SAG Awards

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I have a hard time imagining Inglourioud Basterds winning Ensemble. Those performaces were all over the place.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I think Clooney will probably win best actor. He has only ever won an ensemble award (several times) for the TV program that launched his acting career. He is a big star in a well received film that is doing nicely at the box office.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

dws1982 wrote:I'm guessing a Jeff Bridges win tonight would put him pretty far out front for the Oscar, but I don't think a loss would torpedo his chances either. Crazy Heart has just expanded to 93 screens this weekend, so unless Fox Searchlight sent screeners to the SAG membership, there are going to be plenty of voters who never got to see it.
Speaking with some SAG friends, members of the nominating committee received Crazy Heart DVDs but the entire membership didn't.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Crumbs, a glance at anon's predictions illustrates just how flat the Oscar race has gotten. Predicting the SAG winners, essentially, means, taking a stab at guessing actress and stunt ensemble (I think Basterds has cast in the bag - I'd like to see The Hurt Locker get it for its three wonderful leads but no one else really got a look in). Everything else is locked and loaded. And whether Bullock or Streep wins tonight will pretty much decide the Oscar winner, too.

Anyway, I'm going to predict Sandy, and Star Trek for stunts.

Edited By rudeboy on 1264271352
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Ummm, anonymous, you know that there are only three nominees for Best Stunt Ensamble and District 9 isn't one of the three. They're Public Enemies, Star Trek and Transformers 2. With those being the only nominees, I'll have to go with Star Trek, but other than that, I think everything else you predicted pretty much matches up to what I'm predicting. The only possible upset would be Gabourey Sidibe for Actress if there is going to be a Bullock/Streep popularity divide vote. Mirren and Mulligan are both out of the running as far as I can tell.

Mo'Nique, Waltz and Bridges have it in the bag and Inglorious Basterds seems to be the only thing that can win at this point for ensamble. The Hurt Locker, while a very intense piece, is more of a three person show, Nine is just right out and An Education hasn't picked up enough steam, so the only other possible upset here would be Precious. And yes, dws, you may have to live with Eli Roth, Brad Pitt and Mike Myers winning, but could you really see Mariah Carey, Lenny Kravitz and Sherry Sheppard saying that they're SAG Award winners either, despite the fact that we already have to consider Ludacris a winner because he was part of the Crash ensamble? Basterds has this one in the bag.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

On one hand, despite my hatred of the movie, it would be kind of cool to see some excellent young actors like Michael Fassbender, August Diehl, and Daniel Bruhl win a SAG award. But that would also mean Brad Pitt, Eli Roth, and Mike Myers winning for performances that belong nowhere but on a Razzie ballot, so I couldn't really endorse a win by Basterds. I guess I'd vote for The Hurt Locker, somewhat half-heartedly. The actors were all very good (Anthony Mackie will probably make my Supporting Actor shortlist), but it's not exactly the kind of movie I think of when I think of an ensemble acting award.

I haven't seen many films from 2009, but 12, Two Lovers, and Summer Hours were all great ensemble pieces.

I'm guessing a Jeff Bridges win tonight would put him pretty far out front for the Oscar, but I don't think a loss would torpedo his chances either. Crazy Heart has just expanded to 93 screens this weekend, so unless Fox Searchlight sent screeners to the SAG membership, there are going to be plenty of voters who never got to see it.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Predictions:

OUTSTANDING CAST IN A MOTION PICTURE
Inglourious Basterds

OUTSTANDING LEADING MALE ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE
Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart

OUTSTANDING LEADING FEMALE ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE
Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING MALE ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE
Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds