The King's Speech reviews

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:I am generally busy.
Since you are not always busy you need to get the game moving now.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

No, Reza...me not taking my turns has nothing to do with it. I am generally busy. But I also don't feel like posting when my opinions are immediately disregarded or used as some justification to highlight a past predictive mistake I've made.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

On the New Rules segment of Real Time tonight, Bill Maher mentioned the plot of The King's Speech and declared the Oscar race to be over. (Only half-kiddingly.)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:Thank you, Sonic, for reminding me why I haven't been posting around here much in the last several months.

You mean you've been upset all this time? And here I believed you each time when you said that you were too busy to come around and play your turn on time on the games. Chill man we all love you......after all to us you are the creator of THE Social Network.......this wonderful Board.

Edited By Reza on 1285387137
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

OscarGuy wrote:Thank you, Sonic, for reminding me why I haven't been posting around here much in the last several months.
Wes, I mean this in the spirit of friendship -- You really need to stop being so thin-skinned. If you keep taking light-hearted comments so to heart, no one is ever going to want to engage in conversation with you.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Thank you, Sonic, for reminding me why I haven't been posting around here much in the last several months.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

True. And my comment was facile.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:I think we may be a little premature on declaring The King's Speech the likely winner. When was the last time a film about a British monarch won Best Picture? The answer is never. The closest you can come to that kind of a victory are A Man for All Seasons (which dealt with Henry VIII) and Shakespeare in Love (which plays before Queen Elizabeth I).

I'm not saying it couldn't happen or that it won't, but I think we are putting way too much stock into a film that hasn't opened to the public and hasn't approached the critics awards. I can see more likelihood of The Social Network winning than The King's Speech, but we're still four months from the nominations...a lot can change between now and then.
This is so three years ago.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

When was the last time a film about a computer nerd won best picture?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think we may be a little premature on declaring The King's Speech the likely winner. When was the last time a film about a British monarch won Best Picture? The answer is never. The closest you can come to that kind of a victory are A Man for All Seasons (which dealt with Henry VIII) and Shakespeare in Love (which plays before Queen Elizabeth I).

I'm not saying it couldn't happen or that it won't, but I think we are putting way too much stock into a film that hasn't opened to the public and hasn't approached the critics awards. I can see more likelihood of The Social Network winning than The King's Speech, but we're still four months from the nominations...a lot can change between now and then.
Wesley Lovell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I have a feeling that this year the film and director winners will not match. This film and Firth will win but best director goes to another film.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Actually, Magilla, I fully expect that to happen - or more accurately, I'd be surprised if The Social Network actually went all the way and won. I'm still quite startled at the strength of The King's Speech in that Indiewire poll at TIFF.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Some prognosticators are not just predicting Colin Firth for an Oscar, but the film as well. It's apparently a real crowd pleaser that skewers well to older audience members who still comprise the majority of Academy members.

This may be one of those years where the early critics' darling (The Social Network) loses in the end to the film the older set is more comfortable with.

Bertie aka George VI has always been thought of a dull character, which is probably why we haven't seen a film about him before. A quick check of IMDb. reveals that he has been a minor character in only a handful of films. There was a 2002 British TV play about him and his queen called Bertie and Elizabeth, but that was it.

He was born and raised as a "spare heir", the second born son of George V, expected to live his life in the shadow of his father, and then his brother, who would become Edward VIII. Edward, of course, gave up the throne for American divorcee Wallis Simpson and they became the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, their story told many times, being the far more interesting one.

This film, concentrating on the young king's overcoming his affliction apparently humanizes him much in the same way that The Queen humanized his daughter.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1285354014
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't know. Even in the scenes where he's not talking with the stammer, his voice sounds affected. Of course, never having heard the original King George VI's voice, I couldn't say it was comparatively accurate, but I don't we have much reference to it.
Wesley Lovell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:Not talking about the British accent. I'm referring to the voice he's using in the film, which does not sound like his own...So, just like say Matt Damon could do a Southern accent. Sure he's American, but he's Bostonian. But if you feel the need to make fun of me, then there's no point in discussing it further..
I was not making fun of you OG..............merely found Damien's comment amusing.

You are absolutely right because Firth does sound different in the film. This is probably because George V had a terrible stammer and in order to create those speech patterns the actor's voice came out different.

Return to “2010”