GG: Drama Picture

jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Damien wrote:
anonymous wrote: So you'd much rather see Avatar win the Best Picture Oscar than The Hurt Locker, Damien?
Of the three major contenders, Up In The Air is by far the best but, flawed as it is, Avatar is a much more accomplished achievement than the banal mediocrity that is The Hurt Locker. IMHO.
I mean really, where were the hundreds of millions of dollars of special effects in THE HURT LOCKER? Where were the floating mountains, neon vistas, vicious beasts, etc? Most of all, where were the blue people? I demand blue people!

I mean THE HURT LOCKER looked so cheap! If you are not willing to spend half-a-billion dollars on a movie to entertain me, than clearly you are not worth my time as a viewer. If you are not willing to employee hundreds of people to make your film, than clearly you are unworthy of award recognition. If you are not willing to use stupid dialogue, flat acting, and directing that focuses solely on the visual effects to impress me, than clearly you are a lazy filmmaker. Most of all, if you are not willing to spell out your story for the idiot masses and make sure not a single person misses the clear political point you are making with your film, than your movie cannot be celebrated as great art.

The hell with your keen cinematic eye or your slow-burn storytelling or your lack of three-act structure and plot or your ambigous message about whether war is bad or good. The hell with everything you did. Your movie was boring compared to the awesomeness that is AVATAR.

Like GLADIATOR, AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, BEN-HUR, and many amazing spectacle films before it, AVATAR is definitely the film we want to represent the best of cinema in 2009. Just like we want THE HANGOVER to represent the best of comedy in 2009. The idiot masses have spoken by giving the Golden Globes huge ratings. The Oscars will follow suit if they know what is good for them.
Add Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen as the frontrunner for Adapted Screenplay and a surprise Megan Fox Best Actress nod and we'll have genuine Oscars to remember.

I'd TiVo that show and watch it twice a day til next year when Clash of the Titans win Best Picture of 2010.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Damien wrote:
anonymous wrote:
Damien wrote:Thank God The Hurt Locker's ridiculous run is over..

So you'd much rather see Avatar win the Best Picture Oscar than The Hurt Locker, Damien?

Of the three major contenders, Up In The Air is by far the best but, flawed as it is, Avatar is a much more accomplished achievement than the banal mediocrity that is The Hurt Locker. IMHO.

I mean really, where were the hundreds of millions of dollars of special effects in THE HURT LOCKER? Where were the floating mountains, neon vistas, vicious beasts, etc? Most of all, where were the blue people? I demand blue people!

I mean THE HURT LOCKER looked so cheap! If you are not willing to spend half-a-billion dollars on a movie to entertain me, than clearly you are not worth my time as a viewer. If you are not willing to employee hundreds of people to make your film, than clearly you are unworthy of award recognition. If you are not willing to use stupid dialogue, flat acting, and directing that focuses solely on the visual effects to impress me, than clearly you are a lazy filmmaker. Most of all, if you are not willing to spell out your story for the idiot masses and make sure not a single person misses the clear political point you are making with your film, than your movie cannot be celebrated as great art.

The hell with your keen cinematic eye or your slow-burn storytelling or your lack of three-act structure and plot or your ambigous message about whether war is bad or good. The hell with everything you did. Your movie was boring compared to the awesomeness that is AVATAR.

Like GLADIATOR, AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, BEN-HUR, and many amazing spectacle films before it, AVATAR is definitely the film we want to represent the best of cinema in 2009. Just like we want THE HANGOVER to represent the best of comedy in 2009. The idiot masses have spoken by giving the Golden Globes huge ratings. The Oscars will follow suit if they know what is good for them.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1263924315
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I have choice words for this... um... choice.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

All I can say is that, having been one of those trying (in vein) back in '97 to sell the positive aspects of Titanic to the snob contingent's deaf ears ... I'm finally getting a taste of my own medicine this time around. Avatar is just so frustratingly limited in so many respects. I'll even go so far as to retroactively join, in spirit, that '97 crowd who said even the F/X in Titanic were overrated in the sense that I don't really think Avatar was that visually splendiferous.

I have yet to see The Hurt Locker, but I gotta hope if it's between that, Avatar and Up in the Air ... that QT sneaks in from behind and breaks away from the pack.
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Really!?!

I actually didn't watch the Globes this evening--though I watched a movie on video that was roughly as long--but I can't decide if these surprise Drama / Comedy wins by blatantly mediocre "fun" movies would have made watching the show more interesting than I expected ... or less.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Damien wrote:
anonymous wrote:
So you'd much rather see Avatar win the Best Picture Oscar than The Hurt Locker, Damien?
That hurts.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

I liked Avatar but I do not think it will win the BP Oscar, nor do I believe it deserves to. Think of Atonement, Babel, Brokeback Mountain, The Aviator, The Hours, and that's just in this decade. I predict, once again, that neither Avatar (nor The Hangover!) will win the Oscar.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I would imagine that was sarcasm?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Edited By anonymous on 1263789992
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'll just remind myself that the New York Jets won the A.F.C. divisional playoffs earlier today.

The Turner Classic Movies network always has some interesting counter-programming on Oscar night. I wonder what it is this year?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Thank God The Hurt Locker's ridiculous run is over.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Voting for Avatar as best picture is like voting for Hitler as best person of the 20th century or Bush as the best American of the past decade – they might have been the most influential people of these respective times slots, maybe even the most representative of popular notions and trends, but goodness had nothing to do with that.
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Well, that was a waste.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”