Categories One-by-One: Makeup

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Original BJ wrote:I'm going to bump this, in case it got lost over the weekend.
I don't think it got lost so much as people are predicted out in the below-the-line categories. I know I am.

In any event I think if they called this category Hair and Makeup as the Baftas do, The Young Victoria would win it hands down. Of the voters forget to include hair in their consideration then Il Divo or Star Trek could win. My bet is on The Young Victoria.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Not much to add to what BJ's written here. Il Divo's nod is apparently 100% based on the lead character's look...but most voters will have no idea what the actor looks like to begin with, and I'd bet a good many have no idea what Andreotti looks like, either. Young Victoria's mention is clearly from the "and hairstyling" part of the category description, and it does have some elaborate curling (you'd have noticed this, BJ, had you seen the film after the nominations). But nothing extraordinary.

Star Trek, for Eric Bana alone, is a going-away winner.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I'm going to bump this, in case it got lost over the weekend.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

So District 9, which features tremendously showy make-up effects, in a genre this branch has never shied away from, in a critically acclaimed film that also was nominated for Best Picture, in a year without much competition in this category, doesn't get a nomination. Bizarre.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Oscar producers showcase the makeup in The Young Victoria during the ceremony. I can't remember a single memorable thing about the makeup or hair work in the film -- it seemed pretty much basic period work to me.

I assume the nomination for Il Divo comes from the transformation of actor Toni Servillo into the famous prime minister...but I'm not too familiar with the actor's work (haven't seen Gomorrah yet), and think voters, unaware of what the actor actually looks like, simply might not be able to tell what's makeup. Obviously this is a testament to the quality of the makeup -- it's not noticeable as a "transformation" -- but it's unlikely to help it triumph here. Plus, the low profile/subtitles are a killer when you've got...

...Star Trek on the ballot. I don't think the makeup work is a total knockout -- aside from some Spock ears and Eric Bana's creepy look, there's not an overwhelming amount of makeup in the film. But what's there is fun, and the re-imagining of iconic characters will surely win it votes. Plus, the film was a popular hit, and decently reviewed, and I'd be stunned if it lost to either of its under-the-radar competitors.

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”