2010: The Stooges

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I don't know, Kaytodd. I can't see Penn and Del Toro going for a film filled to the brim with fart jokes. If anything, I could see this version of the stooges as being more realistic. A believable pair of idiots. There will probably be language and sexual material, but there are directors and writers that are far worse than the Farrelly brothers when it comes to this sort of thing. It's not like National Lampoon is doing it.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

This is my prediction: this film will recreate some of the Stooges classic bits along with some new stuff thought up by the Farrellys. And both the recreated classic bits and the new material will include vulgar language, lots of belches and farts and bodily fluids and topless goils. Some bits will also involve vulgar sexual material. I predict a R rating. Carrey does not automatically attract the under 17 crowd anymore. And I have not noticed the Stooges running regularly on broadcast or cable channels for about 20 years. The target audience will be of college age and older.

I expect the new R rated Stooges will get a chilly reception, and it will probably be deserved. The Farrellys will defend the R rated material by claiming that this is what the Stooges would have done had they not been constrained by the moral codes of their time. IMO, that is baloney, like the arguments that directors like Curtiz and Hitchcock would have made all of their films in color but were unable to do so. Sure, there were constraints on what film theatres would show but there were lots of comics doing what was called "blue" material in the 1930's and 1940's. They were mostly looked down upon by artists like the Howards and Larry Fine. It was assumed that comics did vulgar material because their material was too weak to make people laugh so they go for shock value. They did not see the purpose of comics and other artists to "shock and provoke the bourgeoise" but to make entertaining and interesting material.

I have never done any research in this area but I bet the Stooges never felt constrained by the moral code of the 1930's film industry. They had no problem making great comedy within those constraints.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

I predict this film will bear little resemblance to the Stooges shorts. Those routines and performance, as well as the films themselves, were a product of a time and culture and tradition that have been gone a long time. It will probably have a very different sensibility but it will be a big hit if it is imaginative and funny. But the announcement that the Farrellys decided to make a feature length Stooges short instead of a biopic disappoints me. I fear this means we will see many over the top gross-out scenes. Only this time with famous actors who look sort of like the Three Stooges. The biopic would have forced the Farrellys to make a very diferent film, one that would have interested me much more.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I can buy two of these, but I don't see Del Toro as having the essence of Moe-ness.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I have a good friend who is significantly involved in this project. I'll try to post occasional interesting details if I get them as they come along.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Hard to tell whether this will be a hit or a misfire.

A bio of the Stooges with those three actors would undoubtedly be a serious awards magnet, but a Stooges style comedy with those actors reinterpreting the Stooges could fall flat on its face...or their faces.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

That's some crazy-awesome casting there.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There is an appropriate thread. Here. It's been there for a month at least...and you should read the pinned topic to read how I would prefer subject lines be handled so mergers are easier later.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1238081722
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

As there's no 2010 movie section (that I can see) I'll post this here.

It's from Empire Online:

Penn, Del Toro & Carrey Are The Stooges
For the new Farrelly Bros. comedy

Well, it’s official. After a casting process so long and involved that we heard the BBC were in talks to turn it into a 10-part series with Graham Norton hosting, the Farrelly Brothers have finally, finally, finally found their Three Stooges: Jim Carrey, Sean Penn and Benicio Del Toro.

Let’s put it another way: Jim Carrey, two-time Oscar winner Sean Penn, and Oscar winner, Benicio Del Toro will be playing, respectively, Curly, Larry and Moe in the Farrellys’ revamp of the much-loved Stooges franchise.

Wow. Just… wow. That was not what we were expecting. But we have to say, paraphrasing Danny DeVito in another Carrey flick, Man On The Moon, that the casting choices may be insane… but they might also be brilliant.

Consider the evidence: Carrey, of course, has worked with Peter and Bobby Farrelly before, on their wonderful debut, Dumb & Dumber, and the much-maligned, although often hilarious, Me, Myself & Irene. The trio know each other’s styles inside out, back to front, up and down, and any which way but loose. At his best, Carrey’s comedy has an anarchic, dangerous edge to it, just perfect for the Stooges and their brand of angry slapstick.

Carrey will apparently gain 40 pounds for the role (in real life, Curly Howard – who didn’t actually have curly hair; that was Larry – suffered a stroke in 1946 as a result of his unhealthy lifestyle), in an act of De Niro-esque commitment. Impressive.

Penn, who has already worn Larry's hairstyle once before, when he rocked a perm as Dave Klein in Carlito’s Way, may have gained a reputation as something of a sourpuss who only shows up in worthy projects or wrist-slitting dramas, but he started his career with a brilliant, iconic comedic turn as Spicoli in Fast Times At Ridgemont High. And, since his second Oscar win for Milk back in February, he’s shown signs that he wants to lighten his image. This is definitely a step in the right direction.

As for Del Toro, who will play the bowl-haired Moe, he can be a riot in the right role, be it Fenster in The Usual Suspects, Jackie Boy in Sin City, or Frankie Four Fingers in Snatch. We can’t wait to see the chemistry that the much-vaunted (and, surely, pretty damned expensive) trio will conjure up. We’re guessing that, after over a decade spent on trying to make this movie, the Farrellys are pretty keen on finding out as well.

The Farrellys wrote the script for the movie, which will be an original Stooges adventure, and not a biopic, as some had suggested. It’ll be interesting to see how they reinterpret the Stooges’ antics for a modern audience and, indeed, how they flesh out the movie (most of the Stooges’ screen adventures were short films).

MGM is the studio behind the project, which will begin filming later in the autumn, ready for a release sometime in 2010.

Chris Hewitt

Return to “2010”