Best Supporting Actress

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Don't tell me that one never hears bad language on American live television... I mean, I sincerely hope for America that it happens as often as in the rest of the world!

Loved the whole thing - from Kirk Douglas appearing on stage to her confused, crazy speech. In such a flat evening, it was at least lively.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Leo's shock reaction made me cringe, but the experience of her on stage with Kirk is one of the most surreal moments I remember at the Oscars, and made me hope we were in for an entertaining night. If only...!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

For a while now I have been saying that Melissa Leo didn't know she was being filmed in The Fighter. This is a master class lecture in how not to give an acceptance speech. Somewhere backstage, Gwyneth Paltrow toasted Roberto Benigni saying THANK GOD, THEY'LL LEAVE US ALONE!

This is what happens when all the Sex and the City broads have a child. You get the unpleasantness that is Melissa Leo. It's as though Kirk Douglas knew what was about to happen and did us a favor by putting off the pain as long as he could. To be fair, I knew it was going to be horrible. I predicted it. How could I have guessed she would drop an "accidental" F-bomb, cry to the heavens, shudder in fake shock, act confused, take Kirk Douglas' cane as she walked away.

Melissa Leo was this year's Oscars in their entirety, all self-absorbed, meaningless, schticky pageantry that's guaranteed never to work in this town again.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I had no problems with her singing along. I really do think she looked like a drunk crazy aunt at a family reunion. Everyone has one. LOL.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I had no problem with her singing along with the kids, but the arrogance of the woman knows no bounds. She is as clueless as she is classless.

Backstage a reporter questioned her about her choice of words to which she coyly responded that she sincerely apologizes to anyone who was offended by her language but that she speaks plain English or something to that effect. I guess no one ever told her there was a time and place for everything and the Oscars wasn't the place for acting like trailer trash especially when it was her umpteenth win of the season, she was the favorite and should have had a nice little speech prepared.

Liked Bale's speech, even if it was repetitive, and Portman at least was sincere. I do agree, though, that Firth's attempt at dry wit fell flat. He's given much better speeches.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1298875616
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

I liked her performance, I like her and I preferred her genuine messiness over Bales generic respectfulness, Firth over baked pseudo wit and Portman's Bat Mitzvah speech. Give me classless if the alternative is boring niceties.

And what else does one supposed to do when surrounded by school kids but sing along? Made perfect sense to be. But I'm predominantly classless myself.
matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

Perhaps her performance in The Fighter wasn't such a stretch for her...
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

My whole party got stunned into silence at her little gaffe (confirmed to be the first of its kind during Oscar night!). Her insincere shock at winning, the endless rambling, what a crap speech.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Haha. I loved that shot of her singing along with the kids at the end. She looked like a crazy drunk aunt at a family reunion.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Classless, the woman outdoes herself in tackiness.
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

WTF?
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

anonymous wrote:Did I hear Melissa say the F word on live TV?
Yes. Lol.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Only in relation to having a legend like Kirk Douglas present her an award.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Did I hear Melissa say the F word on live TV?
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

No matter who else wins, Melissa will definitely be talked about tomorrow.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”