Golden Globe Awards

dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

Gervais was my favorite part of the show. His opening was short and sweet and funny and his intros to the presenters were priceless....with the gibson line being perfect and jawdropping and had me laughing for the rest of the show. If he really isn't going to do it again, just go back to no host. I liked the marty tribute, i thought deniros last line was very nice....but i'm a fan of scorsese's and always have been so for me it was a good thing...and scorseses speech was very good. I'm very worried avatar is going all the way...i'm hoping its not because there is so much better but we'll see...long long way to go till the oscars. But its not looking good and i still have some things to see that i'm really looking forward to.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I have to say that I really don't wanna hear anyone ever again say that award shows "don't honor movies that regular folks like to watch". I mean, the shut the motherfucking hell up about that, seriously!

Also, I feel award shows are in a no-win situation. If they award something too popular, people will bitch. If they award something too high-brow or obscure to "regular people", people will bitch.

And I wouldn't be too surprised if desperate-for-high-ratings NBC asked the HFPA to vote for popular movies to boost the ratings of the telecast.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Big Magilla wrote:I still think Bigelow has Best Director in the bag.

Best Picture is down to Avatar and The Hurt Locker.
You know, I had really doubted the viability of an Up in the Air/Bigelow Picture/Director split, as had been mentioned often...but an Avatar/Bigelow split would be much more along the lines of past splits.

Still, the precedent for the genre-fare Avatar winning the Best Picture Oscar still seems thin to me, though the precedent for box office dud The Hurt Locker isn't exactly much better.

And maybe, as others have said, Up in the Air IS this year's Sideways, winning a deserved screenplay prize but nothing else.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:I've always said that Scorsese was a better film preservationist than he was a director, but he's a pretty damn good director, too. However his first love clearly is film preservation and he gave a great speech that veered quickly away from his own accomplishments into his favorite subject.
I've always found it confounding how Scorsese could speaking so knowingly and perceptively about other people's films -- including wonderful under-rated directors auch as Jacques Tourneur and Mitchell Leisen -- and yet not apply the attributes of those movies to his own pictures.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:It's reassuring to discover Cameron is still a boor.

I think best picture is still very much in doubt. What you say about supporting the big movies, BJ, may be true of these easily-intimidated groups, but I wonder if Academy members might get their backs up about it instead. And, remember: that long gap between all the other awards and the Oscars might lead to mischeivous voting.

Though some things are set. After that ovation, does anyone doubt Jeff Bridges is winning the Oscar this year?

Sandra Bullock. Good god.

The Hangover. Worst winner in that category since..what? Mrs. Doubtfire? Green Card? Ever?
Agreed on all points. Cameron is an insufferable boor. Teh Hangover is pure crap.

Chrstoph Waltz and Mo'Nique were already Oscar front-runners, but at this point I would be shocked if either lost.

Jeff Bridges' standing ovation was for his career and his Oscar win will be career recognition as well.

The only acting Oscar up in the air at this point is best actress - Streep or Bullock? Maybe the SAGs will provide a clearer picture, maybe not.

I still think Bigelow has Best Director in the bag.

Best Picture is down to Avatar and The Hurt Locker.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

By the way, kaytodd, even odder was them playing New York New York to accompany Scorsese to the podium, when, as you say, it was rather conspicuously omitted from an otherwise near-complete list of films.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I've always said that Scorsese was a better film preservationist than he was a director, but he's a pretty damn good director, too. However his first love clearly is film preservation and he gave a great speech that veered quickly away from his own accomplishments into his favorite subject.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

It's reassuring to discover Cameron is still a boor.

I think best picture is still very much in doubt. What you say about supporting the big movies, BJ, may be true of these easily-intimidated groups, but I wonder if Academy members might get their backs up about it instead. And, remember: that long gap between all the other awards and the Oscars might lead to mischeivous voting.

Though some things are set. After that ovation, does anyone doubt Jeff Bridges is winning the Oscar this year?

Sandra Bullock. Good god.

The Hangover. Worst winner in that category since..what? Mrs. Doubtfire? Green Card? Ever?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Damien wrote:The Scorsese tribute reminded us that this man has never made a completely successful film,
No it didn't. But you did.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I told my friend about half way through the show, I agree 100% with all the movie awards so far. And indeed, the early winners -- Mo'Nique, Waltz, The White Ribbon, Up in the Air's script, Up, Giacchino -- I thought were all deserving.

I should have held back that comment, because then things for me went off the rails almost entirely and never recovered. First, Cameron, my least favorite of the director nominees, broke Bigelow's streak. Next up, The Hangover being declared the year's Best Comedy?!?!?! Barf. And then Bullock?!?! Yuck. How could I have ever thought my poor Carey Mulligan would be a genuine contender for that Best Actress Oscar?

It was bad enough during the cut to commercials that the announcer mentioned Avatar as the Best Drama favorite EVERY damn time. And, then, well, it obviously won. Now not only do I have egg on my face for laughing at everyone who thought it was a genuine threat for Best Picture, but now I'm truly starting to dread the Oscars. Clearly really commercial films -- Avatar, The Hangover, The Blind Side, Sherlock Holmes -- dominated tonight, and I'm starting to feel like the message the Academy has sent this year, that BIG HITS need to be rewarded, has infiltrated award voter consciousness to a rather unprecedented degree. Even at the Globes, we haven't had an evening so dominated by box office smashes in the top categories in a long time.

At least I enjoyed The Hurt Locker party while it lasted.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The Scorsese tribute reminded us that this man has never made a completely successful film, although Last Temptation of Christ comes closest.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, if the name of Satyajit Ray doesn't ring a bell for them after his Honorary Oscar then it's not surprising that Hollywood thinks remaking Karate Kid is a great idea.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1263785495
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:Marty's was a great speech, but it seemed to fly over the heads of many in the audience.
Doesn't seem that surprising...
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Marty's was a great speech, but it seemed to fly over the heads of many in the audience.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Reza, you'll be interested to know that Marty gave a Satyajit Ray shout-out in his speech.

Also, Ousmane Sembene.

Consider this the high cultural watermark in the entire history of the Golden Globes, past present and future.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”