Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:You must adore Love In The Afternoon, Big. And Sabrina, too. :D
You forgot Funny Face. :;):
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

You must adore Love In The Afternoon, Big. And Sabrina, too. :D
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Big Magilla wrote:Crazy Heart is, to me, an old man's fantasy. It was produced by Robert Duvall who at least in Tender Mercies had a woman close to his own age, not one young enough to be his daughter or grand-daughter.
Tess Harper is actually twenty years younger than Robert Duvall. The age difference between Bridges/Gyllenhaal is only eight years more. Both movies have the men involved with a woman young enough to be his daughter.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Crazy Heart is, to me, an old man's fantasy. It was produced by Robert Duvall who at least in Tender Mercies had a woman close to his own age, not one young enough to be his daughter or grand-daughter.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Reza wrote:
Damien wrote:
Reza wrote: Damien how did the film compare to Tender Mercies?
Crazy Heart = Reba McEntire

Tender Mercies = Carrie Underwood
I'm not familiar with Carrie Underwood but I'll assume you mean that, given a choice, you would rather attend a Reba McEntire concert.
Reba McEntire is a good, solid singer, just as Crazy Love is a well-crafted entertaining film. Carrie Underwood is an unaffecting bore, just like Tender Mercies.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:
Reza wrote:
Damien wrote: The film may not be great, but Bridges's performance is. (And the movie's not bad, it's just kind of routine.)
Damien how did the film compare to Tender Mercies?

I'm not familiar with Carrie Underwood but I'll assume you mean that, given a choice, you would rather attend a Reba McEntire concert.

I'm so happy for Jeff Bridges and I really don't care if he deserves the award as long as he wins.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Life has kept me from watching the SAG Awards until this afternoon, so here are my belated thoughts:

I thought Inglourious Basterds would win the Ensemble award, simply based on the big cast factor. (I guess Nine would have qualified for that too, had the movie not been terrible.) While I don't think this pushes the film into contention for the Best Picture Oscar, I think its stamina will definitely help in the Original Screenplay race, where it definitely looks like a front-runner to me.

Mo'Nique and Christoph Waltz keeping chugging along. Anyone dare to predict against them on Oscar night?

Jeff Bridges pretty much has this thing won, as well, I think. I thought Clooney might win here, given that he's never won a SAG, and given that Up in the Air had to have been far more widely screened than Crazy Heart. But Bridges's prize, and that standing ovation, solidifies the deal.

But on to the big object of discussion....

My, oh my, how the Best Actress race has changed over the past few weeks. A month ago, I'd been rooting against a Streep victory -- shouldn't they wait for something tremendous for Oscar #3? -- in the hope that her loss might mean a win for Carey Mulligan. (Silly me.) Now, I can only pray for Streep to prevail. Better a win for a fun performance in an entertaining movie by an actress who certainly deserves a third trophy than recognition for Bullock in a film as loathsome as The Blind Side.

I'm still thinking Meryl wins the Oscar. She did win here just last year, so there wasn't the it's-time-for-Meryl's-third-Oscar sentiment that I think will ultimately prevail with the Academy.

I have to admit I'm completely astonished that Bullock has managed to win as many precursors as she has. What's particularly perplexing to me is that I'd have trouble seeing this performance even earning a nomination in most years, whereas Gabourey Sidibe would be nomination-likely in many years, and Carey Mulligan nomination-certain in all but the most competitive rosters (like maybe '06).

All I know is, I'm really starting to dread the Oscars. For three of the four major awards to possibly go to films as lousy as Avatar and The Blind Side would be an embarrassment. Particularly tough for me is that my gang includes a number of people who personally know and love Sandy, and who have nothing but wonderful things to say about her. Far be it from me to spoil their Oscar night.

Obviously, others here like some of Oscar's recent Best Actress choices a lot less than I do -- I'd have to go back to Taylor and Butterfield 8 to find a performance and film I think are as unworthy of ascending the podium as Bullock and The Blind Side.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Reza wrote:
Damien wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I love Jeff Bridges and am happy to see him finally winning major awards but I wish they were for a better film than Crazy Heart.
The film may not be great, but Bridges's performance is. (And the movie's not bad, it's just kind of routine.)

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I love Jeff Bridges and am happy to see him finally winning major awards but I wish they were for a better film than Crazy Heart.
The film may not be great, but Bridges's performance is. (And the movie's not bad, it's just kind of routine.)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Edited By Damien on 1264313194
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Overall the best awards show thus far this year. It moved along quite well with just a couple of flat presentations - hambone Ray Ramano and one other I've gratefully forgotten.

I don't think I've ever seen George Clooney so loose.

I love Jeff Bridges and am happy to see him finally winning major awards but I wish they were for a better film than Crazy Heart.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1264303357
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I love Betty White. Such a tremendous woman.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Magilla, FilmFan, MovieWes and My predictions are all up on the site.

In addition, I will be doing like I did at the Globes posting all the winners as they are announced for discussion.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Let's remember that the Screen Actors Guild voters are ALL actors as members, not just Oscar voters. These are the people who vote for who they want to be. There are a significant number of out-of-work actors in the membership that have often distributed awards strangely, so Inglourious Basterds is definitely not out of the question with this group. Besides, it is the largest cast of the nominees, so it stands a better chance of appealing to more people.
Wesley Lovell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I have a hard time imagining Inglourioud Basterds winning Ensemble. Those performaces were all over the place.

Do they know that?
"How's the despair?"

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”