Karen O not eligible for Oscar - among a few others.......

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

They created an "original song score" category for these situations, but since there's seldom more than one or two of note each year, they haven't created the category since the 1980s.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

That kind of makes sense. Though the score of most songs in these kinds of films are the basis of what make them award worthy, most of the film's score is found within the song - so to nominate a song, or multiple songs, for said film would theoretically guarantee a score nomination under old rules.*

*I have no standing example for this claim.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sadly, it's not, Magilla. They have used that excuse countless times to disqualify Disney scores since those rules were enacted. Matter of fact, I call it the Alan Menken rule. Enchanted was disqualified for the exact same reason.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Diminished in impact by the predominant use of songs? That's a new one.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Randy Newman's Princess and the Frog score has been DQ'ed:
Although Randy Newman’s score to Disney’s animated film “The Princess and the Frog” was originally deemed to be eligible in the original score category at the Oscars, the Music Branch Executive Committee met on Monday and disqualified Newman’s music from consideration.

The score, the committee determined, runs afoul of an AMPAS rule disallowing “scores diluted by the use of tracked themes or other preexisting music, diminished in impact by the predominant use of songs, or assembled from the music of more than one composer.”
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

rain bard, I haven't seen Moon, but the other four you cite would be highly worthy.

I would also stump for A Single Man.

Edited By The Original BJ on 1262666204
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

What was the reasoning behind Karen O's and Carter Burwell's disqualification? I thought they ditched that silly "no collaboration" rule.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Is there a clause in the music branch's eligibility rules which states that anyone who is somewhat interesting is automatically disqualified?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Pretty sure this is the first year I've seen a full list of eligible scores.

I still have lots to see/hear, but if it were up to me I'd vote:

THE FANTASTIC MR. FOX
THE INFORMANT!
MOON
PONYO
UP

But of those, I suspect only THE INFORMANT! and UP have much chance for nominations. I guess James Horner's AVATAR score will nab one of the other three slots, despite being arguably the worst element of the film. What else do people think are likely to fill out the category?
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

From The Wrap:

Eno, Karen O, Burnett Not Eligible in Oscar Score Category

By Steve Pond
Published: January 04, 2010

Apparently, it’s not a good year to be a pop musician trying to win consideration from the Academy’s music branch. As usual, several prominent scores have failed to qualify for or opted out of the original-score Oscar, with this year’s victims including Brian Eno, Karen O and T Bone Burnett.

Others whose music is ineligible include Carter Burwell, Erran Baron Cohen and moonlighting actor Jason Schwartzman.

Eno’s score for “The Lovely Bones,” a haunting and effective use of the composer’s music both new and old, was not submitted to the Academy for consideration. Neither was Burnett's and Stephen Bruton's score to "Crazy Heart," which had been singled out by the Los Angeles Film Critics Association.

Yeah Yeah Yeah’s frontwoman Karen O, and Burwell, who co-wrote the music for “Where the Wild Things Are,” both submitted their work to the Academy but were disqualified by the music branch.

Notable scores have been disqualified in the past by the Academy’s music branch, which has strict rules for qualifying in the category. In 2007, for instance, Jonny Greenwood’s score to “There Will Be Blood” was eliminated from contention for containing too much pre-existing music, including compositions by Brahms and Arvo Pärt.

One section of the rules reads as follows:

“[S]cores diluted by the use of tracked themes or other preexisting music, diminished in impact by the predominant use of songs, or assembled from the music of more than one composer shall not be eligible.”

(The Academy does make an exception if “two composers function as equal collaborators in producing the score, each contributing a substantial amount of original music for the film.”)

Eno’s music to “The Lovely Bones,” which incorporates several older compositions by the pioneering rock and ambient musician (right), is ineligible by the composer’s own choice. According to a spokesperson for the film, Eno simply felt that he didn’t have time to submit the required paperwork and submit to the type of publicity campaign necessary. (Eno photo by Sergio Dionisio/Getty Images)

The scores to both “Where the Wild Things Are” and “Crazy Heart” make substantial use of music from songs that were written for the films. (Two songs from each film are eligible in the best original song category.)

Fox Searchlight did not include the "Crazy Heart" score in its “for your consideration” listing on the film’s screeners. Paramount and Warner Bros., however, did suggest nominations in the category on the "Lovely Bones" and “Wild Things” screeners, respectively.

In addition to “Wild Things” and “The Lovely Bones,” other ineligible scores that had been the subject of ads or FYC screener listings include “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” (Nicholas Hooper), “The Blind Side” (Carter Burwell again), “Precious” (Mario Grigorov), “Bruno” (Erran Baron Cohen) and “Funny People” (Michael Andrews and Jason Schwartzman).

Overall, only 81 film scores qualified, giving the category by far the smallest field among the 15 categories for which ballots went out last week. By comparison, 274 films qualified for best picture, best film editing, best cinematography and the two sound categories.

The eligible films:

ADAM
ADORATION
ADVENTURES OF POWER
ALIENS IN THE ATTIC
AMELIA
ASTRO BOY
BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF CALL NEW ORLEANS
BRIGHT STAR
BROKEN EMBRACES
BROTHERS
BY THE PEOPLE: THE ELECTION OF BARACK OBAMA