GG: Drama Actress

mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Wow. Ya know, I never thought of it in that way and you may have a point, but I seriously doubt that the bubbly Sandra has given that much into the roles she handpicks. Of course one could argue that the subconscious could be the culprit in this kind of "cinematic depravity" if you will, but for now I'd say it's a mere coincidence.

With that said, if Julia(who turned down TBS) could win one for a hit biopic I don't see why peer Sandra shouldn't in this weak year. Gabourey is my personal pick, but she has little chance.

Edited By mashari on 1264136088
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Joey
Graduate

Post by Joey »

From "A Time to Kill" to "Crash" and now, "The Blind Side", Bullock may be approaching some kind of record for films where the virtues of white people are extolled at the expense of black people. Paying lip service to race equality while actually being racist is the new racism, and in that sense I guess, Bullock and her films are remarkably relevant.

She's still a mediocre actress though and has no business winning a Golden Globe and (potentially) an Oscar.

Edited By Joey on 1264105758
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Big Magilla wrote:I'm not getting all this talk about scars.

I was the one that alluded to the critical comparisons of Carey Mulligan to Audrey Hepburn. Maybe I need to see An Education again, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by it. Perhaps I was expecting too much.

I have seen Mulligan in other things including Bleak House for which she won an OFTA nomination as is alluded to in her IMDB bio. She is a bright young actress with strong potential. I think an Oscar at this point in her career might be too much too soon. Let's see where she goes from here.

Magilla, I concur. I didn't see what the big deal was with Education or Mulligan's dreary performance(aside from her soliloquy with Emma Thompson). Molina as the doting father and Pike as the ditzy, slightly envious blond were the real winners IMO. Frankly, I'm shocked that Mulligan was able to go so far in the critics award lineup.

Edited By mashari on 1263955439
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Even Damien agrees with me over Damien.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Italiano, this is one time I agree with you over Damien. Specifically, I think F. Murray Abraham was a great choice.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sonic Youth wrote:Thank god the Dallas Cowboys crashed and burned, nyeh-nyeh!

Actually, that felt pretty good.
That sentence will ALWAYS feel good.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think that may be the first mention I've seen for the OFTA.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm not getting all this talk about scars.

I was the one that alluded to the critical comparisons of Carey Mulligan to Audrey Hepburn. Maybe I need to see An Education again, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by it. Perhaps I was expecting too much.

I have seen Mulligan in other things including Bleak House for which she won an OFTA nomination as is alluded to in her IMDB bio. She is a bright young actress with strong potential. I think an Oscar at this point in her career might be too much too soon. Let's see where she goes from here.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Damien wrote:since the scar is the most iconic of film awards, I think it should go to real movie stars and not to the likes of Helen Hunt, F. Murray Abraham and Carey Mulligan.

Tell me (and especially THEM) that you are being sarcastic, Damien, because this is really the most absurd, reactionary thing I've read on this board in a very long time. But now, of course, they all will agree with you, so maybe you are right.

And how can they not agree with you, after all? It's the Bill Condon theory, that they were so busy desperately approving of last year. Big stars, big movies, big money. It's a concept of cinema that I personally find repellent, and I will always fight against it. But at least for this year, I'm prepared to lose.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1263812075
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Bog wrote:Damien, are you so offended by her albeit unnecessary comparisons to Audrey that you would actually deep down prefer Sandra Bullock to win over Carey Mulligan? (of course it's now Streep v. Bullock, but if that were not the case)

I don't think I read any comparisons of Mulligan to Audrey (if I did I put them completely out of my mind because it's such an absurd equation). No, I just hated Mulligan's movie for its reactionary social stance. Granted, if I see The Blind Side I'll probably hate that as well, but since the scar is the most iconic of film awards, I think it should go to real movie stars and not to the likes of Helen Hunt, F. Murray Abraham and Carey Mulligan.

Sonic, I'm just looking for some silver linings in some bad results. But there's nothing good at all that can be said about Robert Downey beating Joseph Gordon-Leavitt. You're just grumpy because Avatar won. :D

Edited By Damien on 1263797875
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Poor Damien seems very angry about something. All his reactions are something like "Thank god this film, that director, and the other performance didn't win", rather than "I'm happy this/he/she won."

On that note, I take back what I said about the New York Jets winning. Thank god the Dallas Cowboys crashed and burned, nyeh-nyeh!

Actually, that felt pretty good.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Damien, are you so offended by her albeit unnecessary comparisons to Audrey that you would actually deep down prefer Sandra Bullock to win over Carey Mulligan? (of course it's now Streep v. Bullock, but if that were not the case)
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

i thought this was going to be the one the precious gal was going to win....i've yet to see julie and julia so i'll wait to say i'm rooting for streep come oscar night...but i'm pretty sure i won't be rooting for this above average performance. I actually liked mulligan very much but i think a nomination is about all she deserves but she does deserve that much.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Well, looking on the bright side, this means the dreary Carey Mulligan isn't going to win an Oscar.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Good god, this night is sucking.

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”