83rd Oscars Trivia

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I never knew trivia could be so interesting.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Amy Adams in Junebug.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Greg wrote:Continuing this theme, was Natalie Portman the first performer to win a nomination who portrayed a character masturbating?
Even more recently, Jackie Earle Haley in Little Children.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Greg wrote:Continuing this theme, was Natalie Portman the first performer to win a nomination who portrayed a character masturbating?
Go way back: Joanne Woodward in Rachel, Rachel.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Continuing this theme, was Natalie Portman the first performer to win a nomination who portrayed a character masturbating?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Mister Tee wrote:...if Michele Williams joins Bening and Portman, we'll have three best actress nominees who received on-screen oral pleasure.
This came true, and, killer stat: all three actors who provided the pleasure -- Julianne Moore, Mila Kunis and Ryan Gosling -- found themselves without nominations.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Precious Doll wrote:Here's a first (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken)... Dogtooth is the first film nominated in any category that features a male erection (GASP)!
Didn't Boogie Nights have one too? It's been a while since I saw it, so maybe I'm misremembering.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Precious Doll wrote:Here's a first (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken)... Dogtooth is the first film nominated in any category that features a male erection (GASP)!
Don't ask me how I am pulling this one out of thin air, but Angels and Insects would have been the first.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Here's a first (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken)... Dogtooth is the first film nominated in any category that features a male erection (GASP)!
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Last year's nominees who are returning to the field:
Tom Myers (Sound) - Coming back for the third year in a row
Alexandre Desplat (Score) - Coming back for the third year in a row
Jeff Bridges (Actor) - One of two winners from 2009 returning to protect his prize
Robert Tromberg (Art Direction) - One of two winners from 2009 returning to protect his prize
Joel Coen (Picture/Director/Screenplay) - One of two people to garner multiple nominations 2 years in a row
Ethan Coen (Picture/Director/Screenplay) - One of two people to garner multiple nominations 2 years in a row
Colin Firth (Actor)
Jeremy Renner (Actor)
Colleen Atwood (Costume Design)
Sandy Powell (Costume Design)
Hans Zimmer (Score)
Randy Newman (Score/Song)
Michael Silvers (Sound Effects)
Gwendolyn Yates Whittle (Sound Effects)
Mark P. Stoeckinger (Sound Effects)
Greg P. Russell (Sound)

MULTIPLE NODS
Christopher Nolan (Picture/Original Screenplay)
Danny Boyle (Picture/Adapted Screenplay)
Scott Rudin (Picture) - Only person nominated against them self this year)
Joel Coen (Picture/Director/Adapted Screenplay)
Ethan Coen (Picture/Director/Adapted Screenplay)
Anne Rosellini (Picture/Adapted Screenplay)
Le Unkrich (Animated Film/Adapted Screenplay)
A.R. Rahman (Score/Song)
Skip Livesay (Sound/Sound Editing)
Craig berkey (Sound/Sound Editing)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Does anyone know if this is the first time no film not nominated for Best Picture has won more than three nominations?
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

An interesting development that I just realized is that The Fighter was originally supposed to be Darren Aronofsky's follow-up to The Wrestler. Ultimately, he dropped out in favor of Black Swan and David O. Russell came in to replace him. Now both films are in the Best Picture race and both directors are competing against each other for Best Director.

Has this ever happened before?

Edited By MovieWes on 1295989008
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mister Tee wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:I haven't checked to see if I'm right. But I suspect that with the nomination of "Hereafter" for Best Visual Effects, Clint Eastwood-directed films have now been nominated in every feasible category.
I don't find costumes or make-up. Impressive, nonethless.
Aw, shoot.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sonic Youth wrote:I haven't checked to see if I'm right. But I suspect that with the nomination of "Hereafter" for Best Visual Effects, Clint Eastwood-directed films have now been nominated in every feasible category.
I don't find costumes or make-up. Impressive, nonethless.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

And (assuming I'm right) how many other directors can make that claim? Probably Spielberg. Anyone else?
William Wyler maybe.

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”