Best Director

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

It's not as if David Fincher took a crappy script and made a great movie. He had a lousy script and made a lousy movie, Tom Hooper had an excellent script and didn't fuck it up. Kudos to him, and hooray for King's Speech, the second best of the 10 Best Picture nominees.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Hooper's directing was pedestrian at best. I'd even say that Ron Howard did a better job directing the awful A Beautiful Mind than Hooper did with The King's Speech.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

ITALIANO wrote:brilliantly directed

Wait, someone on this board has used those words consecutively about this film?

Edited By Bog on 1298868581
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I wonder how people who make movies, and who are into movies, can find The King's Speech to be so brilliantly directed. But I guess we have been here before.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

So it finally has now happened...sure wish there was a concrete reason outside of pure award excess backlash.

The film that seemed destined to bore us out of our minds with another Slumdog type slaughter...winds up with...well...basically nothing, at least as far as non-UAADB, Joe Public types are concerned.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sonic Youth wrote:
kaytodd wrote:An undeserved award but a nice speech. I had never heard that story about how he came to direct The King's Speech.

FWIW, I predict a split. TSN will win, IMO.
But wouldn't that feel like all kinds of wrong?

What's worse? Losing Best Picture, or winning Picture and Fincher losing to Hooper?
Really. It would have been like Paul Haggis winning director but BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN winning Best Picture.

This is the weirdest year ever.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:Thank God. I was beginning to think Social Network might actually win Best Picture. Phew
Ditto
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

kaytodd wrote:An undeserved award but a nice speech. I had never heard that story about how he came to direct The King's Speech.

But wouldn't that feel like all kinds of wrong?

What's worse? Losing Best Picture, or winning Picture and Fincher losing to Hooper?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Thank God. I was beginning to think Social Network might actually win Best Picture. Phew
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

An undeserved award but a nice speech. I had never heard that story about how he came to direct The King's Speech.

The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

ITALIANO wrote:I expected it, but I'm not happy - not only because he didn't deserve it, but also because it makes Best Picture even TOO predictable now,
What are the chances of the reverse split?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

They could at least have made this the penultimate award to give out, like in the other years.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Yeah, this was just mean to Tee.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Never bet against the DGA
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I expected it, but I'm not happy - not only because he didn't deserve it, but also because it makes Best Picture even TOO predictable now,

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”