American Cinema Editors Awards

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Good to see (500) Days of Summer get some love. Here's to hoping it transfers over.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'd say (more or less echoing Sabin) the lumpiness of Inglourious Basterds' structure works against it in this category -- even those of us who liked the film thought some sequences went on way too long, virtually unedited.

Star Trek is a possibility -- though I still think a marginal one. For me, the amazement is how District 9 is shaping up. It could arrive on nominations morning among the leaders -- film, director, screenplay, art direction, sound, editing, visual effects, makeup are all possible mentions. Who thought that three weeks ago?
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Star Trek is doing pretty well with the guilds, having received nominations from the PGA, WGA, and ACE. Does this put it on track to receive a Best Picture nomination? It's looking more and more likely everyday.

I also just realized... no Inglourious Basterds!!! :O

Edited By MovieWes on 1263275862
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

From AwardsDaily, the doc list..

Documentary:
The Cove-Geoffrey Richman
Food, Inc.-Kim Roberts
This Is It-Don Brochu

Edited By MovieWes on 1263274587
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think Avatar, The Hurt Locker, and Up in the Air are locked in. The final two spots are between District 9, Inglourious Basterds, and I guess Star Trek. I can understand how Basterds got shut out. It's a well-edited film but strangely-paced, whereas Star Trek is a sleek, efficient genre film. Right now, I'm going to predict Basterds gets in.

Bad for Nine.

Edited By Sabin on 1263276554
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

From Tapley's site; he says they were announced this morning.

Drama:
“Avatar”
“District 9″
“The Hurt Locker”
“Star Trek”
“Up in the Air”

Comedy or Musical:
“(500) Days of Summer”
“The Hangover”
“It’s Complicated”
“Julie & Julia”
“A Serious Man”