83rd Oscars Trivia

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I haven't checked to see if I'm right. But I suspect that with the nomination of "Hereafter" for Best Visual Effects, Clint Eastwood-directed films have now been nominated in every feasible category.

And (assuming I'm right) how many other directors can make that claim? Probably Spielberg. Anyone else?

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1295986063
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

anonymous wrote:Mark Wahlberg may not have gotten in Best Actor but he is one of the nominated producers. How many people have won/been nominated for both producing and acting?

The only ones on top of my head are Michael Douglas and Warren Beatty.
Clint Eastwood (twice), Roberto Benigni, and Kevin Costner.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous wrote:Mark Wahlberg may not have gotten in Best Actor but he is one of the nominated producers. How many people have won/been nominated for both producing and acting?

Orson Welles.

I believe Henry Fonda was the first actor nominated for producing but not acting in a film he starred in - 1957's Twelve Angry Men.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Mark Wahlberg may not have gotten in Best Actor but he is one of the nominated producers. How many people have won/been nominated for both producing and acting?

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:It's not the Oscars, but at the Golden Globes Annette Bening reminded us that her husband, Warren Beatty, won the Best Newcomer Award of 1961,

....when Annette was only 3 years old. :p

Edited By anonymous on 1295888232
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Precious Doll wrote:If Annette Benning, Julianne Moore & Natalie Portman all receive nominations for best actress, this could be the first time that three performances with a sapphic slant are nominated in the same category in a given year.
In the same vein...if Michele Williams joins Bening and Portman, we'll have three best actress nominees who received on-screen oral pleasure.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

If Annette Benning, Julianne Moore & Natalie Portman all receive nominations for best actress, this could be the first time that three performances with a sapphic slant are nominated in the same category in a given year.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's not the Oscars, but at the Golden Globes Annette Bening reminded us that her husband, Warren Beatty, won the Best Newcomer Award of 1961, a stretch of 49 years.

There's nothing comparable at the Oscars unless you want to link the wives of Laurence Olivier where there is a 53 year stretch between the first nominations of Olivier's second wife, 1939's Best Actress winner Vivien Leigh, and his third wife and widow, Joan Plowright, a 1992 nominees.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1295815142
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

If the favorites prevail, with The Social Network winning Best Picture, David Fincher Best Director, and Aaron Sorkin Best Adapted Screenplay; from The King's Speech Colin Firth winning Best Actor and David Seidler Best Original Screenplay; from The Fighter Christian Bale winning Best Supporting Actor and Melissa Leo Best Supporting Actress; then, 7 of the 8 major awards will go to films about people who actually lived.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

It is true that we could, conceivably, have two staggeringly young lead acting fields, with Eisenberg, Franco and Gosling taking up the majority of Best Actor slots, and Lawrence, Portman, HaiLead, and Williams all making it in Best Actress. Throw in Garfield and Kunis in the supporting categories and we could have one of the most youthful Oscars ever.

P.S. Jackie Cooper is the lead in Skippy. Even if there'd been supporting categories in 1931, maybe he still would have been properly slotted...GASP...setting a precedent for the next eighty years of no category fraud ever!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Jennifer Lawrence turned 20 last year.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Might as well get this started. Some interesting facts ahead of time are always fun.

If Jennifer Lawrence and Hailee Steinfeld are both nominated for Lead Actress it will be only the fourth time in history two nominees in the same category were under the age of 20 (first time in the lead category) and only the 7th time in history two nominees under the age of 20 have been nominated in the same year.

1945: Ann Blyth (Supp. Actress), Joan Loring (Supp. Actress)
1955: Natalie Wood (Supp. Actress), Sal Mineo (Supp. Actor)
1962: Mary Badham (Supp. Actress), Patty Duke (Supp. Actress)
1973: Tatum O'Neal (Supp. Actress), Linda Blair (Supp. Actress)
1979: Justin Henry (Supp. Actor), Mariel Hemingway (Supp. Actress), Barry Alexander Brown (Documentary)
1993: Anna Paquin (Supp. Actress), Leonardo DiCaprio (Supp. Actor)
2007: Saoirse Ronan (Supp. Actress), Marketa Irglova (Song)

They would also be the third and fourth actors under the age of 20 to be nominated in the lead categories. Jackie Cooper was the first (only because there was no supporting actor category at the time) and Keisha Castle-Hughes the second.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”