SAG: Ensemble

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sabin wrote:God forbid, Precious could upset. I don't see it happening. What was the last Best Picture movie with black people even IN it? Crash? They went with Crash to get away from the gays! The Departed? Look what happened to Anthony Anderson. Million Dollar Baby? Morgan Freeman was pretty goddamn helpful to massah in that one?
You crack me up.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Pitt's hilarious.

God forbid, Precious could upset. I don't see it happening. What was the last Best Picture movie with black people even IN it? Crash? They went with Crash to get away from the gays! The Departed? Look what happened to Anthony Anderson. Million Dollar Baby? Morgan Freeman was pretty goddamn helpful to massah in that one?
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Precious is one of five contenders this year, IMO.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Do you guys really think Precious could upset? I thought the movie was very solid overall, but I still think the Tyler Perry stamp might cost it some votes in the big category. Lionsgate does seem to be putting in extra work in the ads dept, though.

Edited By mashari on 1264463970
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

In the end who cares how many SAG awards anyone has? Has anyone's obituary ever read SAG winner so-and-so dies? The Oscar is still the only award that counts. De Niro has two of them. Eli Roth and the little girl from Mad Men have none, and probably never will.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Let's also remember that Robert De Niro hasn't really done anything worthy of consideration since the SAG awards have existed. It's not like they were around during his heyday.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:In case anyone is keeping track, Eli Roth now has more SAG Awards than Robert DeNiro
The little girl from Mad Men has more SAG awards than both of those guys.
She's a better actor than either of them.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FilmFan720 wrote:In case anyone is keeping track, Eli Roth now has more SAG Awards than Robert DeNiro
The little girl from Mad Men has more SAG awards than both of those guys.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

In case anyone is keeping track, Eli Roth now has more SAG Awards than Robert DeNiro
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Pitt was fantastic in Inglourious Basterds, along with everyone else in this movie.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Reza wrote:
Damien wrote:Nobody seemed to like Brad Pitt (I thought he was fine)
I agree. I thought he was a hoot and I usually can't stand him............second to La Cruise.
I'm with this group. Pitt, IMO, is best when he's doing crazy, oddball characters.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:Nobody seemed to like Brad Pitt (I thought he was fine)
I agree. I thought he was a hoot and I usually can't stand him............second to La Cruise.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I'm completely befuddled by this. Nobody seemed to like Brad Pitt (I thought he was fine) and theJewish soldiers in his group are pretty much non-distinctive, with none of the actors given much opportunity. Leaves you with Walz (whose performance I think is absurdly over-rated) and the two women, who are bith very good. But that doesn't make for a hell of an ensemble. And no, this does not propel Inglourious into an Oscar contender. For one thing, it's too goofy for Oscar voters. This is still a 3-picture race, with Precious the possible upset.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

It still mixes things up a bit, even if just a little. This win may not give the film a considerable boost but at least it's building stamina.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Zahveed wrote:Now we have a race.
No we don't, really. The front-runners remain Avatar and The Hurt Locker. Avatar wasn't nominated here and The Hurt Locker really doesn't have a strong ensemble. The three leads are brilliant, but the other roles are not all that important to the story. Inglourious Basterds has a great ensemble, Brad Pitt notwithstanding, with many scenes allowing for many of its cast to shine.

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”