BFCA Awards

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Does anyone tune in to the Broadcast Critics Awards to see a good show? I certainly don't. The only reason I watch these on occasion is to gauge the way the nominees and winners react when their names are called or not. So not expecting much of Kristen Choenweth I was surprised by how well she took command from the start. This was Hugh Jackman-Neil Patrick Harris territory. not the usual bland hosting by uncomfortable talking heads. She was clearly enjoying her moment. Unfortunately the moment didn't last.

What I didn't like:

The vapid and silly tribute to John Hughes and his lame comedies in the week that the wry, subtle comic genius, Eric Rohmer died. These people are critics?

The forced babbling of the presenters. Zachary Quinto was particularly lame and what was that business with Sarah Silverman and Adam Lambert? Why do people think that woman is funny? She's just crude and rude.

What I did like:

The observations of the non-winners such as Morgan Freeman who looked pissed to be there knowing he wasn't going to win. Ditto Woody Harrelson. And Carey Mulligan who all but burst into tears when they announced Sandra Bullock as Meryl Streep's co-winner.

On the other hand, nice reactions from other non-winners including Matt Damon, Emily Blunt and all of Mo'Nique's co-nominees.

I also liked most of the acceptance speeches, especially Mo'Nique's. I loved most of Sandra Bullock's schtick from her her initial "this is bullshit" remark to her lip-lock with Meryl Streep to her classy thank-yous.

A couple that made me groan: Jeff Bridges' rambling and Jason Reitman's endorsement of the John Hughes tribute while forgetting to thank his wife, which Chenoweth later did for him.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1263669903
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The only way I got through the end of the show was by muting whenever Chenoweth was on, and dis-muting to hear winners.

In the how-soon-we-forget department, they also had a tie last year, with both Meryl and Hathaway winning best actress. I said at that time what Eric said here: it was strictly a way to preserve their precious "we're the best predictors" streak (which failed anyway last year, though not for any reason they could foresee). I think any thin claim this group had to being a critics' group rather than an Oscar-whoring claque went out the window the moment they named Bullock. The lowest podunk critics' group didn't vote for Bullock, but this bunch of toads did.

Which, to echo Sonic and BJ, makes the fact that they chose The Hurt Locker sadly more important to that film's Oscar chances than any of its previous awards. Though I would caution: they not only chose LA Confidential in '97, they also went along with the citical wave in voting for Sideways in '04 (and of course Brokeback in '05). So it's good news but not on a take-it-to-the-bank-now level.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Mister Tee wrote:I feel unclean for even half-watching this show.

But Meryl Streep and Sandra Bullock locking lips was hot. Luckily, that was almost the only part of the show I saw.

Edited By Greg on 1263665976
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sonic Youth wrote:But re: Katheryn Bigelow. I don't think I've ever seen her before. My goodness, what an attractive woman she is! And she's nearly 60 years old.

She is pretty damn fine. I can't believe she's the same age as my dad. Jeremy Renner was looking pretty hot last night, too.

The show itself was absolutely embarrassing. Jokes fell flat, transitions were non-existent, Chenowith's opening number made no sense (she was apologizing for it halfway through! And was one of the lines really "I'm not a Jew"? Jeez.). Just a total shit-show only partially saved by some very classy speeches (Mo'Nique, in particular).

Tobey Maguire looked like he had just literally rolled out of bed.

Re: the Sandra/Meryl tie: they've had them here before. Amy Adams (Junebug) and Michelle Williams (Brokeback Mountain) tied for Best Supporting Actress at the 2006 show.

Edited By flipp525 on 1263656424
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I didn't watch this show because I was still at work (not that I would have anyway...this organization drives me more bonkers than any other)...but...

THE HURT LOCKER WON!!!!

This strikes me as big news coming from this group, as Sonic Youth suggests.

(Note: please wait until tomorrow to remind me that in early '98, L.A. Confidential ALSO won this prize...before, well, another little movie took over the awards race.)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

A very timely win for The Hurt Locker which was just released on DVD this week.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:Unless the colluded to create the tie, which I sincerely doubt, it does look rather suspicious, but who cares. It created a moment in an otherwise dull show, so I'm thankful for that. But, I have a feeling Best Picture's going to be a bit boring, so wouldn't it be great if something that isn't Avatar or The Hurt Locker won? Shake things up a bit!
Speaking as someone who hasn't seen "The Hurt Locker", I think it's having won Best Picture is very exciting. I understand wanting to see another film win for the sake of non-repitition. It has won a lot of precursors already, sure. But a film with no stars that only made 10 million at the box office winning THIS particular precursor, as conventional as can be and televised to boot? It may not shake up the Oscar race, but it's a shake up of a different sort.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Lovely speech by Kathryn Bigelow, awful rambling one by Jeff Bridges and surprisingly rambling one by Meryl Streep who should be used to winning by now. The big surprise, though, was Sandra Bullock. Although I've predicted her a Golden Globe, a SAG award and an Oscar, I never thought she'd win a critics' award, even one from these guys but there you go. Nice impromptu speech considering she didn't think she had a prayer.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mister Tee wrote:I feel unclean for even half-watching this show.
I've learned long ago not to pay this show any mind. We have it on the background while we're cleaning the kitchen, and stop to watch only when we hear some presenter read the list of nominees.

But re: Katheryn Bigelow. I don't think I've ever seen her before. My goodness, what an attractive woman she is! And she's nearly 60 years old.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Unless the colluded to create the tie, which I sincerely doubt, it does look rather suspicious, but who cares. It created a moment in an otherwise dull show, so I'm thankful for that. But, I have a feeling Best Picture's going to be a bit boring, so wouldn't it be great if something that isn't Avatar or The Hurt Locker won? Shake things up a bit!
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Tie for best actress is pretty gutless, but will likely help them preserve their precious, unimpeachable Oscar prognosticating record.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

While I don't want her to win for this performance, I do love watching Meryl deliver speeches.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Suddenly, Avatar went from 1 to 6 in one fell swoop. I was wondering how they were going to handle so many awards unawarded, but it is kind of unfortunate and it does take away the fun of a sweep.
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think her Nein joke would have been funnier had she been at the Nine table slamming on the table there and then switched to the Inglourious Basterds table.
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I thought Kristen Chenoweth started out great, but she's trying too hard now.

Classiest moment so far: Mo'Nique's acceptance speech.

Worst so far (tie): The John Hughes tribute and the idiots from The Hangover.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1263611173

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”