Best Actress

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Uri wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:Finally, a Best Actress choice that the Academy can be proud of. It's the kind of performance that would have won prizes in Europe, too.

The preconditioned, primal love for pretty little things is not what makes European culture superior. Try and come up with some better indications in the future.

Not that. I mean, Sandra Bullock, Gwyneth Paltrow, Reese Witherspoon, just to name three, and it's not like they were all terrible by the way - well, they'd never even been nominated for a major prize in Europe. Maybe Europe would be wrong, but it's a fact.

Natalie Portman's performance - which is, let's face it, very good, but this isn't the point - would easily win, for example, a Cesar. It's the kind of edgy acting turn that we like here - not an easy one, not the kind which makes one confortable. This doesn't necessarily mean that the Academy did it right - though I am sure that, for once, it did.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1298899386
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This was a good year for the Best Actress nominees and while she wasn't my choice I love that she named people on her crew, demonstrated humility towards her fellow nominees, and seemed genuinely gracious. A better winner than usual if not this year and something that was bound to happen eventually.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Black Swan is an atrocity, but I can only be happy that the star of V For Vendetta has an Oscar. (She also was wonderful onBroadway a decade ago as Ann Frank.)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

danfrank wrote:I do have to say she looked very beautiful onstage.
She must be carrying a female child.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

anonymous wrote:Natalie won while pregnant. Who else (Lead or Supporting) won while pregnant?

Off the top of my head:

Meryl Streep (I think)
Streep was heavily pregnant when she won for Sophie's Choice. I remember Sylvester Stallone presented her the Oscar and she dropped the piece of paper which had her acceptance speech.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Natalie won while pregnant. Who else (Lead or Supporting) won while pregnant?

Off the top of my head:

Eva Marie Saint
Meryl Streep (I think)
Catherine Zeta-Jones
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I do have to say she looked very beautiful onstage.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

ITALIANO wrote:Finally, a Best Actress choice that the Academy can be proud of. It's the kind of performance that would have won prizes in Europe, too.
The preconditioned, primal love for pretty little things is not what makes European culture superior. Try and come up with some better indications in the future.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

All the nominees were great. Natalie deserves it as much as any of them, and they would all have been worthy winners.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Ugh.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This was the first award I was truly excited about tonight. A deserved win. While I like the prizes for Inception, they didn't really have a lot of competition (except Cinematography)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Finally, a Best Actress choice that the Academy can be proud of. It's the kind of performance that would have won prizes in Europe, too.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

This cheered me up after the Tom Hooper win.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

This made me happy.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Natalie Portman - Black Swan
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”