The Social Network

MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

It seems that I disagree with almost everyone on this board. I think it's one of the best trailers of the year, possibly even one of the best of the past 3 years. I'm totally jazzed for this movie.

I also disagree that this should be a light-hearted affair. The story behind Facebook is actually a very interesting story about greed and corruption. I'm not sure if you know this, but Mark Zuckerberg, the president and co-founder of Facebook, became the youngest billionaire in history by stabbing his friends and co-workers in the back and his best friend, Eduardo Saverin, ended up suing him for $600 million. There's nothing light-hearted about the subject matter, and I think the trailer conveys this very well.

Edited By MovieWes on 1280255529
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sorkin can certainly be a bit much at times, but he can sometimes be a source of great humor and insight. THE WEST WING was brilliant television and CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR was a great history lesson and a funny movie.

I thought a movie about Facebook sounded like a dreadful idea, but I figured at least Sorkin could bring some wit and charm to it. However, the selection of David Fincher as director seemed to negate any fun Sorkin brought. Fincher is brilliant with creeping dread (ZODIAC) and dark humor (FIGHT CLUB), but this type of film needed a light touch.

The trailer only confirms my worst fears. This movie looks absolutely dreary. It was as if Fincher thought he was making something dark and heavy like THE VERDICT or WALL STREET, when instead he should have gone for light and fun like TUCKER: THE MAN AND THE DREAM.

Maybe the trailer does not represent the movie well, but if it does I think we have a disaster on our hands.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

dws1982 wrote:
Franz Ferdinand wrote:Having just seen that Aaron Sorkin wrote this movie, my interest has risen 500%.
Unfortunately, mine drops by a comparable amount. I like some of the actors in this, and Fincher is usually interesting, but I don't think I can take two hours of Sorkin smugness.
I'm with you. Fincher's films I always view as A-prospects, but, for me, Sorkin found his niche as a network TV writer (not HBO/SHO level) and the trailer makes this look more like a Sorkin effort than a Fincher.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

dws1982 wrote:
Franz Ferdinand wrote:Having just seen that Aaron Sorkin wrote this movie, my interest has risen 500%.
Unfortunately, mine drops by a comparable amount. I like some of the actors in this, and Fincher is usually interesting, but I don't think I can take two hours of Sorkin smugness.
Agreed, though I dislike Fincher as well.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Having just seen that Aaron Sorkin wrote this movie, my interest has risen 500%.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I deactivated my facebook account last month, and I cannot wait for this movie.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Why do I want a movie about the creation of Facebook to bomb? Why?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

The trailer is online, and I have to say... I think we might have our Best Picture frontrunner.

http://www.seat42f.com/the-social-network-movie-trailer.html

Edited By MovieWes on 1279220431
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “2010”