign Language Film, Documentary, and Short Subject categories, every film to win an award made over $60 in domestic ticket sales and over $100 million in total world-wdie ticket sales.
If you exclude make-up, every other winner made over $90 million. Whatever worries the Academy had two years ago about obscurity, this was an evening devoted to widespread popularity.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Other than the winners for Foreign Language Film, Documentary, and Short Subject categories, every film to win an award made over $60 in domestic ticket sales and over $100 million in total world-wide ticket sales.

Edited By Greg on 1298930910
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's the first time in six years that two actors from the same film won Oscars. And it's the first time in 24 years that those two wins came both in the supporting categories.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Christian Bale and Melissa Leo is only the second time an actor and actress playing mother and son both won Oscars. The first being Daniel Day Lewis and Brenda Fricker for My Left Foot.

I do believe The Social Network is now the only film to have won all 4 major critics awards and the Globe but lost the Oscar.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Robert Stomberg became the first back-to-back winner since 2003, when a bunch of Lord of the Rings folks did it. That 7 year drought is the longest in Academy history.

Also, the first year since 2006 where no one won more than 1 award.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

Melisso Leo and Christian Bale's nominations mark the fifth time a mother and son role received nominations both in the Supporting categories. The others:

Death of a Salesman, 1951: Mildred Dunnock and Kevin McCarthy
Kramer vs. Kramer, 1979: Meryl Streep and Justin Henry.
The Sixth Sense, 1999: Toni Collette and Haley Joel Osment
The Hours, 2002: Julianne Moore and Ed Harris (they had different timelines and never acted in the same scene. Interestingly this also occurred with a father/daughter supporting duo in The Godfather Part II with Robert DeNiro and Talia Shire)

It will be a first if both Leo and Bale win, although it is not a first if the categories are expanded e.g. My Left Foot.

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”