Behind the scenes

Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

So, how long before the Oscars are broadcast on MTV?
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I didn't even know who this John Hughes was, and had to check on Wikipedia. Never seen any of his movies. Was he so famous in the US?
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

They destroyed the Oscars! They destroyed the god-damned Oscars! :angry: :(

John Hughes? Taylor Lautner? So You Think You Can Dance? Friends announcing the nominees?

I thought the worst part of the Oscars this year was the possibility of STAR TREK and THE BLIND SIDE being nominated for Best Picture and AVATAR winning every award. Apparently I was very, very wrong.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:Let's not have the same argument all over again.

If I were an Oscar nominee I would love to have a former winner come out and sing my praises whether I were nominated as an actor or a technician. It would be lovely if they could do that in every category but time constraints would prohibit it. Limiting it to the four acting categories and maybe best director is gratifying to the audience (or most of it) as well because we know these people or at least their public personae and feel a connection to them.

On the other hand if I were an Oscar nominee and a friend who was not a previous winner came out and said how wonderful I was I might not feel that was any more special than having the same person speak at a dinner in my honor. There is nothing about it that says "Oscar". It's just silly.
Agree 100% Big. It's much more meaningful when words of praise come from an objective source than a pal, who could be expected to say nice things, a la an AFI Lifetime Achievement Award. And the point of having previous winners speaking to the nominees was a way of welcoming them to a very elite club.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Big Magilla wrote:Let's not have the same argument all over again.

If I were an Oscar nominee I would love to have a former winner come out and sing my praises whether I were nominated as an actor or a technician. It would be lovely if they could do that in every category but time constraints would prohibit it. Limiting it to the four acting categories and maybe best director is gratifying to the audience (or most of it) as well because we know these people or at least their public personae and feel a connection to them.

On the other hand if I were an Oscar nominee and a friend who was not a previous winner came out and said how wonderful I was I might not feel that was any more special than having the same person speak at a dinner in my honor. There is nothing about it that says "Oscar". It's just silly.
Nice opininon, Magilla. I was thinking the same about it.

It's going to be like ''Here's your Uscar buddy, come up and get it.'' I can predict a lack of professional dignity. Hope it doesn't become a kind of a parody.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

OscarGuy wrote:And, has anyone else realized that the ratings are going to be up simply because of Avatar's nomination.
We're jumping to several conclusions here... also several sharks.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Let's not have the same argument all over again.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1263475923
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:No, you weren't right Italiano. There's a huge difference between style and panache; and pointless ratings mongering.
And now finally we have the winner!
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

No, you weren't right Italiano. There's a huge difference between style and panache; and pointless ratings mongering.

And, has anyone else realized that the ratings are going to be up simply because of Avatar's nomination. So, when the ratings are up, the Academy is suddenly going to think "Hey, Shankman's ideas are working" and will re-hire him even though we all know that it won't be because of the awards, but because of films nominated...so, once again, the Academy will take a negative and think it's a positive and flog the dead whore.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1263471206
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:Having five "friends" of the nominees introduce the five finalists in just two of the four acting categories makes no sense and is an insult to the supporting nominees.
And wasn't last year an insult to all the other categories then?

As I said after last year's cerimony, when this board suddenly became a "praising" contest a la They Shoot Horses, Don't They, with applause and empty words in place of dancing (the winner? As Ingrid Bergman said, "It's a tie!", but I won't say between whom), it was just the beginning of a dangerous trend. Now you see that I was right, and you are all free to admit it.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I'm fine with Taylor Lautner presenting. I'm fine with the So You Think Can Think You Can Dance winners being part of the Oscar dance number but these are simply BULLSHIT.

Adam Shankman has Twitter. He's gonna hear from me!
I'm afraid it's going to me all the So You Think You Can Dance contestants, not just the winners in that opening number.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for Meryl Streep. Not only has she waited over a quarter century for her latest Oscar to win for one of her lesser performances, she'll be part of the worst show in Oscar history.

Worst and quite possible, most popular since the 1997 awards when a Cameron film last one a few Oscars.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:
anonymous wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:This year's Oscars program already has all the delectable earmarks of being a deliciously hilarious fiasco -- which could only be expected when Shankman and Mechanic signed on. People from "So You Think You Can Dance" will be in the Kodak Theatre that night.
Now if only they could get Rob Lowe to sing and dance again with Snow White.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Last year's innovation of five previous winners in each acting category introducing the current five nominees was a lovely gesture. Having five "friends" of the nominees introduce the five finalists in just two of the four acting categories makes no sense and is an insult to the supporting nominees.

I'd rather see and hear Shirley MacLaine or Sissy Spacek say something nice about Meryl Streep than see and hear Jack Nicholson say it. And who are they going to get for Carey Mulligan, Shia LeBeuf?
And who are they going to get for Gabourey "Gabby" Sidibe -- the woman working the counter at the chicken restaurant Precious rips off? It would be unseemly to get Oprah, as she is one of the film's producers.
Sherri Shepherd, co-host of Teh Biew and the woman behind the counter at the school.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:From Hitflix:

- A tribute to John Hughes is currently planned outside of the traditional In Memoriam segment.

Bergman and Antonioni were far more important contributors to cinema and THEY didn't get a separate segment. So this is total bullshit.

I guess Gen X in control means John Hughes is actually an seminal filmmaker. Wonder what Mr. Shankman will have to show regarding Eric Rohmer.

This year's Oscars program already has all the delectable earmarks of being a deliciously hilarious fiasco -- which could only be expected when Shankman and Mechanic signed on. People from "So You Think You Can Dance" will be in the Kodak Theatre that night.

Edited By Damien on 1263462299
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:From Hitflix:

- A tribute to John Hughes is currently planned outside of the traditional In Memoriam segment.

Bergman and Antonioni were far more important contributors to cinema and THEY didn't get a separate segment. So this is total bullshit.

Also, the "friends" of nominees thing is also bullshit.

I'm fine with Taylor Lautner presenting. I'm fine with the So You Think Can Think You Can Dance winners being part of the Oscar dance number but these are simply BULLSHIT.

Adam Shankman has Twitter. He's gonna hear from me!

Edited By anonymous on 1263454722

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”