In Memoriam

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

kaytodd wrote:Does someone have to be a member of AMPAS to be included in the In Memoriam segment?
Michael Jackson was oddly included last year and I doubt he was an AMPAS member.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Does someone have to be a member of AMPAS to be included in the In Memoriam segment? If so, can we assume that Betty Garret, Corey Haim and Peter Graves were members?

Lisa Blount's omission is particularly interesting since not only do a lot of people remember her role as the sexy villainess in An Officer And A Gentleman but she is an Oscar winner. She and her husband produced the 2001 Live Action Short winner.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Betty Garrett only died the other day. Maybe it was too late to insert her into the footage, but Peter Graves should have been included. The others, including Corey Haim, were not nearly as big some of those omitted in past years including Dorothy McGuire and Farrah Fawcett.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

From AOL:

Corey Haim, Peter Graves and Betty Garrett Left Out of Oscars In Memoriam Montage

As Oscars night draws to a close, we begin to reflect on the victories, surprises and snubs of the evening -- 'King's Speech' over 'Social Network,' still no love for Christopher Nolan? 'Crash' over 'Brokeback'? (OK, so we have long memories ...)

One segment that can always be counted on to court controversy is the In Memoriam montage, a sober look back at the stars we've loved and lost over the past year. At the 2010 awards, Oscar drew criticism for failing to feature Farah Fawcett in the retrospective, and it looks like the sin of omission struck again this year, when Corey Haim, Peter Graves and Betty Garrett failed to make the cut on the telecast.

Corey Haim died of pneumonia on March 10, 2010, at age 38, having struggled with drug addiction for many years. A teen heartthrob in the 1980s, Haim was best known for films such as 'Lucas,' 'License to Drive' and the cult horror classic 'The Lost Boys.'

His name was also omitted from the SAG Awards' In Memoriam section last month, prompting his friend and co-star, Corey Feldman, to comment in a statement, "We have become used to not being honored by our peers in the industry ... I have faith that the Academy will make a wiser choice." His faith was evidently misplaced.

On March 14, 2010, four days after Haim's death, Peter Graves succumbed to a heart attack at age 83. The star of more than 70 films, television series and TV movies over the course of his career (including a memorable turn as Captain Clarence Oveur in 'Airplane!' and 'Airplane II'), Graves was best known for his starring role as Jim Phelps in the CBS TV series 'Mission: Impossible.'

Betty Garrett, star of 'All in the Family' and 'Laverne and Shirley,' died of an aortic aneurysm on February 12, 2011, at the age of 91. After making her name as a performer on Broadway, Garrett went on to star in several musicals for MGM, appearing alongside Frank Sinatra in 'On The Town' and 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame,' and later on a number of television series including 'Becker,' 'Grey's Anatomy' and 'Boston Public.'

As the night wears on, a number of other omissions have been noticed -- they include Maria Schneider of 'Last Tango in Paris,' Lisa Blount of 'An Officer and a Gentleman,' writer Monica Johnson and actor Maury Chaykin, best known for his small screen portrayal of Nero Wolfe and his supporting work in such films as 'Dances with Wolves' and 'Entrapment'
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Corey Haim and Maria Schneider were omitted. Causing some raised feathers.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Okri wrote:No applause.
Good. I always thought that was tacky.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:Yes, I did. I was flustered a couple of times by longer more complex typographical names, but I made it through.
Great job thanks. I missed the first half of the list due to a power cut.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Yes, I did. I was flustered a couple of times by longer more complex typographical names, but I made it through.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

No applause.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Wow OscarGuy! Did you type those all out as they flashed on the TV?

I missed this part of the show. Who received the loudest applause?
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

John Barry
Grant McCune
Tony Curtis
Edward Limato
Tom Mankiewicz
Gloria Stuart
William Fraker
Joseph Strick
Lionel Jeffries
Sally Menke
Ronni Chasen
Leslie Nielsen
Robert Radnitz
Claude Chabrol
Pete Postlethwaite
Bill Littlejohn
Pierre Guffroy
Patricial Neal
George Hickenlooper
Irving Ravetch
Robert Culp
Bob Boyle
Mario Monicelli
Lynn Redgrave
Elliott Kastner
Dede Allen
Peter Yates
Anne Francis
Arthur Penn
Theoni Aldredge
Susannah York
Ronald Neame
David Wolper
Jill Clayburgh
Alan Hume
Irvin Kershner
Dennis Hopper
Dino De Laurentiis
Blake Edwards
Kevin McCarthy
Lena Horne
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”