GG: TV Comedy/Musical Series

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Enjoy Glee while it's good, because on Ryan Murphy shows, the bottom usually falls out in terms of quality after about one season.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:Ryan Murphy is Bill Condon's ex. I used to hang out with him a lot. Never suspected he would become this successful. But it must be said that Running With Scissors is a terrible, terrible film.
I couldn't agree more with your assessment of Running With Scissors but Zach's review of Glee is spot on. The "Wheels" episode is very sweet but I would recommend watching all thirteen one-hour episodes in order or you might not be able to follow the inter-relationships which change and grow from week to week.
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

I get a big kick out of Glee--to me it seems it's never quite as strong as it could (or should) be, but at the same time, it is the first live-action network fiction TV show that's hooked me since ... well, probably in a decade. (Unless I'm forgetting something blatant.) The American version of The Office, by comparison, seems fine but if I never see another episode again I would be more than fine.

And on top of this, I don't even like most of the music they use--in original versions or Glee form. Though the excerpt the cast does of Nelly's "Ride wit Me" is phenomenal - see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEx9rLv0dOY

But there's something special about Glee, which accomplishes more with its typically slipshod, broad brushstrokes characterization than any other recent show I've sampled. There's something Farrellyesque (and I mean this as a high compliment) about the embrace the show makes toward social outcasts, and even the popular kids who occasionally play the role of outcast. Again: it's all very broad, even stereotypical, but there's genuine affection for misfits here, and the biggest testament to this is how they're allowed to also be cruel, petty, and unlikable. Plus, Jane Lynch is hilarious.

Damien, you should definitely check out a couple of episodes--there's one episode ("Wheels") that's a very fine testament to kindness. I think you'd like it.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

dylanfan23 wrote:and this is a terrible terrible show if you asked me...i guess its not my cup of tea....i really don't watch tv but i love what i've seen from modern family so i was rooting for that...and i've hated what i've seen from glee.
I've never seen an episode. Except for MSNBC and House Hunters I watch almost no TV.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

and this is a terrible terrible show if you asked me...i guess its not my cup of tea....i really don't watch tv but i love what i've seen from modern family so i was rooting for that...and i've hated what i've seen from glee.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Ryan Murphy is Bill Condon's ex. I used to hang out with him a lot. Never suspected he would become this successful. But it must be said that Running With Scissors is a terrible, terrible film.

Edited By Damien on 1263788904
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I just finished watching the first 13 episodes on DVD after having seen only one part of one episode.

If you liked the original Fame or the humor beneath the surface of of creator Ryan Murphy's Nip/Tuck you should find something to like here.

Matthew Morrison (The Light in the Piazza/South Pacific) and Lea Michele (Spring Awakening) are Tony nominated Broadway stars so it's no surprise that their singing is pretty nigh perfect but the rest of the singing and dancing cast is pretty damn good, too, and Jane Lynch makes a great non-singing, non-dancing villain.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

danfrank wrote:I'm coming out of the closet as a Gleek. Yea!
I'm in the process of turning into one.

This is not a surprise. The Golden Globes wouldn't resist finally awarding an actual MUSICAL in the Best Television Series - Musical or Comedy categories.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I very much enjoy Glee, but you have to really be into the style of presentation. It is not for everyone.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I'm coming out of the closet as a Gleek. Yea!
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I've never even heard of this show.

I was hoping for either 30 Rock or The Office to win.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Glee
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”