SAG: Supporting Actor

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:
Damien wrote:
Uri wrote:Sometimes, when writing a post here, I become so entangled in my use of English the end result is grotesquely too grand and presumptuous and I find myself over expressing stuff just to show off an incidental pseudo mastery of this language. So I guess I should feel sympathy for Waltz and his über written, über rehearsed elaborate speeches. I don't.

He indeed comes off as extremely nerdy, but that shouldn't surprise anybody who saw IB – so is his performance in it. Now – evil can be manifested in nerdish like manners – Adolph Eichmanm was a prime historic example of such a villain, but in Waltz's case it's all about over calculated, over achieving acting, which never suggests any kind of real menace. Just like he acts in awards shows, he tried way too hard.
Thank you, Uri. You crystalized it beautifully.

And, Eric, Woody Harrelson is worthy, As is, even more so, Christian McKay in Me and Orson Welles, but, absurdly, he's being pushed for lead actor.
Christian McKay being pushed for Lead? That's news to me. He's nommed for Support at the BAFTA's.
On the screener DVD, McKay is listed under For Your Consideration as Best Actor.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Uri wrote:
Damien wrote:You crystalized it beautifully.
And by "it" are you referring to MY obnoxiousness or Waltz's? ???
Waltz's.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:
Uri wrote:Sometimes, when writing a post here, I become so entangled in my use of English the end result is grotesquely too grand and presumptuous and I find myself over expressing stuff just to show off an incidental pseudo mastery of this language. So I guess I should feel sympathy for Waltz and his über written, über rehearsed elaborate speeches. I don't.

He indeed comes off as extremely nerdy, but that shouldn't surprise anybody who saw IB – so is his performance in it. Now – evil can be manifested in nerdish like manners – Adolph Eichmanm was a prime historic example of such a villain, but in Waltz's case it's all about over calculated, over achieving acting, which never suggests any kind of real menace. Just like he acts in awards shows, he tried way too hard.

And, Eric, Woody Harrelson is worthy, As is, even more so, Christian McKay in Me and Orson Welles, but, absurdly, he's being pushed for lead actor.
Christian McKay being pushed for Lead? That's news to me. He's nommed for Support at the BAFTA's.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I'm not a good judge of speeches, and I don't really care anyway. Thank god awards are given (or should be given) based on the performance, and this actor gave a very good performance. That's all.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Damien wrote:You crystalized it beautifully.

And by "it" are you referring to MY obnoxiousness or Waltz's? ???
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Whatever keeps Tucci (be it for his absurdly negligible acquiescence to the Streeproller or his strictly Looney Tunes crazy in the other flick) or buff-bland Damon or Molina away from the podium is fine by me.

(I'm open to the possibility that Harrelson, who I haven't seen, is worthy.)

Edited By Eric on 1264317507
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

In defense of the man, I feel his award is well deserved. Somebody has to say it before the whole thread is dedicated to his nerdy demeanor.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Sometimes, when writing a post here, I become so entangled in my use of English the end result is grotesquely too grand and presumptuous and I find myself over expressing stuff just to show off an incidental pseudo mastery of this language. So I guess I should feel sympathy for Waltz and his über written, über rehearsed elaborate speeches. I don't.

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Worse than corny. He's a nerd and a bore.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

But charmingly corny and devoid of the usual long list of thank-yous to everyone he ever met in the business.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

anonymous wrote:I'm sure Christoph Waltz is a very nice man and a very talented actor but his acceptance speeches are kinda corny.

"Kinda corny" is understatement. A Christoph Waltz speech is like Michael Scott from The Office trying to be sincere.

Edited By dws1982 on 1264302798
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I'm sure Christoph Waltz is a very nice man and a very talented actor but his acceptance speeches are kinda corny.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Christoph Waltz - Inglourious Basterds
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”