Ceremony Details

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I don't know... I'm sure that everyone here was so enthusiastic two years ago. But I mean, one can change his mind of course.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

ITALIANO wrote:Exactly, though let's be honest, when the new device was introduced two years nobody except me said that the old, neglected clips were much better.

That's just not true. I instantly lamented the loss of film clips when the new format was introduced. If I weren't so busy today at work, I'd dig up the exact quote.

Edited By flipp525 on 1297951914
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

By the way, the lead acting races introduced by peers was adopted by the spanish academy at the Goyas last sunday.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Let´s keep our finger crossed and hope the clips will be there.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Damien wrote:The producers liked the tribute introductions but thought that to do it a third year in a row would be tired; hence they came up with Plan B.
Plan B being?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The producers liked the tribute introductions but thought that to do it a third year in a row would be tired; hence they came up with Plan B.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I do not believe they were saying they wanted one or the other...I'd be perfectly fine with both.

Hell, a clip narrated and introduced on tape by an Oscar winner/nominee would work just as well as an in-person tribute, IMO. Keeps the feeling "welcome to the club" while keeping the clips intact.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Exactly, though let's be honest, when the new device was introduced two years nobody except me said that the old, neglected clips were much better. Anyway, it was an absolutely empty (though, I admit, pleasantly American) idea and I'm glad it has been dumped.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It's not Survivor. It's the Oscars. We need the clips.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Good. I always thought that getting rid of the film clips of the nominated work was an uproariously stupid idea.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

My guess is, he's talking about the 1972 awards, where the leading actors were introduced with a filmed segment that not only showed a clip from their nominated work but also gave brief biographical surveys of their careers (of course, for some that year -- like Paul Winfield -- they had to dig to find much prior history, much as they'll have to do for Jennifer Lawrence this year).

Why do I remember this? 1) I have a memory for the stupidest things (even while I'll forget where I left my keys 30 seconds ago) and 2) I quite recall (it's recounted in Inside Oscar, as well) the Liza Minnelli intro, during which Rock Hudson, referencing Liza's mother, said "In a horse-race like the Oscars, bloodlines count, and Liza's got bloodlines". Liza was irked by this, preferring to believe she won strictly on her own merits, and her acceptance speech pointedly said "Thank you for giving me this award; you've made ME very happy". (Which some in the press wrongly took as a rebuke to Marlon Brando, whose Sacheen Littlefeather act had taken place just a few moments earlier)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

mlrg wrote:Produces of the show stated the following. Does anyone know what it might mean?

Will Nominees In the Lead Acting Races Still Be Introduced By Friends/Peers? | This year’s Oscarcast is doing away with that pleasantry, yet retaining the “personal tribute” aspect by dipping into the show’s past. “In one of our proudest ‘steals,’ we found a way, from a 1970s [Academy Awards telecast], to do that without bringing out all these extra people,” Cohen shares. “We’re using that, baby!”
I'm guessing it would be like this:

Sissy Spacek win for Coal Miner's Daughter.

Robert De Niro, Raging Bull

But that's a 1981 telecast, unless he's mistaken.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Produces of the show stated the following. Does anyone know what it might mean?

Will Nominees In the Lead Acting Races Still Be Introduced By Friends/Peers? | This year’s Oscarcast is doing away with that pleasantry, yet retaining the “personal tribute” aspect by dipping into the show’s past. “In one of our proudest ‘steals,’ we found a way, from a 1970s [Academy Awards telecast], to do that without bringing out all these extra people,” Cohen shares. “We’re using that, baby!”

Return to “83rd Nominations and Winners”