Golden Herring/Golden Fail Awards?

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:We would want to announce prior to the Oscars/Oscar Nominations so as not to encourage people to vote one way or another, but perhaps certain rules would be a given:

For example:

:: A studio must take out a trade ad touting the film for a Best Picture nomination among others.
:: The film must have won a precursor award of some kind in one of the big six categories
:: The film must be directed by, produced by or written by a former Oscar winner (I exclude acting mainly because we'd get Halle Berry Catwoman mentions that way).

Or, we could just have a committee that determines which films are eligible based on submissions?
Seems too narrow, but we have nine months to discuss and refine. In the meantime, what about a retroactive list working from 2009 backwards?
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

OscarGuy wrote:So, I was thinking about the Razzies and the Oscars and how people criticize the Razzies for rewarding the "obvious" worst of the year. Well, that's what they do.
This sounds dismissive of that point of view...basically my issue with it is they seem to want to be taken "seriously" (maybe I'm way off and they know they're idiotic), yet Paris HIlton and Uwe Boll are the Streep/Scorsese of their awards program, just having to be present in or make a film to assure a nomination.

What is the merit in this is my main question?

What you are proposing would at least spark intense (likely heated) debate...and allow us to discuss films like Where the Wild Things Are, Nine, Sherlock Holmes, The Happening, The Reader, Crash, etc. that many or most of us have seen and have differing opinions on rather than the usual nominees Bloodrayne, Postal, and The Hottie and the Nottie that I personally would feel dirty just seeing a film in a theater showing such films.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

We would want to announce prior to the Oscars/Oscar Nominations so as not to encourage people to vote one way or another, but perhaps certain rules would be a given:

For example:

:: A studio must take out a trade ad touting the film for a Best Picture nomination among others.
:: The film must have won a precursor award of some kind in one of the big six categories
:: The film must be directed by, produced by or written by a former Oscar winner (I exclude acting mainly because we'd get Halle Berry Catwoman mentions that way).

Or, we could just have a committee that determines which films are eligible based on submissions?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'd say any film that takes itself or its awards potential seriously or impresses bloggers to the point where they seriously promote it as an awards contenders or films that are actually nominated by easily fooled/manipulated awards granters who fall for the hype/stupidity.

The first group would include those films you suggest. The second would include actual nominees such as The Hangover. It might also include, for some, any and all of the Oscar nominated best pictures but since this would be a cumulative effort one person's dislike of any one of them would not necessarily result in its ultimate conclusion. Of course there will be films on the list that others love just as there are films on the the Oscar rolls that many hate.

What it would not include are obviously bad movies like Transformers or acting nods for media hogs like Paris Hilton for whom any mention is a badge of honor.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Of course it's possible. I would say films eligible would only be those that were considered in contention at one point and have at least gotten trade ads, though I'm sure there were ads out there for Transformers 2 for Best Picture, but...

It would be something we'd have to discuss seriously on what would be eligible.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Well, yes, but it should be more like the Harvard Lampoon Awards of old, where even films that are nominated for Oscars are eligible.

Here's a sample from 1956:

Ten Worst Movies
The Ten Commandments
Alexander the Great
Trapeze
The Benny Goodman Story
Gaby
Serenade
Bhowani Junction
Miracle in the Rain
The Vagabond King
The Proud and the Profane

Worst Actor
Gregory Peck, Moby Dick

Worst Actress
Jennifer Jones, The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit

Worst Supporting Actor
Elvis Presley, Love Me Tender

Worst Supporting Actress
Anne Baxter, The Ten Commandments

Life Begins at Fifty Award
Joan Crawford in the throes of senilescence culminating her Autumn Leaves love affair by tossing about in the waves with Cliff Robertson

Most Thoroughly Unsatisfying Ending
Rock Hudson's recovery in All That Heaven Allows

Hypocrisy of the Year Award
The five million dollars spent on the theme of antimaterialism in Giant.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

So, I was thinking about the Razzies and the Oscars and how people criticize the Razzies for rewarding the "obvious" worst of the year. Well, that's what they do. But, there are plenty who would want to recognize the Oscar baity films that fail.

What interest do you think there is in a Golden Herring Awards or Golden Fail Awards?

Make a concerted effort to recognize the Oscar contenders that don't end up being worth anything. Amelia, Nine, The Lovely Bones...it would be a true anti-Oscars.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”