2010 Box-Office Predix - Let the guessing begin!

Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

There is one problem with bringing in inflation, and that is re-releases. Gone with The Wind made much of its box office through numerous re-releases over the decades. Avatar is still in its first release; and, we have no idea how much money it will make during the following decades.

Edited By Greg on 1264370104
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I don't get why folks keep bring up inflation. If we use inflated boxoffice to gage things, we'll never be able to move on from Gone With The Wind, thus rendering these Box-Office Prediction posts pointless.

Edited By jack on 1264368629
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Let's also put this in perspective. Even if it tops at $700M, it wouldn't crack the all-time Top 10 when you take into account inflation. Matter of fact, it would have to pass $943 M just to eclipse Titanic.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I think it's got about $150m to go to beat Titanic worldwide record.

I can see it's domestic total edging by $700m and then start fizzle out - unless everyone goes to see it again after it wins a truck-load of Oscars... I'm going to predict around $2.2b worldwide total.

Edited By jack on 1264364676
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

dreaMaker wrote:36 millions for Avatar on its 6th weekend. Unbelievable... A 15% drop.
And i remember when i predicted Avatar's box-office total, being soooo generous while giving him $250-300 M and $600-700 M worldwide. And i was so wrong.
I think most everyone crapped the bed with such low numbers. At this rate, it will sail past Titanic by the end of next weekend. Its biggest weekend drop was only 26%, and that was in its fourth weekend coming out of the holidays. The only thing left to speculate about is its total. Can it crack $700M? $800M? Even higher? The way it has been holding hasn't been seen since Titanic itself, so we could be looking at a ridiculous total.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

36 millions for Avatar on its 6th weekend. Unbelievable... A 15% drop.
And i remember when i predicted Avatar's box-office total, being soooo generous while giving him $250-300 M and $600-700 M worldwide. And i was so wrong.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Another weekend record for Avatar in its sixth weekend. Titanic had a sixth of $25.2M - next weekend might end Avatar's streak as the boat increased to $25.9M.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Some early estimates...

Top 10 For Friday

1. Avatar (Fox) Week 6
Friday $9.1M (-12%) Est Wkd $34M, Est Cume $550M
2. Legion (Sony) NEW [2,476 Theaters]
Friday $6.8M, Est Wkd $18M
3. Book of Eli (Warner Bros) Week 2
Friday $5.0M (-57), Est Wkd $15M, Est Cume $60M.
4. The Tooth Fairy (Fox) NEW [3,344 Theaters]
Friday $3.8M, Est Wkd $14M
5. Lovely Bones (Paramount)
Friday $2.8M, Est Wkd $9M, Est Cume $31.8M
6. Extraordinary Measures (CBS Films) NEW [2,549 Theaters]
Friday $2.1M, Est Wkd $7M
7. Sherlock Holmes (Warner Bros)
Friday $1.9M, Est Wkd $6.5M, Est Cume $190.7M
8. It's Complicated (Universal)
Friday $1.7M, Est Wkd $6M, Est Cume $98.4M
9. Alvin & The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (Fox)
Friday $1.4M, Est Wkd $6.5M, Est Cume $204M
10. The Blind Side (Warner Bros)
Friday $1.2M, Est Wkd $4M, Est Cume $233.5M

Edited By MovieWes on 1264268393
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Zahveed wrote:
MovieWes wrote:The Lovely Bones earned an estimated $5.7 million on Friday and is expected to earn $25 million over the weekend.
Wouldn't we all be kicking ourselves if this movie was resurrected.

Doubtful but humorous thought.
hehe, yes. :)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

MovieWes wrote:The Lovely Bones earned an estimated $5.7 million on Friday and is expected to earn $25 million over the weekend.
Wouldn't we all be kicking ourselves if this movie was resurrected.

Doubtful but humorous thought.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

That Friday figure represents a tiny 21.7% drop from last Friday.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Early estimates have Avatar making $10.5 million on Friday, which pushes its total to $461 million and past Star Wars's $460 million, making it the third highest grossing film of all-time. Pundits are predicting it to make around $50 million over the 4-day MLK holiday, which would put it at around $500 million by Tuesday morning.

Although Avatar is predicted to win the 4-day weekend by a large margin, The Book of Eli knocked it down to second place on Friday, earning an estimated $11.7 million. It is predicted to earn around $35 million for the weekend.

The Lovely Bones earned an estimated $5.7 million on Friday and is expected to earn $25 million over the weekend.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Seeing as how it is 2010, we can discussing the box office here in this thread with another week of Avatar smashing records blah blah blah. It is estimated to have made $48.5M in its fourth weekend, easily a new record (replacing Cameron's own Titanic) with a total of $429M. Bye bye Transformers 2!
Box Office Guru has a chart estimating the road ahead for Avatar based on its weekly grosses. Although he factors in the MLK and President's Day weekends, and the release of Alice in Wonderland in IMAX 3D, he does not speculate about the effects of Golden Globes/Oscar nominations/wins.
http://www.boxofficeguru.com/avatar.htm
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

OscarGuy wrote:I don't know if Franz feels this way, but I do. I'm really getting sick of Tim Burton. His revisionist versions of established sources of late have left me cold. That Johnny Depp shits all over this movie makes me even more angry (don't call it Alice in Wonderland if it's not wholly based on the original story, call it something else).

Personally, I hope it's a failure just so that maybe the studios won't just throw money at Burton to make crap.
That's it exactly, I couldn't have said it better! I think it's a combination of Tim Burton and his tiring shtick, and Johnny Depp and his own even more tiring shtick. It feels like Depp is squandering his well-deserved second wind with some really poor same-y choices - is it a personal choice or has he been pigeonholed by the industry? I want it to fail big, even though some friends are really excited for it.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

My first three are the same as Rolo and Wes. No actual gross predictions though.

1. Iron Man 2
2. Toy Story 3
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows, Part 1
4. Inception
5. The Shimmering Vampire Saga: Three's Company
6. Tron: Legacy
7. Robin Hood
8. The Social Network
9. Clash of the Titans
10. Shrek Forever After
11. Alice in Wonderland
12. Rapunzel