Traditional topics - worst fears

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Fear: no Ponyo for animated; no Imaginarium for art direction

Hope: lots of noms for 500 Days of Summer, Star Trek and (most unlikely) Michelle Pfeiffer for Cheri.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Biggest fear: any of the Nine actresses showing up; screenplay nod for Avatar; Leona Lewis gets an Oscar invite; The White Ribbon misses cinematography.

Biggest Hope: Tilda Swinton for Julia; picture, actor, editing for (500 Days) of Summer; In the Loop for screenplay or (dare I hope) supporting actor; Star Trek in picture; Anthony Mackie for The Hurt Locker; Viggo Mortensen for The Road; The Road in cinematography/art direction; Anna Kendrick missing out; The White Ribbon gets director, screenplay, picture.

Edited By rudeboy on 1265093390
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Biggest fear: The Blind Side, The Hangover or Nine for Best Picture.

Biggest hope: anything more than Screenplay for (500) Days of Summer, especially Gordon-Levitt and Picture.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Biggest Hope: The Blind Side, The Hangover, Star Trek, Invictus and Nine for Best Picture. I will laugh and laugh, and rub it in the faces of anyone who thought a 10 Picture slot was a good idea.

Worstt Fear: AMPAS will claim it's proof that their new system works, and it becomes a permanent fixture.

Biggest Hope: The other five slots are taken up by low-grossing art films. I will rub it in the faces of anyone who felt this would give AMPAS an opportunity to shed their "snob" image.

Worst Fear: The Academy reverts back to five Best Picture slots next year.

Biggest Hope: Avatar receives no more than 10 nominees, feasibly missing out on Costume, Makeup, Song and especially Screenplay. This would give another film (most likely, Inglourious Basterds) a chance to equal Avatar's noms, and wouldn't leave The Hurt Locker too far behind in noms, either.

Worst Fear: Avatar exceeds Titanic in nominations.

Biggest Hope: No Best Picture nom for Up, Pixar's latest and least. They finally have a chance to nominate an animated film, but it's the wrong year to do it.

Biggest Fear: No Best Animated Feature for Coraline.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1265087995
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Biggest Fear: The Blind Side gets in Best Picture.

Biggest Hope: Nicolas Cage gets in Best Actor for Bad Lieutenant.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Biggest Hope: Joseph Gordon-Levitt is nominated for Best Actor and (500) Days Of Summer for Best Picture

Biggest Fear: Nine somehow makes it into the final 10.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Worst fear: The Hangover is nominated for best screenplay and/or best picture.

Biggest hope: Nine is completely shut out.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Biggest fear: There are a lot, figuring how many of this years films I feel are overrated, , but I would have to say the exclusion of Julianne Moore's radiant performance. And the less for District 9, whose popularity I will never get, the better.

Biggest hope: Anything (500) Days of Summer or Into the Loop...and Patton Oswalt in Best Actor!

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1265084807
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Thanks, OG.
Worst Fear: anything Hangover related
Biggest Hope: Samantha Morton in Supporting
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't remember how it works.

But, I have an alphabetical list posted on my website.

Worst Fear: Star Trek earns a Best Picture nomination.
Biggest Hope: District 9 makes a strong showing in the nominations count, including a Best Picture nomination.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Where are those night before Oscar Morning topics, Worst Fear and Greatest Hope, and the Alphabetical list so we can play along? Huh?

Anyway, here is a list for BP, possible nominees.

An Education
A Serious Man
A Single Man
The Blind Side
Crazy Heart
District 9
The Fantastic Mr Fox
(500) Days Of Summer
The Hangover
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Invictus