The ASC Nominees

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:Bruno Delbonnel twice, it should be noted.
I find it kind of disheartening that his great work on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is being roundly ignored this year. It's just as good as his previous two noms.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Looking back at the 10-films lists of the late 30s and early 40s, you certainly do have those odd statistical anomalies that never would have appeared on a five-film slate, or even be mentioned...think Grand Illusion in 1938, or even films like The Ox-Bow Incident which garnered only a Best Picture nomination. Could The White Ribbon be this year's Grand Illusion?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I agree, rain bard. Until that first set of ten comes out, we have no idea what the new normal will be, and for the moment people are mostly expanding their field based on past results -- with A Serious Man maybe occupying the outer edge of what most are able to envision. A few months back, many were even suggesting that, had the new system been in effect in
'04, Vera Drake might still not have made it, despite writing/directing/acting nods, because it just didn't feel like a best picture type film. It may be we're underestimating a small but concentrated pocket of more art-appreciating voters for whom the compromise candidates of old will not be of interest, and who might be just numerous enough to propel something that seems unlikely onto the best picture slate.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Mister Tee wrote:especially one not in the general best picture race?
I keep thinking that doubling the number of nominees is going to do things to the best picture slate that we longtime prognosticators can't expect, yet almost all BP predictions I've seen don't seem to stray far from the kinds of films we'd predict if there were 5 slots this year. For a while I've been wondering if a "not in the general best picture race" film like The White Ribbon might crack the top ten thanks to a coterie of passionate supporters too small to go noticed in a five-wide field.

It appears that there's at least one contingent of likely voters who are considering the film. Interesting that it's the cinematographers, surely the group least likely to watch the contenders on screener, if they can possibly get to an Academy screening.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

ASC & Foreign Nominees:

2004: A Very Long Engagement
2001: Amelie
2000: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
1987: The Last Emperor

And that's it. All four earned Oscar nominations.

Bruno Delbonnel twice, it should be noted.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

The Original BJ wrote:GASP! Great for The White Ribbon!

I thought MAYBE the Academy would go for it, but I never thought the more mainstream ASC would. Wow. Now, I'll be really disappointed if it doesn't make the Oscar list.
If you look at the past decade nominations of the ASC, they have never nominated a foreign film and then not have that film nominated for its cinematography by the Academy. I think THE WHITE RIBBON is here to stay.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Can someone with better recall tell me -- how many times previous has this guild nominated a foreign language film...especially one not in the general best picture race? I know we've had multiple such instances at AMPAS over recent years, but it seems to me they rarely shown up at ASC. Which is my way of saying, this would appear to be huge news for White Ribbon.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It's Dion Beebe. When Michael Mann uses him, it's Best Cinematography. When Rob Marshall uses him, it's Most Cinematography. Read your history books.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'll disagree, but that's probably why it's nominated here because others disagree and think the cinematography was one of the film's best elements.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

What is Nine doing in this line-up? The cinematography, like most everything else connected with the film, was horrid.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:Barry Ackroyd, BSC for The Hurt Locker
Dion Beebe, ASC, ACS for Nine
Christian Berger, AAC for The White Ribbon
Mauro Fiore, ASC for Avatar
Robert Richardson, ASC for Inglorious Basterds
Could very well be our Oscar nominees though I think Lance Acord (Where The Wild Things Are) or Roger Deakins (A Serious Man) COULD still sneak in there somewhere.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

On nominations day, The White Ribbon's (possible) inclusion in the Best Cinematography category would have been one of the most pleasant surprises of the year. The problem of all these precursors is that, if it happens, it will be less surprising now; but still the proof that nominations & awards can still get it right sometimes and recognize, in the year of Avatar, The Hurt Locker and The Blind Side, TRUE art.

Because the cinematography of The White Ribbon is, simply, a work of art. And the film itself deserves AT LEAST an adjective which I wouldn't use for many other movies I've seen recently. It's intelligent.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

GASP! Great for The White Ribbon!

I thought MAYBE the Academy would go for it, but I never thought the more mainstream ASC would. Wow. Now, I'll be really disappointed if it doesn't make the Oscar list.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Deakins snubbed. This looks awfully close to what the list might be.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Ok. Their Facebook page was updated with the info, so your list is now official.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”